Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transducer replacement and a new mount.-gctid397463

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Transducer replacement and a new mount.-gctid397463

    This spring I needed to replace my Navman transom (Speed/Depth/Temp) transducer and decided I wanted to eliminate the holes and screws in the transom. I knew I wanted to mount the transducer with an intermediate layer and did some research to find a solution.

    It was at this time I spoke to Sternmate and others. I did not go with the Sternmate since they did not address getting the cable up from the transducer to above water line hull entry.

    My solution used PVC Lumber and Flex Set Epoxy.

    After removing all the old hardware I cleaned off a vertical stripe of bottom paint giving myself a bit of room to left and right of where I expected to be working.



    I filled all the old holes with epoxy. I applied the epoxy several times pushing it in until the holes were filled solid. I sanded smooth. I then finished over the original holes with Marine Tex. Once cured I sanded the Marine Tex smooth.

    I resealed the interior surfaces of the above water cable opening through the hull with epoxy.

    I sanded the fiberglass with 80 grit to give the surface some tooth.

    I then used a piece of PVC lumber/trim 1"x6"x8' to make a new transducer mount. (Bought at Lowes) This is NOT the same as Starboard. Starboard does not adhere reliably using adhesives.

    I cut and shaped the PVC lumber to suit my need. I cut a groove up the board to give me a path for my transducer cable. The transducer area is slightly oversize if a future need occurs. The boat side of the PVC was also sanded with 80 grit paper to clean it and give it tooth.

    The PVC mount was positioned and line up marks made with a Sharpie so I knew where it was going to be glued.

    Based on advice from the makers of Marine Tex technical support group I used the Marine Tex "Flex Set Epoxy" product to adhere the PVC lumber to the boats fiberglass. For the size of my mount it required I buy two packages and I needed one and a half to put enough adhesive on the board to cover the entire surface with a solid layer.

    With help I positioned the PVC lumber in place and a friend stacked concrete blocks and used wedges to firmly hold the lumber in place. Once clearly in place and aligned with my marks I left it in place for a week to cure.

    Once cured I mounted my transducer and secured the cable to the PVC lumber with screws knowing none of the screws penetrated my fiberglass.



    I then filled the above the water line opening with 3M 4200 and reinstalled the clamshell cover.

    I painted the PVC lumber with bottom paint.

    The PVC mount seems rock solid and so far knock wood all is well.


    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410
Working...
X