This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"builderdude" post=542939 wrote:
    Got out early today to hopefully finish up my grinding. I thought id try to put a box fan against the key hole to pull the floating dust fibers out of my work area.

[attachment]3302 wrote:
    image_2014-03-06.jpg[/attachment]

It worked really good. I made another good sized pile of grinding fibers, with very little floating around in there. My 5 gallon bucket is now almost full. :silly:

[attachment]3303 wrote:
    image_2014-03-06-2.jpg[/attachment]

Had about another hour or so to go when my grinder decided to give up on me, tried to fix it but the trigger was shot. I was all taped up and prepared to finish too. :side: I needed a new one anyway and picked up some extra discs while I was there (home depot). Here's a shot of the yard after I climbed out.

[attachment]3304 wrote:
    image_2014-03-06-3.jpg[/attachment]

So another bit of grinding tomorrow and maybe a transom core template if I have time.
    Soon you will be able to make your own dust angle
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Put my new grinder to work today.
      I think I'm finished with the major grinding. Here's a shot all cleaned up.
      After a good 2-3 hours of cleaning up and vacuuming glass dust from everywhere I decided to install 3 new through hull fittings. All Stainless, fuel vent, water and holding tank vents. Used 5200
      Holding tank vent is a standard through hull type, so you can blast it clean w the hose when it plugs up.
      Didn't get to making my transom template, maybe this weekend :whistle:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	392501Click image for larger version

Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	392502Click image for larger version

Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	392503
      PS my bucket of fibers is now full :silly:
      Last edited by builderdude; 11-11-2017, 08:25 PM.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

A couple days ago I hopped in the boat and made a template for the transom core. I used heavy kraft type paper, taped it to the transom so it wouldn't move and trimmed it out.
        Today I picked up my core plywood. ABX 3/4 marine grade. Set it up on the saw horses and using my template I marked out my 2 transom cores. I had just enough room to get both cores out of the one sheeI plan to use all thread running through the "keyhole" and the scupper drain holes to clamp up my core tight to the transom. Ill also need to put 2 extra holes through the transom for additional clamping points. Here's a shot of the first core setting in place for a test fit. It sits above the piece of Doug fir at the very bottom of the hull. I'll fill the 3/8 "core holes" up when I get to glassing things up. The first core has about a 1/4 to 3/8 gap around the perimeter and I put a 3/8 radius on it too.
        Now it's time to go get some fiberglass supplies
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	402.5 KB ID:	392508Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	304.6 KB ID:	392509
        Last edited by builderdude; 11-11-2017, 08:31 PM.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        Misc. projects thread

Comment

It's looking really good Dave. I'll bet your glad to be done with all the preparation grinding.

Your lucky that you could get both cores out of one sheet even though they look larger than that.

Keep at at it Dude and you'll be on the water LONG before I am. Nice work!!!!

Comment

Coming along nice.

Keep it all in this topic, and when you feel the thread is complete, send me a pm and we can discuss your options as to where you would like the topic to be put up, in it's entirety.

I may not be posting regularly to this topic, but i will be following it very closely.

May the boat g-ds be with you !
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thanks Chief, ill be in touch.

So far the boat gods have been really helpful. :lol:
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              Misc. projects thread

Comment

You're a warrior Dave. That looks great! Glad the weather warmed up for the glass work. Had no idea you had that big of a project going.
                Dave and Cindy Johnson
                Claremont, CA
                1986 Bayliner Trophy 2560, 5.7 Volvo Penta
                1988 Four Winns Horizon 200, 5.7 OMC Cobra

Comment

"Indenial" post=544374 wrote:
                  You're a warrior Dave. That looks great! Glad the weather warmed up for the glass work. Had no idea you had that big of a project going.
                  Thanks, not sure about being a Warrior, just want to go boating :lol: projects always seem to go farther than originally anticipated. As I've read on this site: " boats are like onions, you just keep peeling back the layers"
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

"builderdude" post=544456 wrote:
                    "Indenial" post=544374 wrote:
                    Thanks, not sure about being a Warrior, just want to go boating :lol: projects always seem to go farther than originally anticipated. As I've read on this site: " boats are like onions, you just keep peeling back the layers"
                    Some boats like onions make you cry and other don't.

Chin up Spring is coming :cheer:
                    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Keep it up Dave. Your doing great! It gets easier from here on!

Comment

"builderdude" post=543140 wrote:
                        Put my new grinder to work today.

[attachment]3326 wrote:
                        image_2014-03-07.jpg[/attachment]

I think I'm finished with the major grinding. Here's a shot all cleaned up.

[attachment]3332 wrote:
                        image_2014-03-08.jpg[/attachment]

After a good 2-3 hours of cleaning up and vacuuming glass dust from everywhere I decided to install 3 new through hull fittings. All Stainless, fuel vent, water and holding tank vents. Used 5200

[attachment]3333 wrote:
                        image_2014-03-08-2.jpg[/attachment]

Holding tank vent is a standard through hull type, so you can blast it clean w the hose when it plugs up

[attachment]3334 wrote:
                        image_2014-03-08-3.jpg[/attachment]

Didn't get to making my transom template, maybe this weekend :whistle:

PS my bucket of fibers is now full :silly:
                        Nice job on those SS thru hull fittings, they are sexy...

Where from? How much?
                        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                        93 3058
                        92 2855
                        91 Fourwinns 205
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

Comment

Got some from Harbor Marine and some at Fisheries supply. All Stainless

The little fuel tank ones about $12-15

3/4-1 1/8" about $18-25

1 1/2 about $25-30

I like the ones from fisheries better they don't have the little tabs on the inside. That's the only difference I could tell.
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          Misc. projects thread

Comment

Ok, can't let Larry have all the fun :silly:

Had to go make some $ so I could buy my materials. I now have enough to get me started (I hope). Going to use West system epoxy for the repairs. So far I have 2 gallons of resin and 2 quarts of hardener (1 fast cure and 1 slow cure) , and some biaxial sewn to heavy mat and some plain mat. I've got lots of little fills/ repairs to do around the fuel tank area and transom area before I plunge into sticking the transom core(s), so I'm going to start with the small stuff first. My plan is to do some "testing" on an old piece of the inner skin so I can get the hang of the epoxy and thickening it with the " grindings" before I attempt to use it in the boat. Don't want to mess this up! I hope to get to some of the small things tomorrow.

Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	392510
                            Last edited by builderdude; 11-11-2017, 08:35 PM.
                            Dave
                            Edmonds, WA
                            "THE FIX"
                            Misc. projects thread

Comment

Did some quick testing yesterday on a the interior skin. Mixed up some resin and fast cure hardener for about 2 minutes, then started to add some of my grindings to thicken it up. Stuck down 2 separate pieces of cedar with the thickened up mix but didn't wet out either surface first.
                              This morning I thought I'd see just how strong it bonded by trying to break it off of the skin. Keep in mind the skin was only an 1/8" at best and was flexing and creaking while I was trying to peel off the wood.
                              I'm convinced I don't need to worry about the strength of this stuff, but I'm going to get some of West systems 406 filler to try instead of the grindings. I want to see if it will hold the shape of the fillet after its been tooled. The mix I used for the fillets would sag/settle down over time and the 406 isn't supposed too. We shall see.

Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	392511Click image for larger version

Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	392512
                              Last edited by builderdude; 11-11-2017, 08:38 PM.
                              Dave
                              Edmonds, WA
                              "THE FIX"
                              Misc. projects thread

Comment

The amount of resin/filler you used on your test pieces is more than needed, a thin film would suffice. As long as the pieces you are bonding have a clean mating surface, as in two new pieces of wood, a thin film, without any fillers even, will do. If bonding a piece of wood to an uneven piece of glass, then you need the filler to make for a thicker film (gap filling properties). One of the strengths/reasons I choose to use West System is that ability to create a bond stronger than the material, ie. the wood will break before the glue joint will let go.

Comment

Working...
                                X