Panasonic 37 LED TV Install - part 2-gctid344556

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic 37 LED TV Install - part 2-gctid344556

I salvaged and cut down the original cherry frame and attached a small panel with grille cloth. The downward firing TV speakers and the 5.1 system center channel speaker hide behind the grille:

The bottom frame and grill unit completes the installation:

An added advantage for the Panasonic TV was the easy integration with the Panasonic blu-ray player and 5.1 surround sound system already in place.

Great Job! Looks OEM and I'm sure it sounds great with 5.1 surround sound.

Comment

Why two topics instead of two posts in one topic?

Looks nice!

Paint the bottom bracket black so it doesn't show through the mesh.

Comment

The board won't allow more than 6 pics on a single post. Hence 2 parts to this post.

Comment

Very nice installation. You won't have to worry about being able to see that screen from anywhere in the boat.We have an installed, older TV on our boat. Problem is the location, it is too low and difficult to watch from the table. Will probably be removing it and replacing it with an electric fireplace for those cold winter night aboard. Going with a larger flat screen that will sit on top. Would like to have it drop down into the shelf but I con't believe I would have enough room with the fireplace also. Could use some of the space for the tv and add some doors to the cabinet for video storage. Still working out what we will end with.Your project does motivate me. Very nice indeed.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/647266=23850-3272199_0_20110210154752_4_0.jpg[/img]
          Patrick and Patti
          4588 Pilothouse 1991
          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
          M/V "Paloma"
          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

wingless wrote:
            Why two topics instead of two posts in one topic?
            Jacob wrote:
            The board won't allow more than 6 pics on a single post. Hence 2 parts to this post.
            Like this...

Jacob wrote:
            Panasonic 37" LED TV Install

Our 30 Mitsubishi LCD "cabin heater" was getting a little long in the tooth and was in need of repairs to correct the green cast. Given the price of new TV's I decided on a Panasonic 37" LED unit. Full 1080p and 39 watts power consumption, plus the fact I needed something large enough to cover the old cavity made me choose the Panasonic. Not many brands manufacture 37" units any more.

This was the old TV, which had an odd shape compared to new HD units. Whoever did the original installation must have intended it would survive a collision at sea, even with an Italian cruise ship. It was very well installed, including the fabrication of a custom extra wide cabinet.

The new TV had a convenient 1/4" flange which would allow a "drop in" fit, but would require some sort of blind mounting system. I chose this simple low profile mount:

The idea behind these mounts is that the top rail is hung first on an angle then the bottom clicks in by pushing the tv towards the wall. Fine if you're mounting on a wall. Unfortunately, this didn't work out because of the geometry and clearances of the "drop in" cavity. I needed the bracket to stand off out of the cavity, then fit into the cavity once the tv was engaged in the mounting track.

Hence the 3 inch long 3/8" carriage bolts and wing nuts which allowed enough stand off of the wall portion of the bracket during the preliminary fit:

Once the TV was loosely positioned into the cavity and the track was engaged, I tightened the wing nuts from the bottom and behind the plywood mounting plate. This essentially sucked the TV into the cavity with the TV flange covering the edges of the cavity on the top and sides.

I added an angle bracket on the bottom to take most of the weight of the TV and to ensure a robust installation.

Comment

Papa Charlie wrote:
              Very nice installation. You won't have to worry about being able to see that screen from anywhere in the boat.We have an installed, older TV on our boat. Problem is the location, it is too low and difficult to watch from the table. Will probably be removing it and replacing it with an electric fireplace for those cold winter night aboard. Going with a larger flat screen that will sit on top. Would like to have it drop down into the shelf but I con't believe I would have enough room with the fireplace also. Could use some of the space for the tv and add some doors to the cabinet for video storage. Still working out what we will end with.Your project does motivate me. Very nice indeed.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
              When we had the 4788 I had the same problem with the factory TV location. I ended up replacing one of tub chairs in the salon with a cabinet with the TV on top, mounted on a swivel. I often wondered if you couldn't mount a swing down flat panel TV on the ceiling. Another idea would be to build a shallow, wide cabinet that the TV rises out of with a motorized or spring loaded mount.

Comment

Working...
              X