Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced Vinyl Under Bridge Overhang-gctid798857

Hi All:

Here's a minor project I just completed that has had an unexpectedly large visual effect.

The vinyl under the lip that hangs over the cockpit door from the flying bridge was old, cracked, and stained with years of previous owners slapping Cetol on the teak without first masking it. It annoyed me to no end for years.

Yesterday I put on new vinyl and it was surprisingly easy. Took an afternoon.

I cut 25" wide by 125" long rectangle of white marine vinyl (about $40 from a fabric store).

I removed the aluminum gutters (also took the opportunity to aggressively polish these with a wire brush on a drill . . . they came out much nicer looking).

Take a plastic putty knife and use it to slip the edge of the vinyl under the teak trim where the back of the cabin meets the lip.

Spray 3M high strength adhesive spray on the old vinyl and the new vinyl and let dry until tacky.

Smooth the new vinyl onto the old vinyl working from the cabin aft, and from the starboard side to the port (you could go port to starboard I guess).

Trim excess material as you go, but leave enough hanging over so that you can wrap the new vinyl over the edge of the lip and still have about 1".

Put back on the aluminum gutters.

Trim the excess with a razor cutter.

Looks much nicer. Wish I done this years ago!

Dave

Attached files

Dave Stephens
    1988 3218 "Raven"
    Cordova, Alaska

I like quick and sorta easy. Nice looking job.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Looks good!

I notice you are in Cape Coral.

Im looking at waterfront houses out there with docks. Any areas or things to avoid?
      Esteban
      B-ham!
      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

waterfront house with docks ...boater's dream, nothing like it & deep deep pockets
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=798881 wrote:
          waterfront house with docks ...boater's dream, nothing like it & deep deep pockets
          Nah, Florida is cheap. And the weather is great!
          Esteban
          B-ham!
          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

took a quick glace... 1000SF condos starting from around 150~160 K, more like a Canal front, but still nice.
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Cape Coral is growing quickly, so prices are still reasonable but rising fast.

The lots with no bridges between them and the Gulf are limited. Be sure if you're looking at a canal house you know about bridges and their clearance.

The best lots are on "lakes," which are the large square or rectangular areas where the canals meet.

My boat is on a lift in the Northwest part of Cape Coral. One thing to remember is that the canals are no wake zones and there are miles and miles of them (do a google maps search on the Cape Coral/Punta Gorda area). It takes over an hour to idle through the canals until you get to Matlache Pass, and then it's a shallow, twisty, channel north through the pass before you get to the open cruising grounds of Charlotte Harbour. During the cruising season I keep the boat at Burnt Store Marina so I don't have to go through the hassle of the canals.

Also, the canals are pretty shallow. My 3870 has had less than a foot under the keel on the fathometer and sand in the wake many times while motoring through them.

And to just put one more element of discouragement on the canal sundae: Even though there's only about 2 feet of tidal movement in this area, because the Matlache entrance is the only entrance for miles and miles of canals, the tidal current at the mouth of the entrance to the canals can be quite tricky given how tight the maneuvering quarters are. I've had my timing wrong before and come in when the tide was still flooding and been doing six knots with one engine in neutral and the other at idle. There are a few "dog leg" turns in that area, so you have to give her enough throttle to have positive rudder control, which has the universal effect of causing your wife to scream "slow down!" at you . . . And given the white knuckle element of that particular move, you don't have time to calmly explain the details of how rudder steerage works. Makes for great "bonding" moments. . . (;

But all this aside, the cruising here is awesome (aside from the thunderstorms). Great beaches, great beach bars, national parks with awesome shelling, and powder blue water in the Gulf. Captiva and Sanibel island are awesome, and Useppa island is really the best part of the Sound.

A few years ago you could buy a canal lot in NW Cape Coral for very little $. The deals are still good, but going fast. I counted 14 homes under construction between my Dad's house and the grocery store (3 miles away) just the other day.

Dave
              Dave Stephens
              1988 3218 "Raven"
              Cordova, Alaska

Comment

I've been looking at my overhang vinyl for quite a while.

Never thought of leaving the old one in place.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks very good.
                CapMartin, Montr├®al
                "Belle de Dalhousie"
                1986 3270
                Volvo BB225B

Comment

Great job, I picked up my vinyl this AM.

Thanks for the tips.
                  1988 3870
                  Hino 4 cyl 210 turbos (upgrade)
                  Hull extension
                  LIves in Powell River

Comment

Working...
                  X