Cleaning the bilge-gctid362940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the bilge-gctid362940

I had the advantage of cleaning the bilge today without the engine in there. In Aug of '11 I spun my coupler and haven't had the spare $$ to do replace it since the engine needed to come out to do it. Well a couple weeks ago I had the engine removed to begin the process. I am due also to replace my manifolds and risers and will be adding the "dry joint" style while everything's apart. I am taking advantage of the engine gone to get my bilge in ship shape like I like it. Hot water and Simple Green are your friends. Oh yeah, don't forget 'L-Bo-Greez'.

AWESOME!!! Almost makes me want to pull my engines and clean

Comment

rimshot wrote:
      AWESOME!!! Almost makes me want to pull my engines and clean
      Thank you. I normally do it with the engine in and the same Simple Green and bad attitude to get the grease gone, but with a longer handle. It's worth it.

Comment

Looks great, Todd! Simple Green has been my best friend in the bilge. It actually worked better than the bilge cleaner from We$t Marine. One thing I found with Simple green is that when it is mixed with hot (not warm but HOT) water, it turns into Simple Green on steroids! I used a turkey fryer to heat up a few gallons of water, poured Simple Green in, and used a deck brush. In a matter of minutes, I was able to eat off my bilge floor.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
          Looks great, Todd! Simple Green has been my best friend in the bilge. It actually worked better than the bilge cleaner from We$t Marine. One thing I found with Simple green is that when it is mixed with hot (not warm but HOT) water, it turns into Simple Green on steroids! I used a turkey fryer to heat up a few gallons of water, poured Simple Green in, and used a deck brush. In a matter of minutes, I was able to eat off my bilge floor.
          Yes, HOT water is the key.

Comment

Todd...you want to do mine now? It is on my list of to do's but not sure when it will get done.
            Sean
            1987 3870
            Crimson Pride II
            Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
            MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Sunnydude wrote:
              Todd...you want to do mine now? It is on my list of to do's but not sure when it will get done.
              .hhhmmmmm?

Comment

Looks good, I need to do mine have some rust stains in the bilge from draining the manifolds a couple times over the winter between uses.

While engine is out it would be a good time to check for any screw holes to patch. First thing on my list if I ever end up with the engine out.

Comment

Todd,

looks great! I am in the process of doing mine now a section at a time.. I will try the simple Green and hot water trick, thanks for the tip..

Comment

FishingFool wrote:
                    Todd,

looks great! I am in the process of doing mine now a section at a time.. I will try the simple Green and hot water trick, thanks for the tip..
                    Good luck. Make sure it's very hot.

Comment

I've never tried hot water... another project to add to the home to-do list. Last year I added 2 valves so I could switch the hose on the house between softened water (washing things) and straight from the well (watering/etc.)... time to add one for hot!

I love Simple Green but I've gotten better results from Awesome degreaser, however the hot water may be the ticket. The Simple Green is much safer to dispose of.

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
                        I've never tried hot water... another project to add to the home to-do list. Last year I added 2 valves so I could switch the hose on the house between softened water (washing things) and straight from the well (watering/etc.)... time to add one for hot!

I love Simple Green but I've gotten better results from Awesome degreaser, however the hot water may be the ticket. The Simple Green is much safer to dispose of.
                        Yes there are more aggressive degreasers, but with Hot water it's safe and works great.

Comment

WD-40 is my all-purpose cleaner / degreaser. Any spills are cleaned quickly. Plus, it is a great hand cleaner.

Comment

Looks Great! I do not want to think about having my engine pulled. But at least you are taking advantage of the opportunity.
                            Gregg
                            2006 225 BR
                            XT Package
                            5.0 MPI
                            Alpha I Gen II
                            39.41130 N
                            76.35131W

Comment

Working...
                            X