Monitor Closed Cooling Install-gctid342686

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Closed Cooling Install-gctid342686

I recently installed a Monitor Pro MFH-5320-B on my 2007 212 Cuddy. Mercruiser 5.0 with dry exhaust. Purchased from boatfix.com, best price I could find.Directions say about 5 hours on a new engine, took me just over 14 hours working solo. Directions list around 10 specific tools you will need, I ended up with roughly half of my tool chest in the boat and walked approximately 2 miles with all the trips in and out of the boat and back and forth to the tool box.Overall the install was pretty simple and would have gone much faster with an extra set of hands and feet.Called Monitor tech support with 2 questions, left 2 messages, it has been over a month and still no returned call. This worries me a bit, but I found my answers else where and things are working great.The only problem I ran into... Coolant overflow bottle is supposed to mount on the front of the heat exchanger. It is a good 2 inches to deep to fit in the engine compartment. My solution was to purchase an aluminum racing over flow bottle and custom mount it. It came out looking very slick and fit tucked out of the way nicely.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/645279=23691-Monitor Cooling System.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/645279=23692-20120110_65.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/645279=23693-20120110_70.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/645279=23694-20120110_81.jpg[/img] Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/645279=23697-20120110_82.jpg[/img]

E X T R E M E L Y nice and very sanitary looking! GREAT job!
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Yes..... nice clean installation! coo-

You mention dry exhaust, this would be "dry joint" exhaust.... yes/no?

FYI and FWIW... your coolant bottle should serve as a "coolant recovery reservoir", more so than an "over-flow" container.

Coolant should always be visible in the clear tube so that it can purge, and yet be siphoned back to the H/E as it cools down.

Perhaps that's how you have it set up.... I just noticed that the tube was empty.

[CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yes, you are corect on both points.

1) It is a "dry joint" exhaust sytem.

2) It is a coolant recovery resevoir, I took the pictures prior to adding coolant and running it.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X