Stuck Waste Deck Cap-gctid689167

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Waste Deck Cap-gctid689167

One of the the Waste deck caps on my boat had been stuck since I bought it a year ago. Tried everything, including the heavy duty wrench you can get from West Marine. The cap bent the lugs and stripped the side of the holes. Finally, I drilled it out with a 1/4" bit (first pic), pried it off with two grade 8 bolts and a long screw driver (second pic), and bought a new cap. Some people told me they simply replaced the whole fitting, but I think this was a bit easier.

I had one stuck last year that required destroying the damned thing to get it free. Glad you were able to get it loose. They can get bad fast.
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

guessing that PO never pumped out :huh:

Good trick , nicely done!
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

I have the same problem and even tried the same West Marine wrench. I'll now try this approach. Replacing the cap is no issue but I'm concerned that the threads on the deck plate will be(come) damaged and I'll have to replace it. I don't even want to think about having to replace the attached waste hose. I think they built the boat around the deck plate.

Comment

You might try hitting it with PB Blaster. Jim
          Jim
          1975 2865 Carver Santa Cruz
          Twin 215hp 302 Ford Waukesha
          Twin Straight Shaft Drive
          Tow Vehicle 2002 Ford F250 Superduty
          7.3L Powerstroke
          Boise, Id

Comment

Good job Choir!
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]

Comment

I had two gas caps lock just like that because the O-rings weren't replaced when the old ones wore out. Once the caps broke loose they were easy to spin out by hand.

All the threads were good. I wonder if the vibration from the boat itself does lock the caps down. I would think with good O-rings it makes a seal instead of the threads locking the cap down. No problems now.
              Dan
              Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
              Claudia V. III
              1988 - 3218
              Gas Drives

Comment

That may be a fitting that should have a tad bit off grease applied annually (or more often). If the o ring is affected by an oil based product, a water soluble product could be used. PB and a heat gun may help free them up, but I'd only use the heat gun on the pump- out fitting, not the fuel filler cap.
                Bob Hawes.
                Kelowna, B.C.
                1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

If they are chrome plated brass, replace then with Stainless steel, a dab of anti seize works wonders.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Silicone spray works too.

Comment

You should have someone braze those holes shut on the inside now. Then you don't have to worry about the venting you're gonna get with two holes drilled in your cap.

iBoatNW

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=696559 wrote:
                        You should have someone braze those holes shut on the inside now. Then you don't have to worry about the venting you're gonna get with two holes drilled in your cap.
                        Or, go ahead and splurge, buy a new cap. You only live once... B)
                        Jeff & Tara
                        (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                        "GetAway"
                        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

"Jeffw" post=696595 wrote:
                          Or, go ahead and splurge, buy a new cap. You only live once... B)
                          Mine are an odd British threaded pipe. I only wish I could replace just the caps. I've gotten in the habit of opening all caps when I pump out now. I have both port and starboard access ports (fuel, potable water & black water) and had never even tried to open that one for the first couple of years of owning the boat.

iBoatNW

Comment

I had tried a ton of PB and WD-40 to no avail. I just replaced the cap because the holes had been worn by using the big wrench on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X