1990 2655 Helm Seat Rebuild-gctid793322

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 2655 Helm Seat Rebuild-gctid793322

I'm no upholsterer but I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. All the cushion wood was pretty much rotten to disintegrating as I tried to dissect the seats and save patterns for the wood. I ended up using the 26 year old cushions as templates. They weren't quite the same shape and dimensions as new. Pulled every staple for the entire seat by hand and studied how everything was stapled but with the new pliable skins it went back together differently but take plenty of pictures anyway. Used Batting under the cushions to help compensate the compression over the years and the slightly oversized skins. Electric or battery stapler will have your arms less sore and allow you to go longer between breaks. I now have one for the "U" lounge seat once I get up the nerve to start it. It's in WAY worse shape. I used spar varnish on the regular 1/2" ply from LOWES, 2 coats since I'd already bought it and had leftovers. Some paint these. If you think you've got an idea of how many staples you need....get TWICE that number! Trust me. Just start stretching the skins evenly over the wood (after adding batting prior to installing the foam). I put one staple in each flat side and then started test stretching the remaining skin. Once it looked even and as wrinkle as I could get it, I stapled more. If you have a bad looking area just pull the staples out, re-stretch and or add batting as needed and re staple. As for the slits you attach the cushions to the shell. DO NOT use the ones in the old skins as reference. I did and you can see them on the second down cushion from the top of the back.. If I had it to do over I'd have put them in on the sides instead of the long ends. The seat shell will hide them. Working under a heat lamp helps with stretching the skin in awkward angles. The pedestal was so pitted and worn I replaced it with a new one with height adjustment and air ride. Next project is the lounge table which I'm totally remaking to since the wood's rotted. Will post it next and after that will be the entire Radar arch refurb/ upgrade. Yeah it was that bad too....
    Dave
    N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
    1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
    Past:
    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
    West of Hickory NC

Geez!! If you're just ONE digit over the size it'll kick them out! Have learned MUCH about photo editing I never needed to know in all my days of posting pictures LOL
    Dave
    Past:
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    West of Hickory NC

Comment

Before

Dave
      Past:
      Mariner 150
      Towing with:
      West of Hickory NC

Comment

rebuild

Dave
        Past:
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:
        West of Hickory NC

Comment

Looks good enough to me for a first time! Good job man!
          Pat. Sandpoint Ida
          I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

what was the measurements of your pedestal? I have the same boat and need to order a new one for mine but the boat is in storage at the my marina right now.

Thanks

Comment

Jeremy, it is a 9"dia base with the 6 bolt hole pattern made by Springfield. Found it on eBay from a company called Motorheadzone

Springfield 1250150-L Slide & Swivel Mainstay Adj 2 3/8In Seat Pedestal 14-20In

( 201796755285 )
              Dave
              Past:
              Mariner 150
              Towing with:
              West of Hickory NC

Comment

I'm no expert, but took a class on upholstery many years ago. That looks Great. Pat yourself on the back.

Comment

Reposting the pictures lost in the format changeover. Throttle side panel's in progress and will be my next upholstery post.
                  Dave
                  Past:
                  Mariner 150
                  Towing with:
                  West of Hickory NC

Comment

Working...