prop pitch-gctid828066

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prop pitch-gctid828066

I have a 1994 2655 Cierra 5.0 merc, alpha 1.

Well I hit a rock and damaged my prop which was a 16x13 pitch, 3 blade. I have a spare that I got with the boat when I purchased it last Sept. It is different. It is a 14 1/2 x 17 P, 3 blade . Pics are attached.

How do you tell if it is right or left hand turn. I have read alpha one drives are right turn . Is this correct?

Can ya tell I am a new boater!

What the difference?

What prop should I use?

Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers my fellow bayliner boaters!

Dupes.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dupes; 12-15-2017, 04:34 AM. Reason: I have added pics of my props.
    1994 2655 Bayliner, 5.0 merc, bravo 1

Wow...those are two really different props! I didn't think a 16" diameter prop would even fit on an Alpha 1, but I've been wrong before ;-)

Only time I've ever seen big-diameter, low-pitched props was for 'work-boat' applications.

Generally any single is going to use a right-handed prop. The LH props are used on the port side in twin-engine setups. Both of your props should be the same in that regard.

I didn't see your pictures, can you repost?
    RiverGuy's Fleet:

2001 Bayliner 4788
    2003 Mainship 390 (available for Charter)
    2000 Bayliner 3258 (just sold!)

Comment

i tried. for some reason they wont load. i have never had this problem before. if you pm me with email i will send them.

tks

Comment

You can tell the right-handed prop by holding out your right hand while you are looking at the boat with the prob on it, and pretend to grab one of its blades as if to do a handshake. If the blade curves nicely inside your palm to greet your handshake, it is right handed.
        Retired, computer expert / executive
        Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
        Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
        D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
        bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
        bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

At its most basic level, the term right-hand and left-hand comes from a common trick in physics (and math). If your fingers curl in the direction the prop is rotating (starting at base of your fingers and moving towards the tips), your thumb will point in the direction the boat moves. On a RH prop, this curl-point relationship is true if you use your right hand. On a LH prop, if you use your left hand.

This leads to lots of other relationships you can use to test. If you hold the prop in the palm of your hand and the thumb rests easily on a blade (i.e. tilts up), then the hand where that's true is the handedness of the prop. If you place your palm face-down on a prop blade with the thumb pointed towards the hub, the hand which tilts up (as it moves away from you) will be the handedness of the prop.

Also note that the orientation of the prop doesn't matter. Even if you turn the prop around 180 degrees (installed it on your boat backwards, or it's sitting on your hand or a table upside down), the cant of the blades is in the same direction, so these tricks still work.

As stated above, the vast majority of single props are RH. It's the "standard" rotation, with LH typically only being used when you have multiple engines.
          1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

"You can tell the right-handed prop by holding out your right hand while you are looking at the boat with the prob on it, and pretend to grab one of its blades as if to do a handshake. If the blade curves nicely inside your palm to greet your handshake, it is right handed. "

What a cool trick....thanks for the tip !
            2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
            Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

Comment

What prop size do your recommend? I had a 16x13 pitch. Spare on the boat is a 14 1/2 x 17 pitch. 5.0 merc, , alpha 1 drive.

1994 2655 Bayliner cierra.

Is this prop ok to use? Advantages/disadvantages...

Any comments will help.

Thanks in advance.

Dupes

Comment

The easiest way to tell which direction your prop rotates is to face the prop on the boat, turn one of the fins to straight up, and whichever side the leading edge is on is the direction it will rotate.
                "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                MMSI: 367637220
                HAM: KE7TTR
                TDI tech diver
                BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                Kevin

Comment

Comment

• Dupes
                    Dupes commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Here is my old and new prop. Any thoughts?

I recommend talking to a prop shop. Give them you WOT rpm that you had with your existing prop. I think you will also need to know the gear ratio installed in your outdrive. Compare that to the specs for your engine. Make sure what ever you do will allow your engine to achieve it speced WOT rpm. The prop shop should be able to easily help you with this.
                  2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                  12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                  MV Kia Orana
                  Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                  X