38xx galley locker revision and addition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38xx galley locker revision and addition

One of the first comments from the Admiral about the galley was how the locker under the stove was useless. When she announces that, action by the crew (me) is required. After much research and advice from the crew here, I have completed the revision.

Fabricating and installing the drawer was fairly straightforward except that the cabinet angles were, angles and not 90's making the fitting a challenge. However, as I was doing my cutting and chopping and had made my end of the cabinet cut, I learned that the shelf under the stove was attached on the top requiring the stove to be removed to get at the screws. I used that shelf, with new attachment to support a plywood separator above and below. Then I added two 4.5 inch wide shelves above the original.

I added one quarter inch thick teak edges to the fixed opening and half inch edging to the door to create an overlap. Once everything was put together and sanded I finished it with Watco Danish Oil Finish.

Attached files
    Last edited by ksanders; 12-12-2017, 04:09 AM.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

That craftsmanship is phenomenal! I envy your skill...
    Drew Haas
    1988 3818 "Painkiller"

Comment

Looks great! I am doing a change out to a propane range on a 3888 myself and wished I had photos to show the customer. Thanks for posting.

Greg
      Newport, Oregon
      South Beach Marina
      1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
      Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
      Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Nice work as usual, adding the 1/2" edging was a great idea.
        1989 3888
        Hino 210's

Comment

Nice work! Another project that is now made easier for other 38 owners, thanks for posting it.

James
          1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
          Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
          Lowrance Electronics!
          MMSI
          VHF CFA2587
          Boating on Georgian Bay

Comment

Are the images for Pcpete remodel available anywhere?

Comment

Jc, pm me your email. I converted the locker under the stove to a drawer and made a cupboard out of the cabinet between the stove and passageway.
              P/C Pete
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

PCpete, Thanks for reposting the pics. Images had disappeared after the website update. Your mod. Is exactly what I want to do. Can’t wait to get my sawzall and get to work. Like MacPhid, I’d also like to thank you for posting it.

Comment

I didn’t let my sawzall even close to the boat. I have a fein brand oscillating tool that is like crack, I use it everywhere. I laid the door cutout out on masking tape then very carefully made my cut with the half round blade. The advantage is that the blade has very little flex and is easy to tease in a plunge start. Plan to remove the stove because there are some screws that you need to get at. I smoothed out the edges of the cutout then used quarter inch thick strips to trim the hole out. I added a half inch strip of teak all the way around the door waste to create the door and have it overlay the cutout. For the shelves and support structure I revised I bought some thin aluminum angle at Home Depot then cut and drilled to fit. It’s the same way Bayliner assembles the cabinets and makes modifications, like changing the factory electric heaters to King Pic-a-watt while retaining the original can and grill.
                  The drawer is fairly easy but took a lot more fitting to get it all right and working. Saving the toe kick and door make it look like it was built that way.
                  As you get close getting started, we should talk on the phone. There are some things that look correct visually, but are not when measured.
                  P/C Pete
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  MMSI 367770440

Comment

P/C Pete,
                    your mods look great! I’m thinking of something like your drawer mod for the area under our oven as well. Might tackle it this coming spring. Thanks for the motivation!
                    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                    MV Kia Orana
                    Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                    X