Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2655 wide new glass and hardtop-gctid397485

Hi,

We are in the process of fitting curved glass and sliders followed by a hard top to our 1989 byliner.

Most of the structural work has now been done it now being sanded and refilled etc, before the paint. The windows have been trial fitted and will be fitted after paint. Then its onto the hard top.

Marc

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/701167=29429-before.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/701167=29430-new windows arrive.JPG[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/701167=29431-rh box.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/701167=29433-setting the front screen.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/701167=29432-trial fit of sliders.jpg[/img]

Looks good so far....one can't have too many clamps. Hope your thinking about access to the bow for anchor handling.

Post more pics as you progress with the project.

Bravo Zulu

Vic

Ft Myers
    Vic Stewart SN
    Past Commander
    Cape Fear Power Squadron
    Ft Myers Power Squadron
    1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
    Raw water cooled

Comment

Very cool.

I thought about a similar project for my 1952 many times. Everyone in the PNW has canvas roofs and vinyl windows, seems so temporary for something that stays on year round.

Where are you located and what did that window run?

Comment

:worth

All I can say is Holy torn nylons Batman....looks great so far. Best of luck from here to the end or should I say the top.

Comment

Looking forward to watching the progress and finding out cost involved. Always wondered how it would look on my own 2455 to do the same. One of the two biggest issues we have of the boat in the canvas upkeep.

Comment

woodwork now completed and glass cloth applied, Epoxy primer is being wet sanded back. Hope to get some more pictures this weekend.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702873=29594-wood completed right side.jpg[/img]

Comment

Today we refitted the windows and have made a template of the top window curve to enable the hard top to be started. Back to sanding tomorrow and hoping to start top coat painting on Thursday, if the forcast goes to plan. During wet sanding has found a few small areas of poor bond between cloth and wood so cutting out and rebonding. Sadly this adds many more days to the work but trying to do it right first time.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703358=29644-window fit saturday.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703358=29643-window fit.JPG[/img]

Comment

Hi All,

Its the middle of winter here in Auckland (New Zealand) so progress is at times slow, also work gets in the way. Spent the last 2 days sanding top deck with the intention to be ready to paint when a weather window allows. I do however have the top coat white on the area that the windows sit. So the plan is to fit the windows for the last time this friday. Once the windows are in place I will:go-:go-:go- start rebuilding the instrument panel and fit the new switches.

Hard top- I have decided to get this made by a local manufacture. It should be ready for collection in 3 weeks.

Regards

Marc

Comment

We now have the hard top fitted

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/712783=30648-hard top trail fit.jpg[/img]

Comment

Top notch, Mark- looks great!

Comment

Looks great, how about a few more pics when you get a chance.
                      John Rupp
                      1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
                      5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
                      Starshine
                      Hino 135

Comment

That looks awesome.

If only Bayliner would make an optional top for their boats like that.

Not much choice for midsize hardtops.

Comment

Looks great. How much was the final cost?
                          David
                          1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words, I hope to have the boat completed in about 5 to 6 weeks and will then post more pictures and details.

Cost obviously varies from country to country; I live in Auckland New Zealand and see a terrific markup on the basic USA cost for boat bits. So a figure in NZ$ is probably not very helpful or constructive outside of NZ. However for me the cost of the glass screen and sliders + hardtop + structural changes equates to less than 2-1/4 sets of canvass and clears, so in terms of years about 6 years max for the project to pay for itself.

With all the benefits of the hard top, in real terms of added comfort and use payback will be much sooner. We use the boat all year round and stay out even during winter if the weather allows. (Bigger fish during winterjust got to find them)

Regards

Marc

Comment

Hello, I'm so suprised of this amazing work.

My father in law did a hard roof and window but the result was something not rounded, with edges and not nice at all (it was a smaller boat and not a Bayliner as well !).

Do you have maybe more pics (for example side pics) for my own inspiration ? I will have to show this work to my wife, maybe she will accept to do it one of these next years...

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X