Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The boat I bought to learn on. My journey of projects on my 1991 2556-gctid792397

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The boat I bought to learn on. My journey of projects on my 1991 2556-gctid792397

Hello all, I purchased my 1991 2556 last June (2016) and have not had one successful start to finish trip (over 3 hours)... So I promised my wife, by the start of summer 2017 the boat will be in a state where we can enjoy a weekend (or two) without any major mechanical/electrical issues arising. Wish me luck!

This forum has been a big part of my quickly needed learning and I would like to give back with sharing the upgrade / fixed projects I have taken on and will update as i go along....

Enjoy!
    BOAT: 1991 - Bayliner 2556 Ciera Flybridge
    ENGINE: 357 Alpha 4V (275HP)
    OUTDRIVE: Alpha Gen 1
    RATIO: (to be updated)
    PROP: 15 1/2" X 15P
    NAME: "Knotty Oar"

Marine Search and Rescue Crew - http://rcmsar.com/rescue-stations/southern-region/north-vancouver/

First major task, engine replacement. Engine had water intrusion.

Attached files

Marine Search and Rescue Crew - http://rcmsar.com/rescue-stations/southern-region/north-vancouver/

Comment

Nice, that is a good goal! We loved our first season last summer with our new to us 2556, especially after getting all the major issues sorted with leaks in the transom seal, square steering shaft and holes in the gas tank!

Good luck getting your 2556 in tip top shape!

Comment

New gas loaded springs for engine compartment lid.

Sanded down old brackets and painted with a high end black rust paint. I had difficulties trying to source new brackets, so decided to re-use the old ones.

Each gas loaded spring was for 51lbs. each (total 102lbs.)

Spring Spec -

Manufacturer Strong Arm

Name Strong Arm 4247 Gas Charged Universal Lift Support

Body End Description Ball Socket U Band (Nylon)=10mm=3/8"=.39"

Shaft End Description Ball Socket U Band (Nylon)=10mm=3/8"=.39"

SKU 10491W

Extended Length A [in] 19.70

Compressed Length B [in] 11.75

Stroke C [in] 7.95

Rod Diameter 0.31

Extended Length [mm] 500.00

Compressed Length B [mm] 298.00

Stroke [mm] 202.00

Rod Diameter [mm] 8

Sold As each

Quantity Per Application 2

Thread Size M6X1.00

Cylinder Diameter 0.75

Cylinder Diameter [mm] 19

Body Connector Part Number PC1249-2

Vehicle Location Universal

ext.ser.num 227N

Force (lbs) 51.00

Comment

Keep up the on the projects, good luck for the summer.
          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

New Battery Charger.

Replacing the stock charger that was stuck showing a 3AMP reading with and without power.

New charger - Pronautic 1260P w/ Remote.

I cut & epoxied a piece of marine plywood for a backing plate to the charger.

New power/negative wires from the charger.

Following the install instruction it turned on with no problems... Till the charger fan kicked in and realized I need to upgrade the AC breaker from 5AMP to 15AMP.

Comment

"Journey of projects" I know how that happens :silly: Nice upgrades youve done keep at it B)
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

New engine compartment heater - Caframo Pali Engine Compartment Heater, Small, Silver/Black

Item Weight 2.7 Kg

Product Dimensions 27.9 x 22.9 x 17.8 cm

Item model number 9510CABBX

Color Silver/Black

Size Small

Display Size 1 inches

Weight 2.8 kilograms

Number of Pieces 1

Batteries Included? No

Brand Name Caframo Pali

I am soooooo happy I listened to my gut for buying this heater... This winter has seen many below 0C days on the coast of the the NW Pacific ocean...

I was on the fence with buying this heater vs. some of the more expensive once available. 100% happy with it!

Comment

Engine Compartment Storage -

I took a few measurements, screwed down some eye hooks (sealed with Sikaflex), added some bungee cords.

Attached files

Comment

Stereo / DVD / Monitor - DC Power

Installed 6X9 speakers. I removed factory speakers, but larger holes and they fit well. Ran all new speaker wire.

Found a great deal on CL for these Alpine speakers, they were much larger than the factory speakers and the port side was a VERY tight fit.

(Before)

(Cutting the hole)

(New speaker )

I searched for months looking for "no screen" dvd stereos and ended up going with a BOSS Audio deck from Amazon, good price point and features.

The dvd deck only had a composite video output and the extra Samsung computer monitor i had kicking around used a HDMI input...So I purchased a convertor

I epoxied a DC step down to the top of the convertor as it runs off 5V) (Bought off Amazon)

On the left is a DC step up that will run the Samsung monitor that runs off 14V (I Hope!!!)...I will update once I test it, fingers crossed! (I am no expert on electrical stuff and am 100% learning as I go)

Attached files

Comment

Stereo / DVD / Monitor - DC Powered

Installed 6X9 speakers. I removed factory speakers, but larger holes and they fit well. Ran all new speaker wire.

Found a great deal on CL for these Alpine speakers, they were much larger than the factory speakers and the port side was a VERY tight fit.

(Before)

(Cutting the hole)

(New speaker )

I searched for months looking for "no screen" dvd stereos and ended up going with a BOSS Audio deck from Amazon, good price point and features.

The dvd deck only had a composite video output and the extra Samsung computer monitor i had kicking around used a HDMI input...So I purchased a convertor

I epoxied a DC step down to the top of the convertor as it runs off 5V) (Bought off Amazon)

On the left is a DC step up that will run the Samsung monitor that runs off 14V (I Hope!!!)...I will update once I test it, fingers crossed! (I am no expert on electrical stuff and am 100% learning as I go)

Comment

New Batteries / DC Power Cable from Switch to Upper/Lower Helm, ETC

New Wire $$$$

Wire Prep

Routing the wire

(I picked this spot to split up the upper / lower power supply)

New 12V 1000CA Starting Battery & 2 new 6V batteries

Circuit protection on the battery

Lower Helm Wiring

(before)

(after/ongoing)

It's been a long learning process here! But if feels good to now have the knowledge and understanding of my boats electrical system.... It really, really makes adding new electrical equipment a breeze! B)

Comment

New LED Lights

I found some "outdoor" LED strips from a local electronics shop for a really good price... So i decided to have a little fun with Red / Blue & White lights

Inside Red Lights - 4 LED Strips

Inside White Lights - 2 LED Strips (2 are on back order)

Blue Outdoor Light - 2 LED Strips per side

White Engine Compartment Lights - 1 LED Strip per side

(I ran these LEDs off my constant power supply shared with the bilge, it's nice to have some light when I first arrive to my boat on early mornings)

Comment

Cool mods! I like the blue led under the gunwale in the cockpit. Been re configuring things (batteries mostly/adjusting for ballast) in my engine bay and thinking the same thing with the storage bins.
                            Dave
                            Edmonds, WA
                            "THE FIX"
                            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                            Misc. projects thread
                            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks Dave! It's been a long time coming getting a comfortable hold on this boat. In all honesty, my wife has been so supportive of this venture! We celebrated our 5 year anniversary lastnight and for the amount of hours spent at the marina over the past few month (including this morning) she still loves me! Lol

I do have one question for you though, please..... I noticed the path of the lower helm control & shift cable / steering cable / ect. appear to run under the cabinet beneath the sink in the head, then through (what is assumed to be named a firewall?) Has some sort of spray foam or sealant sealing the through-hole..... ? I'm very much wanting my wife to run the helm station while I navigate and right now the lower helm control cable is much to stiff for her to learn...... my one thought is to tape/ secure end to end the old cable and new and with a little force pull it thought....one major concern is access points, the cabinet in the head appears to have a very sealed floor and overall appears to not be and easy task? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X