Turning that crystal ball into a compass-gctid684629

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning that crystal ball into a compass-gctid684629

While doing the walk through after purchasing our boat, my brother in law he made a snide remark about when we were going to perform a s├®ance with our crystal ball.. Looking at the big compass in the Salon , it was brown.. So looking after looking around for a replacement, we decided the 600.00 would be better spent on something else on the boat. The Compass is a White Star 6" Riveria srl Genova flush mount. Doing some reading on refurbishing a compass, the only thing I needed was a small phillips screwdriver and a bottle of mineral oil. So I drained the old yellow mineral oil out, took the dang thing apart, stuck the dang globe under hot soapy water and wiped it clean. Used Q-tips to wipe off the scum on the inside and out that had brown scum all over it , and slapped it back together. Filled it up and lo and behold ..one compass ready to go back to work! I did check it with another compass we have on board and it did stay calibrated.

Nice job! The compass guy in Everett told me that some compass companies keep barrels of compass oil outdoors to free up floor space, and that the oils are affected by that and will discolor over time. I replaced my two OEM compasses with new Ritchie compasses, but their form factor was different and I ended up having to get stainless steel mounting rings made. Big PITA. I should have had the OEM ones brought up to snuff the way you did.

Comment

You should start a compass restoration business!!

Nice work!
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Came out real nice, have to do the same thing to mine,,, it's on the list! :-(

Comment

Very nice job - I'm sure the result was very satisfying.

Comment

I was lucky to find the.mineral oil at REDDEN marine in Homer. West marine or go2 marine has it on their web page. The old oil makes great fire starter!

Comment

Too bad I didn't see this thread back last Sept. Must say that the Everett fellow did a nice job rebuilding two dead compasses on my 3288 and then adjusting the swing. However, would liked to have seen this first to clean and refill as you did. Thanks.
              Ned Porges / Seattle

Comment

I wanted to add that We now keep the compasses covered to keep this from happening again. With 21.5 hours of summer daylight, its just a good idea.

Comment

Good save. I knew brothers-in-laws had to be good for something!

Looks really sharp. it sure feels good when a boat project actually turns out the way we envisioned at the outset.

nice job.

Be safe

Comment

Looks great, well done. Could you have used Glycerin perhaps and if so would it discolour like the oil?

Comment

Don't know if glycerin could be used. This was a mineral oil specifically made for compasses according to the label.

Comment

Snow, great restoration job! Don't you just love saving a bunch of money on projects that otherwise would have cost a bunch of $$$?
                        Jim Gandee
                        1989 3888
                        Hino 175's
                        Fire Escape
                        Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Yes I do! I could not even find a compass to fit the hole in the dash..The boat came with a new Compass on the flying bridge since that is where the old owner preferred to captain from. Hubby prefers the salon area since it is much warmer... ;-)

Fanny needs the money to go for more important things ...like bottom paint this spring.

Comment

The last time I had to refurbish a compass I bought Ritchie compass fluid.

I seem to recall I ordered it through west marine, but it was a while ago.

The trick is usually finding the leak and repairing it, the refill and seal. The bladder takes care of thermal expansion.

James
                            1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                            Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                            Lowrance Electronics!
                            MMSI
                            VHF
                            CFA 2587
                            Boating on Georgian Bay
                            Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

Great job. I love the old compasses with the glass globe. I have restored a couple myself.

Glad you preserved that one. They don't make them like that anymore.

I have a friend who was given one from a Coast Guard 40. It sets in his living room.

Damn I want that compass. I don't need it as I have 2 nice ones on my boat but I want it.

Doug
                              Started boating 1955
                              Number of boats owned 32
                              Bayliners
                              3870 presently owned
                              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
                              X