Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fix Up of a Newly Purchased 1989 2655-gctid523455

Sorry this post is a little long winded:

In September this year, we purchased a 1989 model 2655 with a 2007 freshwater cooled 6.2L Mercruiser with 276 hours on the meter. The interior had been recently refurbished with new covers, carpets and soft furnishings. We had a pre-purchase mechanical inspection done which showed the compression as 180 or 185 psi in each cylinder. The report also recognised the fuel tank sender and both batteries required replacement and there was a hydraulic leak in the steering ram. We went ahead and made an offer based on this information and secured the deal at 3/4 of the asking price.

Prior to pick up we gave her a full service, replaced the fuel sender, both batteries, steering ram and power steering pump and got a stainless steel duckboard rail fitted. We then engaged a Marine Surveyor to provide a survey report primarily because this report was required to insure a boat of this age.The Marine Surveyor's report noted everything was operational except the anchor winch and the boat was in great condition.

We freighted the boat to a mariner near our home and this is where the fun started. After driving her home (about 10 Nm) I was suspicious a few things were not quite right with her so I booked her in at the mariner workshop and asked them to check everything and ensure everything was operational. Here is the list after all required work was completed:

- re-sealed leaking windscreen

- had a new bow sprit, winch pad and anchor locker built

- replaced the windlass

- replaced bilge blower, fresh water pump, forward bilge pump, float switch, trim pump bracket, tap/shower, speed sensor, pressure sender, wiper arm & blade, engine hatch struts

- repaired leaking trim hydraulic hose

- manufactured a holding tank brace (tank was just sitting there)

- repaired leaking hot water system hose connections

- full electrical check including replacement of fuse panel under dash and shore power AC circuits.

Now all that work soon brought the cost up to the original asking price but now I know I have a great reliable boat. Needless to say, I would not like to remark any further on the Marine Survey report which in the end was a waste of my good money.

Hey Ross You should have a good boat now. Have you had it out much since you got her back. We have been out the last 3 weekends. We love being on the water. Next week we board the Sea Princess for a Christmas cruise to Fiji. Back home for New Year on the water in our boat.
    David
    1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Hi David, We have been out twice since getting all the work done and we are very happy with it. Next job is to polish her up. We are getting her ready for the Pacific Harbour Christmas parade next Saturday night so looking forward to that. Have a great time on your cruise to Fiji.

Comment

"Rosdeb" post=523455 wrote:
        Sorry this post is a little long winded:

In September this year, we purchased a 1989 model 2655 with a 2007 freshwater cooled 6.2L Mercruiser with 276 hours on the meter. The interior had been recently refurbished with new covers, carpets and soft furnishings. We had a pre-purchase mechanical inspection done which showed the compression as 180 or 185 psi in each cylinder. The report also recognised the fuel tank sender and both batteries required replacement and there was a hydraulic leak in the steering ram. We went ahead and made an offer based on this information and secured the deal at 3/4 of the asking price.

Prior to pick up we gave her a full service, replaced the fuel sender, both batteries, steering ram and power steering pump and got a stainless steel duckboard rail fitted. We then engaged a Marine Surveyor to provide a survey report primarily because this report was required to insure a boat of this age.The Marine Surveyor's report noted everything was operational except the anchor winch and the boat was in great condition.

We freighted the boat to a mariner near our home and this is where the fun started. After driving her home (about 10 Nm) I was suspicious a few things were not quite right with her so I booked her in at the mariner workshop and asked them to check everything and ensure everything was operational. Here is the list after all required work was completed:

- re-sealed leaking windscreen

- had a new bow sprit, winch pad and anchor locker built

- replaced the windlass

- replaced bilge blower, fresh water pump, forward bilge pump, float switch, trim pump bracket, tap/shower, speed sensor, pressure sender, wiper arm & blade, engine hatch struts

- repaired leaking trim hydraulic hose

- manufactured a holding tank brace (tank was just sitting there)

- repaired leaking hot water system hose connections

- full electrical check including replacement of fuse panel under dash and shore power AC circuits.

Now all that work soon brought the cost up to the original asking price but now I know I have a great reliable boat. Needless to say, I would not like to remark any further on the Marine Survey report which in the end was a waste of my good money.
        I would love to see you create an article with pictures for BOC as I am sure many others would. It sounds like you did a lot of great work.

Comment

I'll take a few photos once I give her a polish. I have been pressure cleaning her belly trying to get most of the antifoul off as we moor her on an Air Berth dry dock at the back of our house but it just keeps coming off. Looks like many coats built up over the years will take some getting off.

Comment

"Rosdeb" post=524132 wrote:
            I'll take a few photos once I give her a polish. I have been pressure cleaning her belly trying to get most of the antifoul off as we moor her on an Air Berth dry dock at the back of our house but it just keeps coming off. Looks like many coats built up over the years will take some getting off.
            You might want to look at an air compressor and Walnut shells, they are bio friendly, hull and gelcoat friendly and cuts the time to about an hour to completely strip a hull down to the gel coat. The cost is very minimal and much better on your lungs than sanding

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I have been using my 3000 psi pressure cleaner. Keeps stripping off antifoul but I haven't seen white gelcoat yet except one area where the antifoul has flaked off. I will persevere.

Comment

Working...
              X