Gas tank removal and replacement on 2859-gctid666519

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank removal and replacement on 2859-gctid666519

Question concerning gas tank removal on my 2859, my tank was fiber glassed in on the top and sides is this normal? Getting it out was not fun band aids required. :woohoo:

Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Yep, they just set them in place and blasted them with the chopper gun. Mine was glassed in like that as well.

Comment

where did you get the replacement and part no. ? approximate cost?
      cglazier - "Fiftybucks"
      1995 2855 7.4 bravo II

Comment

Well....I've had to do it twice now. The one I put in 7 years ago corroded because of the strips of plywood that were chopper gunned on to the bilge absorbed moisture when I washed the gasoline that leaked out during that replacement. The contact of the wet wood on that aluminum made quick work of it. This time I cut those strips out, and 5200'd 1"x3" strips of PVC onto the tank to keep it off the bilge and allow for air circulation. The company that made the original on mine was RDS and they had the original drawings/dimensions on hand:

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/marine-custom.html

They delivered the completed tank to my door in exactly two weeks for $850, shipping included. Tank has the sending unit installed.

Comment

I must have been lucky no corrosion, my project is to move the fill and vent pipes to the end corner extend them aft with 90dg. up for inlet and vent. The tank will be moved forward by all that I can and up to the water tank with an bulkhead as separator, the object is to transfer weight forwarded and help in the balance of the boat when I install the new engine, diesel. :evil:

Comment

"mainecoast" post=666530 wrote:
            Yep, they just set them in place and blasted them with the chopper gun. Mine was glassed in like that as well.
            +1

Mine also
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"fritzman" post=666537 wrote:
              I must have been lucky no corrosion, my project is to move the fill and vent pipes to the end corner extend them aft with 90dg. up for inlet and vent. The tank will be moved forward by all that I can and up to the water tank with an bulkhead as separator, the object is to transfer weight forwarded and help in the balance of the boat when I install the new engine, diesel. :evil:
              Fritz, if I ever do it again I would do the same. Seems getting more weight forward would improve things. Keep us updated with your progress.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              Misc. projects thread

Comment

Good morning and thanks for the comments, this afternoon I will clean up BL. poor glass job and remove the forward plywood and start prepping for the new bulkhead, O need to pick up more band aids. :woohoo:

Comment

Gas tank saga, I have been reading with interest other posts mentioning gas tank issues, and corrosion of the tanks, one of the problems I discovered in the proses of rebuilding the space that contains the tank, is that the bulkhead forward of the tank is totally closed of ( as required by CG rules ) no limber holes, drains, since the majority of boats sit bow down when in the slip any water rain or other runs forward and that part of the tank sits in water--- corrosion is the result. The manufacture neglected to install a bilge pump in this area, my boat will have one prior to reinstalling the tank and it will be 9 to 10 inches further forward from it original location weight transfer. hmy:

Comment

Wow Fritz major job!!! hope I don't have to do it...

good job!!!

Comment

Been of on other jobs, now back to the tank, cutting out the bulkhead in front of the tank lots of fun :silly: that's how II feel. In the last picture you can see the water tank, next will be cleanup and constructing a new bulkhead .

Comment

Well cleaned things up and completed building the new bulkhead that will be forward of the tank, yes I my resin is west system first the fiberglass panels where attached with six 10 and the rest glassed over with mat and boat cloth saturated with 105/ 205 creating a good bond, next a bit of thin layer of vinelester resin so that the white gelcoat will bond .

Comment

[spoiler][/spoiler] Did rubber strips get taped to all tanks? Admin attempting to add to heading, did I get it correct by punching spoiler?

Comment

Had a bit of time , so the project is heading to completion,

Comment

[quote]"fritzman" post=679204 wrote:
                              Well cleaned things up and completed building the new bulkhead that will be forward of the tank, yes I my resin is west system first the fiberglass panels where attached with six 10 and the rest glassed over with mat and boat cloth saturated with 105/ 205 creating a good bond, next a bit of thin layer of vinelester resin so that the white gelcoat will bond .

So you apply the vinelester resin while the epoxy is still tacky or what?

Details dude

Can't speak for others but I know my old tank had those rubber strips around it also. Had some real good corrosion happening under all of them.

You installing a new tank or does your original pass the test?
                              Dave
                              Edmonds, WA
                              "THE FIX"
                              Misc. projects thread

Comment

Working...
                              X