305 Engine hatch hinges and gas springs - A case of relocation.-gctid692298

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

305 Engine hatch hinges and gas springs - A case of relocation.-gctid692298

The hinges on the engine hatch of the 305 are wimpy. I have replaced all three at least once and they are again bent the end of this season. You can tell they are bent when the hatch rubs the forward edge of the deck recess it lays in when you try to lift the hatch. I was looking at again replacing the hinges. But aside from the hinges being wimpy for the task. I was trying to determine why do they bend both sides away from the pivot pin? Sitting looking at the hatch open and closed the answer became obvious. The way Bayliner installed the gas lift springs keeps the hinges under constant strain as the springs push the hatch forward when closed. Slowly the springs bend under that strain allowing the hatch to move forward.

So I removed the gas springs and relocated them. Now the springs push the hatch aft when it is closed. This will act to keep the hinges from deforming as it removes the strain on the hinges. In fact changing the gas spring orientation improved operation to the point that is is no longer necessary to replace the hinges. The hatch no longer rubs when opening.

I am going to evaluate the hinges next summer and see if they straighten or degradation occurs.

Here are pictures of the relocated gas springs. I am sorry the pictures are at night. I was working to wrap up before the boat went into storage.

To give you an idea of the mounting points.

> On the hatch I laid by drill on the supporting frame and pushed as tight to the deck as possible to get the pivot point thru bolt close to the deck.

I found if the hatch pivot was low the force required to open the hatch was too great.

> The pivot on the deck is 27.5" forward from the hinge line.

If you decide to make this change. Be sure this dimension works for your gas springs don't assume Bayliner was consistent in the length used.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

I have the same problem on the engine hatches in the 3688, so I will look at relocating these - many thanks

Graham

Comment

Thanks SO MUCH for this Jim. I thought my hatch was deformed because it was rubbing in the front and getting tighter and tighter. Now I know where to look and thanks to your work I know what to fix!

Comment

Thanks. Another job to add to my list!
        2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera
        "Summerized"
        MMSI 503024850
        Volvo Penta D3-220's DPS DuoProps (2018)
        RQYS Manly QLD

Comment

Working...
        X