2859 Home made rocket launcher/rod holder-gctid805237

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2859 Home made rocket launcher/rod holder-gctid805237

Here's a few pics of my home made rod holder attached to the underside of the hardtop. I've been pricing around and figured I could build one myself for much cheaper. I'm able to get 6 rod holders, I tried to put some in the middle and found out the hard way I couldn't open the door on the Alaskan bulkhead....Whoops!

Attached files

Marc
    2001 2859, 350 Merc MPI, "Bravo Zulu" South Haven, MI

Marc, Your whole setup looks nice. Good job. JC
    Looking for my next boat. Down sizing!
    SE KY & Key Largo
    1998 Sea Ray 450 DA (Sold)
    2005 Glacier Bay 2685 (Sold)

Comment

Thanks JC!

I'm real happy with how the rod holder came together, very sturdy and clean! Now time to drop her in the water and start the season
      Marc

Comment

Very nice boat.Rod holders look like stuff of pros.Love the 20 hp trolling motor.

Good luck fishing.

Comment

Very nice project.
          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

That looks fantastic. Is everything welded together and can you post some close ups of the actual holders? I have thought about doing something very similar to my boat but mounted on the top of the hardtop.

Comment

Would you be able to put canvas on with those installed?
              97 2859

Comment

Apurpura: Everything is bolt on. I went to the marine supply store and purchased aluminum 7/8" tube, 2-rail ends that angle in, and 1-center rail support. 3 supports in total which I drilled through the hard top and mounted from below with stainless hardware and sealant. The allen head set screws prevent the tube from turning on you. I like the bottom mount, seems easy to grab and you still have plenty of clearance overhead.

Then, I removed my existing Perko rod holders and clamped them to the horizontal tube. The rod holders were previously mounted to the vertical grab rails as you step into the back deck. I plan to replace the rod holders I mounted on top with 4 additional on the vertical rails 2 on each side.

I'll take closer pics in the next few days and upload.
                Marc

Comment

If the canvas snaps in from the top, I think it would work. That's the next project we're looking at. The rod holders only stick up above the hardtop surface an inch or so. I'm thinking the canvas shop would just fit a pocket that snaps into the top and allows for an extra few inches to fit over the holders. I'm not looking for anything water tight, just to escape from the Sun when it's beating down some days.
                  Marc

Comment

Really nice boat and setup! Mine is 2452, and my friend made me a bar to the roof, I just added holders with hydraulic stauffs.

Attached files

Bayliner 2452 Classic / BMW M57
                    https://www.facebook.com/ruodollarokotettu/?fref=ts

Comment

Very impressive. Nice

Comment

Fokemon Great Setup!

In fact, I think your installation on top of the hardtop is a better install. I'm probably going to remove mine from below the hardtop and mount on top like yours. I've noticed with all 6 rods and a net there's stress/tension on the 3 small set screws on each mount. I'm thinking with your design each rod holder rests against the back edge of the hardtop and disperses the load. Also your rod holders are a little more upright, my mount from below each rod holder seems to sit at about a 45 degree.
                        Marc

Comment

Working...
                        X