New Life for 3058-gctid526703

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Life for 3058-gctid526703

Didn't think we would be able to get this done this year, still have lots to do, but we made some progress.

We sold our 2556 this past July and purchased this 1992 3058 - all in a matter of two weeks. We purchased the boat from the original owner with only 250 hours on her. She was in great shape, but just wanted to update her a bit.

Here's what she looked like when we bought her.

Then we tore her apart. We really wanted to put in hardwoods for the floor, but without heating the boat in the winter we were worried about wood movement. We ended up putting in carpet, we had enough left over from the house to do the entire boat - whoo hoo . We purchased some sisal carpet runners and made our own carpet runners.

With my little old basic home sewing machine and some rum , we sewed up the cushions out of ultra-leather. That was the hardest part of the whole thing. Had lots of fun making the lamp though. We weaved it out of reeds and seagrass.

Attached files

Pep & Felicia
    1991 3288 150 hino's

In the V-berth area, we cut access holes and put doors on them. We put shelves in them to help organize. This should make access easier than lifting up the cushions. We still have to put in new wallpaper on the head bulkhead to match the v-berth.

We made an access door in the helm area. We also now have this area for storage.

A few galley photos. The cabinets are mahogany. We added some drawers instead of just shelves. We did this in our 2556 too, just made access easier. There is also a pull-out garbage under the sink. The refer we ended up getting on Craigslist for $400 and sold our old one for $200, thought it was a good trade. Originally, it was just an unused space under the refer, so we cut an access and put on a door. Thought it would be a good area for pans etc. I'll have to take some pictures of what Pep did in one of the drawers, he made a really cool sliding silverware drawer. Lucky girl to have such a talented husband! We recovered all the Formica's counters as well - just recovered with new Formica. We picked up some LED rope lights and put a section on the starboard side as you enter the boat.

We skinned both the head door and aft cabin door in 1/4" mahogany. I was hoping that the blue wallpaper on the head would work ok, but unfortunately I looks like we need to recover that as well.

We ended up making our own venturi out of Lexan. Lexan does have the tendency to scratch, so we'll have to be careful, but at least it won't break. We also hinged the radar arch since we transport it twice a year. Both those two projects were head scratchers and again required some rum, but we somehow managed. We'll have to wait until spring to get some pictures as it is all covered up.

Still have to sew up canvas for the whole boat, probably will have to wait till next year though on that project. Running out of time.

Looks like we are now heading off to the shop to start sewing up the exterior upholstery now. I found some pictures of a 3058 in Japan that used cream for the exterior, sure looked good. Can't wait to actually start relaxing out on the water!

Felicia
    Pep & Felicia
    1991 3288 150 hino's

Comment

You guys, that is so OUTRAGIOUS! Sexxy as hell. Can't wait to see her.

Nicely done!
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

"talman" post=526737 wrote:
        You guys, that is so OUTRAGIOUS! Sexxy as hell. Can't wait to see her.

Nicely done!
        Thanks Tally - it was a real fun project for us - we're excited to see your new boat too!
        Pep & Felicia
        1991 3288 150 hino's

Comment

We just completed the exterior upholstery. The sewing on this boat has been my most challenging sewing project I have ever done. Considering that the cost of doing all the exterior upholstery was only about $181 for 15 yards, though not perfect, we are pretty satisfied with the results for the money we saved. We bought the vinyl for $116 off Ebay and the 1/4" foam for $66 from Del & Kerns. Some of the sellers will even send you samples. The 15 yards did all the flybridge and the lounge seat in the cockpit and a skirt under the helm to hide the wires. The cost for the all the interior ultraleather was $338 (shipping included) again of Ebay. I'm not sure the cost of having a professional do all the upholstery, but I'm sure it would have been more than we would be willing to part with. More $$ to put in the fuel tank!

There was 17 pieces to put together for the lounge seat backrest.

The captains chair - I just didn't feel there was anyway I could sew this to where it looked half way decent. Here's a picture of it all laid out ready for sewing - very intimidating! We had noticed a lot of rust staining the fiberglass on the bridge. After pulling apart all the upholstery, the had used mostly galvanized staples and drywall screws in the captains chair (not Bayliner, but whatever shop had redone the upholstery).

Our panels for the gauge cluster were really faded and couldn't read what the switches went to. We ordered the 1/8" woodgrain plastic from Ebay again for about $30. We used a table saw and scroll saw to cut everything out. We ordered the switches online, but can't remember who it was. We also used the woodgrain plastic on the flybridge lounge to replace the plastic where the cup holders go.

Our next project I think we are going to attempt is the canvas work. We are going to do a flybridge enclosure, so if anyone has comments on what they like or don't like on there enclosures I would love the input - thanks. We want to be able to open it up easily for when we want to sit up there for when the sun is out.

Felicia
          Pep & Felicia
          1991 3288 150 hino's

Comment

WOW !!

Outstanding work.
            Jim McNeely
            New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
            Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
            Brighton, Michigan USA
            MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Looks Great! Do you have an industrial sewing machine?
              Ted G
              81 2555 Saratoga Sun Bridge
              5.7 Volvo 290 DP OD
              (soon 4 sale)

86 2850 Contessa
              Mercury 350 Mag
              290 Volvo DP

Comment

Thank you. We don't have an industrial machine, wish we did! We use a 1980 very basic home sewing machine. It would have been a lot easier with a walking foot. For large pieces and complicated curves Pep helps holds and turns the pieces. We borrowed an industrial machine to try, but had problems getting it to work properly. For all the quirks my old machine has I'm use to it. The only upholstery type sewing work I've done is some sewing projects for our house and the 3 boats we have redone ie no training, just by trial and lots of error. We also watched sewing videos on youtube .

Felicia
                Pep & Felicia
                1991 3288 150 hino's

Comment

WOW! That is so cool, she looks like a million bucks. We used to own the same boat many years ago, for sure one of Bayliner's best 30 footers ever.

Comment

Oh...my...god.... VERY impressive work!

Comment

"ronlord" post=528476 wrote:
                      WOW! That is so cool, she looks like a million bucks. We used to own the same boat many years ago, for sure one of Bayliner's best 30 footers ever.

We are excited for this upcoming boat season. We have only been out on a sea trial with her, so very excited to actually spend some time on the boat in the water. Doing all this work on it has at least made the winter go by a little faster.

Felicia
                      Pep & Felicia
                      1991 3288 150 hino's

Comment

Can you elaborate on how you did the cabinetry

Comment

To start with you can't be scared of ripping everything out. We used the existing cabinetry for patterns except for the areas were we modified to our liking. We are cabinet builders by trade so it helps to have the tools and know how already. The difficult part is that boats aren't square so there is a lot of scribing and pattern making with paper or cardboard first, otherwise you end up wasting good wood. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to help. Pep
                          Pep & Felicia
                          1991 3288 150 hino's

Comment

Amazing transformation!!!
                            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                            1998 3055 Ciera
                            (yes, a 1998)
                            Previous boat: 1993 3055
                            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                            Sea Doo XP
                            Sea Doo GTI SE
                            Life is short. Boats are cool.
                            The family that plays together stays together.
                            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

What a fantastic project the Boat looks gorges.
                              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Working...
                              X