Steering seal leak repair on a 1993 2859

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering seal leak repair on a 1993 2859

Over the past year I have been gathering input and information from the BOC on a slow leak around the steering assembly. I finally made a decision to deal with this issue, as I do not like any water in the bilge. The slow leak occurred when the boat was underway and top of the outdrive under the water. I am going to post a series of photos just in case my experience can help someone else. The project is not finished, but I wanted to avoid attaching lots of photos at one time. Form the BOC Forum, I accepted that the boat would need to be hauled, and I do not have the luxury of a trailer. So off I go to the money pit of the local shipyard. I also needed bottom paint so there was additional work needed.

The 1st 2 photos are of the engine before the haul-out. If you look at the area where the steering assembly enters the transom shield, you can see the evidence of the leak from the build up of the white chrystalized salt. I would need to keep this area clean after each use and mop up about 2cups of salt water after each use.
    sigpicDave Stancil
    Bayliner #1 in slip
    1993 2859 Classic
    10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
    Bayliner #2 in garage
    2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Ok, here are the photos of the outdrive after the haul-out. Based on the advice from the Forum, I had the yard pre-order the steering seal kit for the expected external repair. As you can see from the photos, there was extensive corrosion on the housing and I was advised that the external repair was not possible due to the loss of housing material. I was at the mercy of the shipyard, which is a certified Mercruiser dealer. So, I reached deep into my maintenance budget and ordered a new transom shield assyembly, as apparently Mercurisier does not sell the housing. The outdrive looked ok, other than the normal service needs. The bellows and the water pickup is included in the new transom shield assembly ($3500). Now, to install this piece requires the engine to be pulled
    sigpicDave Stancil
    Bayliner #1 in slip
    1993 2859 Classic
    Bayliner #2 in garage

Comment

Ok, like peeling an onion, once the outdrive came off, we found oil in the bellows and the sealing area of the gimbal scored. We could have tried to remove material to flatten the scoring, but why not just spend another $1,000.
      sigpicDave Stancil
      Bayliner #1 in slip
      1993 2859 Classic
      Bayliner #2 in garage

Comment

Now, just when I thought the onion was peeled, we inspected the transom,and you will see that there were stress cracks in the complete perimeter of the cut-out. It was also scary to see how close the mounting holes were to the perimeter of the cut out . According to the yard, this is normal. Anyway, we totally inspected the rest of the transom and it was good. So, BOAT ( bet on another $1,000) to apply glass and gel coat
        sigpicDave Stancil
        Bayliner #1 in slip
        1993 2859 Classic
        Bayliner #2 in garage

Comment

Great informative thread! I have the same issue on my Trophy 2359 with Alpha Gen 2. I'm hoping to do the external repair as it just started leaking.
          2004 Trophy 2359
          5.7 liter Carb
          Alpha
          15 hp Merc Kicker

Comment

Good news though that you don't need to rebuild the transom!
            A few guys here have had to do that, and I imagine that wouldn't be cheap if you had to pay the boat yard to do it.
            Esteban
            B-ham!
            Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Hmmmmm, cracking around the keyhole like shown in your pics is usually caused from transom flex. Was the transom core ever looked at? Any core samples taken? Was part of the transom core around the keyhole repaired/replaced?
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I was also concerned over the possibly for a rotten transom, but I reviewed this with the yard and there was no evidence of any rot. Bayliner did seal the entire parameter of the cut out with gel coat except for the very top (odd) but it was dry. All of it is now sealed with gel coat. Many thanks for your input. Attached is a photo I took this morning of the new transom plate assembly. Engine goes in later today as well as the outdrive. I hope to splash Friday. Relative to transom flex, the original owner replaced the original engine With the larger 454. Possibly the increased torque caused this?
                sigpicDave Stancil
                Bayliner #1 in slip
                1993 2859 Classic
                Bayliner #2 in garage

Comment

I don’t think the transom cares if it’s bolted up to a sbc or a bbc, good you checked it out, mine looked a bit worse than that and my entire core was cooked. Glad to hear yours is solid.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Are you sure the original owner replace the 350 with a 454?
                    I was under the impression that all the boats came with 454's until like early 2000's.
                    Esteban
                    B-ham!
                    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Green, it was my assumption. Most likely went from an old school 454 to a more kick ass 454
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      Misc. projects thread

Comment

I have no documentation on the original power plant, but when I did the bottom the first time as the owner 4 years ago, I had to raise the line of the bottom paint, as the water line had moved up, assuming it was from the weight change. Just a guess.
                        sigpicDave Stancil
                        Bayliner #1 in slip
                        1993 2859 Classic
                        Bayliner #2 in garage

Comment

Great post. The early 2859 could be had with a 350, my 2859 came that way, 2nd some of the cracks could have been from filler smeared in by the OEM?
                          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Good point, but if you enlarge this photo on your screen, you can see the cracks. Many thanks again for your comments. I got the expensive repair with glass, resin, and gel coat. My hands were tied on a DYI since it was in the yard. You can see that Bayliner did not seal the wood at the top on each of the cut outs. It is sealed now.
                            sigpicDave Stancil
                            Bayliner #1 in slip
                            1993 2859 Classic
                            Bayliner #2 in garage

Comment

Yes OEM will cut corners that lead to problems, is always the $$$. Just reading the post on Sea Rays problems, part of that is the returning customer not needing a 2nd problem. From my perspective and I'm in the DYI category, will keep my old 93 and keep improving to my liking. .
                              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Working...
                              X