Espar Heater Install, Contessa-gctid533973

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Espar Heater Install, Contessa-gctid533973

I bought this refurbished heater on eBay for around 500 and added about 300 in installation pieces (double walled thru-hull, exhaust extensions and insulation, thermostat, etc). I installed it in the little compartment under the captains chair.

It did cost some room in the cabinet after I trimmed out the back of it to hide/shield the exhaust pipe. I ran the power line and thermostat wiring thru the cabinet, up, and along the hull to the dash where i tied into the DC power and the thermostat (just to the left of the wheel). The fresh air input is in the cabinet, this works fine as I built some slide in drawers, thus the cabinet does not get stuffed and block the input (I'll post that project separately).

I ran the fuel line and fuel pump power lines along the hull to the engine room where I have mounted a 9 gallon portable fuel tank (I know red is for gas, but the choices in yellow are very limited.

I found some fuel line quick-disconnects at a Racor store so that I can disconnect and unstrap the tank to take it somewhere to refill if need be. This is a diesel heater and tank so it is okay to vent it in the engine room. I still need to clean up the lines a bit.

Some thoughts. The unit came with a temp controller, but it sensed temp at the fresh air input side of the heater. Sounds reasonable, but to do this the fan has to run continuously to sample that air; so I bought a thermostat which senses the air where you mount it thus more accurate and the fan doesn't run when there is no call for heat. There is a bit of noise(nothing irritating) at start up, but is pretty quiet once running.
Working...
X