2859 owners - Hull -- pods extentions-gctid688221

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2859 owners - Hull -- pods extentions-gctid688221

It is time to post this project, it started 5 years back when I became aware how the back of my 2859, 1993 vintage was tail heavy. At the time I was considering adding a Kicker motor for trolling, adding more weight to the aft end and making things a hole digger. So after lots of reading discussing and cursing a plan was formed and put in to motion. The start was to slide the boat part way of the trailer an splash 2 molds one port, the other starboard and to over size them, So after the boat was clear of the trailer, I was on my back removing bottom paint down to 600 grid surface and than green wax 3 coats with 2 coats of PVA for insurance. At the transom instead of removing all hardware, I taped all that of, then came a 4 pass layer of black Gel coat, once that set up came a layer off 1.5 OZ mat, 24 OZ W/R and 2 of 1.5 mat. So after setting up the where pulled of the holes created by the hardware, the next step was a couple of month- winter to start. So I will post picture of the forms and the completed to now project. B)

Attached files

Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

awesome!!! I'd bet you use much less tab now too...
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

This is a nice project B) More info please
      Pat. Sandpoint Ida
      I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

Thank you for the kind comments, The next task was to strip all the hardware of the transom and to lay out a line for the to edge and new swim step location, is measure and measure probably a dozens times. Tried to set molds in place to attach pod sections, no go could not find a way to keep thing lined up, so pulled thin parts out of the molds and trimmed them to fit, but first time to grind the areas for attaching the pods, for you newbie's its fun!!! With some help 12 ft. long angel sections where attached to the hull with straps blocks and any thing we thought would work, measure again many times, since if I was out of plum theirs a big problem, as you all know theirs nothing on a boat that is straight, ( I have no hair left pulled it all out. )

Now it time to fit the first pod, coming next post. hmy:

Comment

Now on with the project and some more grinding fitting so on,

First pod fitted on and tabbed into place

Double checking prior to full attachment

So now I have both sides are in to place and a bit more grinding is necessary O the fun.

Attached files

Comment

ON with a bit of more line up, post pictures,

added picture showing more supports to keep things lined up.

picture showing the install of the side sections that could not be formed in the mold, set up was 36 inch at the transom and 30 inch on the aft end by 27 inches forward to aft deep.

This brings it to a waterline of 30 ft.

Comment

Had some more time so to post some more pictures,

put a slight 45 dg. on the inside bottom was told by designers it would help in the turns?

We will see, glassing thing together.

Next will be building the plug for the new swim deck.

Attached files

Comment

Awsome project. I cant wait for the next installment. Hopefully you will share the performance benefits.
                2001 2859 DREAMER
                Bohemia River Maryland

Comment

Thank you and yes I will.

Comment

Hi Fritz

Finally get to see the project steps, beings I've seen the finished project!!

One thing we know for sure is that you float higher in the stern than a stock 2859.

How did you get under the ex fish box area? could bearly see you in the picture you sent :P

Talk soon

Skeeter

Comment

Thanks Sceeter have a good one. :P

Comment

Now on with the project, since all of the mods, the existing swim platform is to small. so made a quick copy so to be able to cut it in to sections and stretch it out,

first cut long ways to extend aft, out too 36 inches well it came out just a shade over ok.

Then the ends where cut and pushed out since we are a bit wider, need to fit over the pods.

The plug is in rouge form completed and test fitted.

Comment

Had to get some help on that one tat thing is heavy, to explain Plug - is a form created 3 dimensional of what you would like the finished part to look like, can be wood bondo any thing that forms, must be finished slick-- I like polyester primer sand smooth and can be waxed and PVA sprayed so the mold will not stick.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but what particular advantages does it give ? Will the extra weight not cancel out the less dependency on trim flaps?

Comment

Most likely the pods and extended platform will be under 200 pounds, or about 1 lard but standing on the swim deck.
                              Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Working...
                              X