Adding a Shore Power Utility Plug-gctid524127

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a Shore Power Utility Plug-gctid524127

So my little project begins. My boat does not have ANY Shore Power at this time, and as I leave it in the water I wanted a safer way of getting power into the boat for tools, charger, heater or whatever.

Thanks to SomeSailer at APlus Mobile Graphics & Design for making the custom panel.

The design was inspired by EZacdc Boat Wiring products, but I needed something less elaborate and less expensive.

I rounded the prices up to the next dollar for simplicity.

$20.00 Custom Panel

$15.00 20 AMP Breaker

$ 8.00 15 Amp GCFI outlet

$ 7.00 15ft green wire for safety/bonding run

$10.00 8ft 12/3 flat boat wire

$ 3.00 Red LED

$ 3.00 Green LED

$70.00 Shore Power Inlet (not pictured)** Price is approximate

**I actually found a shore power inlet at Pacific Marine Exchange for $30.00 but there are several models available in the $30-$80+ range depending on material and your needs.

Now Budgeting $136 for a utility outlet may seem like a bit much and you may be wondering if DIY is really saving anything.

Well, you be the judge.

[ul]

[li]A BlueSea panel that JUST has the Breaker and LED's, no outlet, nothing else, just a panel with a breaker and two LED's is about $100.00..[/li]

[li]The EZacdc Shore Power solution, while it does have a box and an outlet and comes with the inlet with a pre-wired harness starts at $285.00[/li]

[/ul]

Here are the parts not including the shore power inlet I left on the boat, and some screws.

[img size=600]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5542/11373889366_3262ce758d.jpg[/img]
    Aquatic Muse
    Mount Vernon, WA
    MMSI: 367498870
    '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive
Working...
X