Replacing seat skins...how difficult as an DIY?-gctid823610

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing seat skins...how difficult as an DIY?-gctid823610

Looking to save some money on my two back-to-back seats with skins I saw on line. Is this something I could do myself?
    2003 Bayliner 175 BR, Lake Shirley, MA

Easy. Use SS staples and follow the lead of the original installation. A pneumatic stapler is better than a hand stapler. If you don't have access to one, I'd pass. Get the staples long enough to get into the wood knowing the wood is not new.

Stretch, snap. Stretch, snap. I've done a few.
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

Comment

Kim at Canvas Plus can provide you covers made to the original patterns. She can also provide instructions on how to install them:

CANVAS PLUS

22510 128TH DR NE

ARLINGTON, WA 98223-6917

(360) 435-0932
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA
      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

It's a lot of work but not complicated. My wife used the original seat fabric as a pattern. My foam was ok; you might consider replacing it, too, if it's worn or wet. Stainless Steel staples, lots of them.
        1998 Capri 1950CL
        3 Liter MerCruiser
        Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
        2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

If you're not interested in keeping a ornamental seam bead, etc., you could simply cover what's already there in white (or whatever color you choose) marine vinyl. Just cut the pieces to the right shape, and staple away. (I'm assuming the seats and backs are wood backing, foam over the wood, then vinyl over the foam).

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X