Raising The Radar Dome-gctid809468

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising The Radar Dome-gctid809468

My radar dome was sitting right on the radar arch. The arch was about a foot below the top of the canvas top. I wanted to get it up around two feet above the arch. So I designed a stand to do this. Materials from Lowes cost less then $40.00. It seams to work very well and it achieves what I wanted to do. It is very close to the anchor light, I may need to move it over just a little.

Attached files

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
    1985 3870
    Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
    Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
    Live on board full time.
    North Myrtle Beach, SC

Nice.You Will have to move anchor light a bit.When i install my radar it was up against anchor light like yours.Marine police gave me a lecture over that.No ticket.Got to raise it up higher they said.Just another weekend project

Comment

I can move the radar dome a little to the left easier than moving the anchor light.
      1985 3870
      Live on board full time.
      North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Gotta love some of the ingenuity you see on BOC over the years.
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

360 mafia you are right. Moving the radar dome over and away from the anchor light won't solve my problem. I need to lower the radar dome or raise the anchor light. I don't want to lower the radar dome, I just got it up where it is. So I think I will raise the anchor light about 4 or 5 inches. I hope this will take care or the problem.
          1985 3870
          Live on board full time.
          North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Marine police gave me a lecture over that
            Why? What am I missing?
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]
            Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Good morning Jim, from sunny and warm N. Myrtle Beach SC. If you look at the photo you will see that the anchor light is right beside the radar dome. There for it can not be seen 360 degrees. The navigation rules state that when at anchor, which I like to do a lot, at night this light must be seen from any direction. Well since I raised the radar dome you would not be able to see it from any direction. So I raised the anchor light about 7 or 8 inches. By doing this I solved the problem of not being able to see the anchor light from any direction. I hope this clears this up.
              1985 3870
              Live on board full time.
              North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Old man,

Of course the light visibility, for some reason I was focused on the radar being raised and wondering why they disliked that. Raise the light, easy fix that you obviously did.

Regarding NC. I visited Kitty Hawk during the Centenial of Flight celebration but that was in December and it was cold and windy. I'd love to see that area in the summer, I bet it's beautiful!
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]
                Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Working...
                X