Keel guard install-gctid504811

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keel guard install-gctid504811

While my truck is in the shop till Weds next week getting new 4x4 front hubs, I decided to install the keel guard I had laying around the garage...Its not that I ground the boat on beaches, its that I have a bad habit of hitting metal on the trailer as I recovery the boat and end up chipping the keel near the bow. This was especially easy to do with the roller trailers. I seem to attract metal between the rollers and even though I tie wrap pipe foam, I sometimes get a chip or scratch. Having a bunk trailer has minimized that but I still have metal fenders that could be in the way on a bad recovery.Since it is above the recommended 70* today for the installation, I installed a 7 ft strip of Keel guard after filling in chips, sanding and priming the keel. End result is fine and hopefully will not make me cringe anymore when I or the Admiral recover the boat during cross winds at the ramp in the future...

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/809374=40954-IMG_1416.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/809374=40955-IMG_1417.jpg[/img]
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Lookin' good Doug. Time Out came with Keel Guard. The extra protection is a plus.

Comment

Looks good Doug , do you buy that by the foot . and how about colors ? thanks in advance , Joe

Comment

How does it stick on and what is the preparation please?

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

"2150 Capri" post=521328 wrote:
          Looks good Doug , do you buy that by the foot . and how about colors ? thanks in advance , Joe
          I got it off EBay for a great price... You can buy certain lengths... The one I bought this time was the 7 foot length. Even though I am not going to beach the boat, the keel guard will protect the keel from hitting any metal on the trailer if I get swung away from center with wind and/or current...

Endless Seas wrote:

Thanks,

Tom
          There are two primary manufacturers of this stuff and they look and work the same way. All that is needed is to scuff the keel about 3-4" each side along the keel, wipe with the 3M liquid provided in the blister pack with the keel guard and apply starting at the bow and working back. There is a peel off that exposes the 3M glue that sticks to the scuffed hull. Once it is on, it is not coming off... ever...

You need at least 70* warmth to get the stuff to bond to the hull. Also, the keel guard is rolled up and it needs to be unrolled and warm of the sun will lay it out flat... Takes maybe an hour to scuff, wipe down the keel, apply the bonding liquid and press the keel guard in place... there is no drying time and you can dunk the boat immediately afterward...
          Doug ;}
          "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I put it on a boat we beach often and it made the world of difference. Thinking about doing the big one as we beach that too. Easy to put on and sticks no problem. I don't know how you would get it off to be hones.

Comment

"Go Aweigh2452" post=521350 wrote:
              "2150 Capri" post=521328 wrote:
              I got it off EBay for a great price... You can buy certain lengths... The one I bought this time was the 7 foot length. Even though I am not going to beach the boat, the keel guard will protect the keel from hitting any metal on the trailer if I get swung away from center with wind and/or current...

Endless Seas wrote:

Thanks,

Tom
              There are two primary manufacturers of this stuff and they look and work the same way. All that is needed is to scuff the keel about 3-4" each side along the keel, wipe with the 3M liquid provided in the blister pack with the keel guard and apply starting at the bow and working back. There is a peel off that exposes the 3M glue that sticks to the scuffed hull. Once it is on, it is not coming off... ever...

You need at least 70* warmth to get the stuff to bond to the hull. Also, the keel guard is rolled up and it needs to be unrolled and warm of the sun will lay it out flat... Takes maybe an hour to scuff, wipe down the keel, apply the bonding liquid and press the keel guard in place... there is no drying time and you can dunk the boat immediately afterward...
              Yes and DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT if it's less than 70 degrees out!! It's just too hard to work with.

Also, there is an issue that is known where you have steep chines. Doesn't look like it will be an issue on this boat, but it was on mine. About a year after install, and sitting in the water, the guard around the chines pulled from it's glue. Yes you read that correctly, the GLUE was still ATTACHED SOLID to the hull, the Keel Guard peeled from the glue. It was only about about 1.5" in each side, right at the chine in two spots. The folks at Keel Guard recommended a special 3M glue and to put a slice into the guard that will allow me to push it back into place without buckling. It was easy to do, and has been fine ever since. As I have the white guard as well, the glue is invisible too. Overall, I really like this product. I had the same dings from the trailer, but also concerned if I want or need to beach for safe haven, and also with all the crab pots and branches and everything else out there, it just seemed prudent.
              Aquatic Muse
              Mount Vernon, WA
              MMSI: 367498870
              '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Comment

Good point on the chines. One could use a hair dryer to get more flexibility out of the keel guard at the chine and use the tool that comes with it to press it hard against the chine. On the 2452 there are two sets of chines to worry about but they are not too pronounced. even with the separation at the chine, the keep guard will still hold well. It will just look like crap...
                Doug ;}

sigpic

Comment

I love my keel guard. It was an easy install.......That adhesive is bad azz
                  Jay Myers
                  Raystown Lake Huntingdon PA
                  2013 170 115fs
                  2011 Jeep Compass

Comment

"Go Aweigh2452" post=521394 wrote:
                    Good point on the chines. One could use a hair dryer to get more flexibility out of the keel guard at the chine and use the tool that comes with it to press it hard against the chine. On the 2452 there are two sets of chines to worry about but they are not too pronounced. even with the separation at the chine, the keep guard will still hold well. It will just look like crap...
                    There are are also two sets on mine, but they are more pronounced.. In any case, the "issue" if it happens at all, won't rear it's head for quite awhile, if at all... and it's a simple fix if it does. The glue is amazing and the fact that the occasional issue is actually the glue releasing from the keel guard, not the hull was interesting.

I have seen people bottom paint over the keel guard, but it is recommended to just paint up to it. That is actually pretty easy to do, just an added step.
                    Aquatic Muse
                    Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

They also claim it helps with the dreaded wander
                      Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I've had mine installed for 11 years. I don't beach as much, but it doesn't show its age.

I ran a bead of 3M 5200 around the edges when I installed it, just in case.
                        1998 Capri 1950CL
                        3 Liter MerCruiser
                        Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
                        2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

"wgander" post=522342 wrote:
                          I've had mine installed for 11 years. I don't beach as much, but it doesn't show its age.

I ran a bead of 3M 5200 around the edges when I installed it, just in case.
                          Sounds like a plan... after all, the keel guard is suppose to permanent anyway....
                          Doug ;}

sigpic

Comment

I can't find the email, and it may have been I just called them, but I don't think they recommended 5200 and they had a reason.

I believe they recommended X-10 epoxy, but I'm not 100% on that. I suggest calling them and letting us know what they say. I may have posted about it on here when I did mine last year so I'll try to find that, but they were easy enough to call and ask.
                            Aquatic Muse
                            Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

I should have never looked at this! Now I have another Project. Since we got our new pup we nose up to rocks so she can det off and do her business. That is hard on the gel coat.

Comment

Working...
                              X