The Head Job from Hell-gctid367532

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Head Job from Hell-gctid367532

It was on our wish list for a long, long time. An electric head, toilet that is, to replace the hand-pump model that came with the boat. Actually, two hand-pump models were on board when we bought the boat, but we needed storage for the captain's tools more than a second head, so we converted our "en suite" powder room to an "en suite" tool room. You do what you have to do.

Our new electric head was a Christmas gift from Mom and Dad Wood. John spent countless hours researching different models on the internet and shopping for the best price. He found the item and I placed the order and then the waiting began.

Four weeks passed by and just as we thought our new head would arrive, John noticed the money for it refunded to our visa account. OH OH, no head.

So we began again and re-ordered, this time from another source. Island Time. By the time the head actually arrived on our island, it was Feb 9th. Joe was due to arrive on Feb 12th.

The plan had been to use the washroom in the house while John installed the new head. It didn't quite work out that way, but Joe was very understanding as we wandered into his house to use his washroom for a couple of days.

The wall behind the head had to be replaced also. We did the rest of the room ages ago, but waited until we installed a new head to change the wall behind it. This added a day to the time the job took to complete.

Every square foot of the inside of this boat was covered with tools, pipes, wire and items that appear to me to be scraps of garbage, but when I try to throw them out, I find from John, are priceless gadgets, coveted items which we must save for a rainy day. AHHHHHH, into the bottomless junk drawer they go.

Finally, after two days of work, feeding wires through walls and changing plumbing, which runs under the floor of the boat and requires that the captain works on his hands and knees, we were ready for a test run.

Clean water was used, of course, for this trial and it was a good thing, for when John pushed the nifty little button on the wall, the water was not flushed down the drain, but flung back at us. It was a LOT of water.

Back to the drawing board. The new head came back out and John hauled it outside, hooked it up to a battery and ran the hose into it. FLUSH and down the water went, instead of coming back at us. AH, it's the plumbing that's the problem, not the head itself, we realized.

The old head stood, ugly and embarrassing, outside, on the dock, all this time. I begged John to drag it to the garbage pick-up spot, but he insisted that we keep it, just in case this new one didn't work out. This thought tortured me. There is no way that ugly old, creaky, cracked, leaky head was coming back on board this boat!

Hindsight is 20/20. We should have changed all the plumbing when we installed the new head. So back down on my knees I went, in the galley, while John went back down on his knees, his legs folded up around him in the small room, and we removed the old hose and fed through and re-connected the new one.

Three day and the job was done, the tools were put away, the mess cleaned up and the final photos taken of our HEAD JOB FROM HELL!

To view photos and/or follow Diamond Lil's adventures click on www.mytripjournal.com/johnandmel

Too funny! I'm still laughing!

What a great story!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

That was funny. Glad to hear from you Mel. Lot of water under the bridge after we met at Covered Portage Cove, eh?

Glad to see you are gettng a(head)

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

oh man...this had my interest peeked like you wouldn't believe....till I read the story....

good job getting the new twa-lette installed....

may it serve you well.......

:arr arr

Comment

I feel your pain. With any kind of luck, I'll finish my new-head-install-project-from-hell this week. I bought the new toilet last October, hoping to use it before the warranty expires. Yes, I'll be posting a thread with pics...:smilet-digitalpoint
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Hey Mel!

Awesome story and I am still laughing.. I can feel your pain, every project I do on this boat takes twice as long and costs twice as much as I thought.. Slowly but surely she is getting restored. I see your new book has come out and I am looking forward to reading it.. Take care and be safe!

Comment

Thanks guys! Sorry about the lack of photos, I couldn't get them to upload to the site, strange because I've been able to do so in the past. Thanks for your support of the book. I am hard at work on the second in the series, in between cocktails hours, of course!

Comment

Over the years I've developed lots of plumbing experience. It can be summed up as: "it all goes downhill". But that doesn't apply on a boat.

The best advice is to have the wife standing by w/ the camera for these projects.

Comment

This is as good a place as any to list the 5 rules to be a successful plumber:

1. Schitt rolls down hill.

2. HOT is on the left.

3. The boss is a pr**k.

4. Payday is Friday.

5. NEVER lick your fingers.

Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "GetAway"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Working...
                  X