Clear All

• Vic_Stewart
    replied
    Looks very good.....Bravo Zulu

Vic

Leave a comment:

• higgins_jr
    replied
    Vic, I've attached another pic of the re-engineered hand rails.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• higgins_jr
    replied
    Vic, yes, I guess it would be a trap as it is.

I mentioned that I had to remove the top hand/rails and re-engineer them a tad so the hatch would open completely. The existing hand rails at the bottom would only allow it to open a few inches and the photos were taken without the grab hand rails being reinstalled. I'll get to that on the weekend - getting new screws in the meantime. I'll post a new photo shortly.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Vic_Stewart
    replied
    Looks great. But, comma, I do have a question. What are you going to grab on to when going up or down the ladder? You might very well train yourself and crew not to grab the hatch, but a visitor might very well grab the hatch and down she goes.

Just an observation

Leave a comment:

• higgins_jr
    replied
    Pat, I sent you a PM with details. Let me know if you have any joy with Taylormade. They didn't reply to my email a few months back.

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 518-773-0636

Jerome, the dog catches have a push locking device on them, which would preclude them from being opened from the top, but to be honest, given the open nature of the cockpit, security wasn't high on my spec sheet. I believe other locking catches are available if required.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• cosmo777
    replied
    John,

You said TaylorMade had them in the US, but I've not been able to find anything.

Do you have any info, links, part numbers, etc that might get to me to something similar to what you have?

Leave a comment:

• completelymobile
    replied
    Looks like another members 1994 4788 from a few years ago ... I think it was Ken in Australia? Very nice looking improvement.

Leave a comment:

• vinomaker
    replied
    Hey John,

It really looks great, waterproof and strong. Very nice job!

Is there a lock?

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Thanks,

I had a slider made during our refit and it works great. The hatch idea actually looks better than the slider setup.

Leave a comment:

• higgins_jr
    replied
    Pat, the hatch (underside) drop in "L" rim size is approx 37 3/4" X 23 3/4". That leaves about 1/10" on the width either side and about +/- 1/8" on the long ends which fills nicely with some white silicon. The "L" shape base rim of the hatch sits on the existing opening "ridge" and the top covers the base rim as if it was a factory fitted original.

Kevin, the tinted clear perspex is 1/2" thick and with the cross member, there would be no issue standing on it.

I did need to have the top ladder hand rails "reshaped" a tad to allow the hatch to open properly.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Very nice!

Is it strong enough to stand on?

Leave a comment:

• cosmo777
    replied
    Looks great John.

What size did the hatch need to be?

Leave a comment:

• higgins_jr
    started a topic 4788 Cockpit Ladder Custom Hatch-gctid511071

4788 Cockpit Ladder Custom Hatch-gctid511071

Hi folks! Just completed/fitted a custom hatch. Taylormade also make them in the US but they no longer manufacture in Oz. I had mine made by Cule Hatches in New Zealand. Nice job, and looks great.

Cheers

Working...
X