Dave's transom repair my 2556

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I understood correctly then. Now I see why they didn't take the cores all the way across in one piece.

That makes it a bit easier to do then mine was I would guess. And yes, nice drawing.

Comment

• 2850Bounty
      Supporting Member
      • Oct 2003

Dave, you at a point where if you want to make your 2556 scoot...................

(wrong ratio....... but ya get the idea)

Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model 31' LOA
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling systems
      Volvo Penta Duo Prop Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on the forum.
      If you leave a "post", rather than a "comment", our members will see recent thread activity!

Comment

• builderdude
        BOC Site Team
        • Oct 2013

I never thought to change out the drive as the po just had a new lower unit installed a year before I bought the boat. I have 2 props for it also. A 19 and 21 pitch. He always carried a spare on board. I will be going through the engine and wanted to get your opinion on the possibility of stroking my 5.7 for some more HP while I have it apart but not 100% on that idea yet as my main focus is to get my fuel tank in and transom core repaired and get it all glassed back together so I have a boat again.

Guess that could/ will be a different thread when the time comes :whistle:
        Last edited by builderdude; 11-12-2017, 09:05 AM.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX" '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
        The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        My Misc. Projects
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• builderdude
          BOC Site Team
          • Oct 2013

Today was spent grinding and grinding, and some more grinding. 24 grit chewed it up quick. Should have taped my pant legs to my shoes :side:

I drilled in some test holes in the triangle areas that I suspected were solid glass, and they were. It's about 3/4 - 1" thick at the bottom and tapers down to 1/8 - 1/4" moving up, after grinding all the white off its a bit thinner now.

Here's a shot of both triangle shaped areas after grinding, haven't vacuumed yet
          And more grinding on the bottom where the engine stringers go.
          And a 1/2 bucket of dust
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	308.7 KB ID:	392492Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	360.2 KB ID:	392493Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	406.3 KB ID:	392494Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	452.5 KB ID:	392495
          Tomorrow Ill try to get all the rest of the prep grinding finished so I can hopefully be done with the dust storm :silly:

Anyone have any thoughts on how to determine if this is polyester resin or epoxy? It's all red in color, would that make it polyester? Is Epoxy grey/white? Sure was super thick in some areas, like it was poured on.

EDIT: in hind site I now know this was the original polyester resin layup and no previous repairs have been made
          Last edited by builderdude; 11-11-2017, 07:18 PM.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX" '93 2556
          My Misc. Projects

Comment

Looking good and I feel for ya Dave with all the grinding. Good that you know those spots are solid now.

Don't vacuum up any more of the grinding dust than you have to. It takes more fibers added to resin to make the paste than you would think.

It's better to have too much than not enough.

Keep up the grinding and try to get ALL of it done before you quit. That way you don't have to regret looking forward to going back and grinding more later.

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
              Supporting Member
              • Dec 2013

Now I get it! We all have been thinking it has been snowing when it has really been Dave and Larry grinding away :woohoo:

Hey guys how many more inches can we expect?
              1997 Silverton 362, 7.4 Crusaders
              1997 Maxum 2400 SCR, 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

• builderdude
                BOC Site Team
                • Oct 2013

Hey Mike, I'll contribute another 1/2" before I'm done :side:

If you'd like, you can come over and roll around in the white stuff and maybe build yourself a dustman :silly:
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX" '93 2556
                My Misc. Projects

Comment

• builderdude
                  BOC Site Team
                  • Oct 2013

"LRCX 2750" post=542569 wrote:
                  Looking good and I feel for ya Dave with all the grinding. Good that you know those spots are solid now.

Don't vacuum up any more of the grinding dust than you have to. It takes more fibers added to resin to make the paste than you would think.

Keep up the grinding and try to get ALL of it done before you quit. That way you don't have to regret looking forward to going back and grinding more later.
                  You mean I have to touch that stuff again? I'll probably have to buy some mill fibers if I don't end up with enough. A lot of the dust wasn't that clean.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX" '93 2556
                  My Misc. Projects

Comment

OR a dust angel!

Comment

"builderdude" post=542594 wrote:
                      "LRCX 2750" post=542569 wrote:

You mean I have to touch that stuff again? I'll probably have to buy some mill fibers if I don't end up with enough. A lot of the dust wasn't that clean.
                      Before I use ANY of my grinding fibers, I sift them through a screen of 1/4" screen to remove anything too large. Remember that every particle in the fibers will be encapsulated in resin. I few wood of other fibers won't be a problem when your using it as a bonding paste.

Comment

• builderdude
                        BOC Site Team
                        • Oct 2013

Good point. And I remember you set the bag of fibers in front of the heater to dry them up. Ok I'll start treating my fibers better :lol:
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX" '93 2556
                        My Misc. Projects

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                          Supporting Member
                          • Dec 2013

Dust men or angles, now there is something to sneeze about :P

Grind away and i'll fire up the blower :lol:
                          1997 Silverton 362, 7.4 Crusaders
                          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR, 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

"builderdude" post=542602 wrote:
                            Good point. And I remember you set the bag of fibers in front of the heater to dry them up. Ok I'll start treating my fibers better :lol:
                            You don't have to keep a heater in front of them, unless they were wet in the first place. But it doesn't look like they were. Just keep them in an area where they can't absorb moisture. I keep mine in my shop so they stay warm and dry.

Comment

• builderdude
                              BOC Site Team
                              • Oct 2013

Got out early today to hopefully finish up my grinding. I thought id try to put a box fan against the key hole to pull the floating dust fibers out of my work area.
                              It worked really good. I made another good sized pile of grinding fibers, with very little floating around in there. My 5 gallon bucket is now almost full. :silly:
                              Had about another hour or so to go when my grinder decided to give up on me, tried to fix it but the trigger was shot. I was all taped up and prepared to finish too. :side: I needed a new one anyway and picked up some extra discs while I was there (home depot). Here's a shot of the yard after I climbed out.
                              So another bit of grinding tomorrow and maybe a transom core template if I have time.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1643
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	392498Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1662
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	392499
                              Last edited by builderdude; 11-11-2017, 07:21 PM.
                              Dave
                              Edmonds, WA
                              "THE FIX" '93 2556
                              My Misc. Projects

Comment

Now that all looks so familiar. Cool setup with the fan. Sorry to hear about the grinder. I kept expecting mine to give up but it never did. One thing to make sure you do once in a while is to blow out the grinder with an air hose while it's running. Glass dust is rough on electronics.

It may sound crazy, but since a lot of the dust outside is in a generalized area, I would vacuum up as much as possible. You don't want to be getting that dust all over yourself or the family later down the road.

Keep at it Dave it's sounds like your almost done with the grinding.

Comment

Working...