iPad install-gctid362230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPad install-gctid362230

So, I figured out a way to mount my iPad to my boat. I think it looks great, and it only cost $10.Here's what I did...I bought one of those hard snap on cases for the iPad on ebay ($7). It also came with a screen protector, and dust plugs for the headphone and multi-connector jacks. I then went to Home Depot and bought some heavy duty mounting tape ($3). I didnt want to make any permanent holes in the boat, so that's why I used the tape. Tape the case to the boat, and then I can simply snap the iPad in and out whenever I want to. The iPad smart cover also works with the hard cover, so I can still keep the cover on the ipad when not in use. I bought the navitronics app, which I am very pleased with so far, so I think this setup will work very nicely for me and is a nice compliment to my little garmin that will be sitting right next to it. Here's some pics...

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/665236=25542-IMG_20120318_100727.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/665236=25543-IMG_20120318_100757.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/665236=25544-IMG_20120318_101946.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/665236=25545-IMG_20120318_102047.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/665236=25546-IMG_20120318_143844.jpg[/img]
    2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
    Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
    Bravo II drives
    Closed-cooling

more pics...The last one is what it looks like with the iPad removed. The case will remain there.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/665237=25547-IMG_20120318_143923.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/665237=25548-IMG_20120318_143936.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/665237=25549-IMG_20120318_144246.jpg[/img]
    Bravo II drives
    Closed-cooling

Comment

Nice installation...very clean! Just curious...how is the glare situation?

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
        Me too!

And I think that it's pretty cool! I want to buy my wife a new iPad so I can take over the previous one.
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

cwiert wrote:
          So, I figured out a way to mount my iPad to my boat. I think it looks great, and it only cost $10.Here's what I did...I bought one of those hard snap on cases for the iPad on ebay ($7). It also came with a screen protector, and dust plugs for the headphone and multi-connector jacks. I then went to Home Depot and bought some heavy duty mounting tape ($3). I didnt want to make any permanent holes in the boat, so that's why I used the tape. Tape the case to the boat, and then I can simply snap the iPad in and out whenever I want to. The iPad smart cover also works with the hard cover, so I can still keep the cover on the ipad when not in use. I bought the navitronics app, which I am very pleased with so far, so I think this setup will work very nicely for me and is a nice compliment to my little garmin that will be sitting right next to it. Here's some pics...

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

When the sun heats up that area will the tape still hold

Comment

I posted a note about this a while ago, but the fellow who owns this business

http://padholdr.com/

Is from Pierce County and makes holders specific to all sorts of things, from various car models, to hospital beds. He'd certainly be a guy I'd talk to if you're in the market, although I don't have one myself. Owner's name is Jim Benham. Nice young man

toni

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
              over40pirate wrote:
              When the sun heats up that area will the tape still hold
              The glare is there, but not terrible. It's better when I'm standing in front of the wheel and with the top up, which it will be 100% of the time. The pictures make the glare seem worse than it really is.

As far as the tape holding, I guess time will tell. It is the heavy duty tape that is made for outdoor use...the strongest they had. they say one 4" strip is supposed to hold 5 pounds, and I've got 5 strips that are 9" long holding this thing. I don't think it's going anywhere.
              Bravo II drives
              Closed-cooling

Comment

cwiert wrote:
                The glare is there, but not terrible. It's better when I'm standing in front of the wheel and with the top up, which it will be 100% of the time. The pictures make the glare seem worse than it really is.

As far as the tape holding, I guess time will tell. It is the heavy duty tape that is made for outdoor use...the strongest they had. they say one 4" strip is supposed to hold 5 pounds, and I've got 5 strips that are 9" long holding this thing. I don't think it's going anywhere.
                I'm pretty sure the holding strength rating for the tape is based on it being in a certain temperature range. It might be a good idea to check the specs to see if sun induced temperatures (which can easily exceed 200 degrees). I kind of found out the hard way with my old boat -- as my super strength premium velcro (supposedly heat resistant) failed to hold up the stick-on lights. You might want to check and verify how the adhesive holds up under higher temps.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                  I'm pretty sure the holding strength rating for the tape is based on it being in a certain temperature range. It might be a good idea to check the specs to see if sun induced temperatures (which can easily exceed 200 degrees). I kind of found out the hard way with my old boat -- as my super strength premium velcro (supposedly heat resistant) failed to hold up the stick-on lights. You might want to check and verify how the adhesive holds up under higher temps.
                  You're probably right about the rating strength. But I keep the bimini top up all the time and it will rarely see direct sunlight. It does get super hot in the cockpit when I have all the glass down and zipped up when I am away from the boat, but the iPad will be with me when I'm away from the boat. So the case won't be holding any weight. I'll just have to see how it goes. I'll be sure to post updates in a few months and let you all know how it worked out in case anyone else wants to try the same thing. My guess is it will be fine, but only time will tell for sure.

John
                  Bravo II drives
                  Closed-cooling

Comment

Working...
                  X