My 32XX Cave Hatch Project-gctid546500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 32XX Cave Hatch Project-gctid546500

There have been many posts on this project so I thought I add mine to the mix. First off, many thanks to the contributors of this thread:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...ve-hatch-again

This was very helpful in planning my project which was inspired by my need to replace the raw water intake hose for the head and holding tank. After banging my head and scrapping my back a few times crawling in and out of the cave I thought "enough is enough...I'm cutting that hole".

Here is my progress so far....

My opening is 24" x 42" and is 8" from the helm. I wanted it as far forward as I could get it.

I then made my straight cuts on all four sides with a circular saw using a narrow kerf blade (Freud 40 tooth for finishing and plywood) and it cut beautifully. I had a friend follow me with a shop vac to catch some of the dust but lets just say I have A LOT of vacuuming to do.

Before I cut the curved corners I positioned and traced the SS table hinges I'm going to use as it needed to be routered. I was easier to do this now. I only had about 3" from the hinge center (closest to the helm) to the cabinet to fit the router. I just had enough room.

Next, I went below the hatch opening and screwed in two lengths of strapping to support the hatch cover while I cut the corners. This prevented me and the hatch from falling through the hole.

I used a 10 TPI down cutting jig saw blade for the corners. My jig saw has a scrolling feature which I need to use to get around the corner closest to the cabinet. The fiber glass was extremely hard on these blades and I burned through 4 making these cuts.

The flange I'll be using is a half sheet of 3/4" plywood. I left a 3" mounting surface all around the flange and a 1" lip for the hatch to rest on. The over all flange dimensions is 30" x 48". My friend took the hatch we just cut and positioned it on the plywood and traced it. Then measured in 1" from the traced line. Easy.
    "Martini's Law"
    1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Here is the flange almost ready for install. I will be pre-drilling the holes in the flange for the SS screws. I originally bought #10 1 1/2" but determined they were too long so I be using 1 1/4".

So this is my progress so far. I hope to get back out today to finish up.
    "Martini's Law"
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"diveguy" post=546501 wrote:
      Here is the flange almost ready for install. I will be pre-drilling the holes in the flange for the SS screws. I originally bought #10 1 1/2" but determined they were too long so I be using 1 1/4".

[attachment]3682 wrote:
      IMG-20140322-00028.jpg[/attachment]

So this is my progress so far. I hope to get back out today to finish up.
      So how will you get the flange down the hole? Seems like you ned to cut it into 2.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

[/quote]So how will you get the flange down the hole? Seems like you ned to cut it into 2.[/quote]

HA! That is an excellent question and you gave me a moment of panic there. I should be able to bring it through the cave entrance from the aft berth. But if not then yes, I'll have to cut it in two.
        "Martini's Law"
        Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"diveguy" post=546504 wrote:
          So how will you get the flange down the hole? Seems like you ned to cut it into 2.[/quote]

HA! That is an excellent question and you gave me a moment of panic there. I should be able to bring it through the cave entrance from the aft berth. But if not then yes, I'll have to cut it in two.[/quote]

Got it. Wasn't sure if you had a trick that isn't appearant from the pictures. Keep us posted on the progress.

Mike

Comment

Well it's finished and I'm glad I did it.

I couldn't get #10 1 1/4" screws so I got #8's instead. I was a little worried they wouldn't be big enough but they were fine. I have at least 75 screws plus 5200 adhesive holding the flange in place.

"Martini's Law"
            Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Geat job!

Did you seal the wood with anything? Resin. Hate to see it rot down the road.

Mike

Comment

"Nauti Mike" post=546543 wrote:
                Geat job!

Did you seal the wood with anything? Resin. Hate to see it rot down the road.
                No I didn't actually. I'll seal it eventually but I'm not too concerned about it given it's in a area that is dry.
                "Martini's Law"
                Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Looks great, good job Trevor!!

Comment

"nickatnite" post=546556 wrote:
                    Looks great, good job Trevor!!
                    Thanks. Next task is to replace to raw water hose for the toilet. I think I'll be cutting some access holes in the vanity to route the new hose as others have done.

And thanks for sending me your pictures as well.
                    "Martini's Law"
                    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"]No I didn't actually. I'll seal it eventually but I'm not too concerned about it given it's in a area that is dry"

Not to belabor the idea, but dry or not, the plywood will become distorted and begin to decay with just air. SEAL it FAST! B)
                      David
                      http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                      http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Thanks David. This is on my "do to" list before launching. This was an oversight in my urgency to get it completed as I would have coated it with resin prior to install.
                        "Martini's Law"
                        Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Great job and thanks for the very helpful pictures!
                          CapMartin, Montr├®al
                          "Belle de Dalhousie"
                          1986 3270
                          Volvo BB225B

Comment

"CapMartin" post=553309 wrote:
                            Great job and thanks for the very helpful pictures!
                            No problem. This was a great mod for me as I had to run new sanitation and water lines and install a holding tank and macerator. It would have been a real pain to have to go through the aft stater room.
                            "Martini's Law"
                            Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

Dave, I am getting ready to do this myself next week! Can you tell me what adhesive you used to bond the flange to the bottom of the deck? I see that you used screws from beneath so I hope that adhesive is really strong and reliable as my chair will be directly on top of the hatch and I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs. I was considering counter sinking bolts from above and have nuts and washers on the bottom as an alternative. It would be a little messier on top but might be more secure. Not sure. The carpet will cover it either way. Thanks again for sharing this with all of us.
                              1991 3288 Hino 150HP

Comment

Working...
                              X