96 2655 project has started!-gctid360007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 2655 project has started!-gctid360007

After much thought about selling my 2655 and buying a larger boat I decided to just keep mine and put some money into it and get most of the features I want. My father dropped my boat off this Friday to have the work started. Since im still in Afghanistan I cant do the work work myself, im having it done. I was quoted a very fair price for all the work listed below. My motor wasn't winterized properly by the last owner and the water jacket had 2 cracks in it, I would have water in my bilge and didn't figure out what the issue was until 6 moths after I bought the boat. So im getting a new long block. Going to keep the old motor and see if I can get the block fixed and keep it as a spare. I just bought a used Kohler 4K genset and that is getting installed as well. A mermaid 9K BTU A/C is also on the list. New carpet, and interior upholstery. Since my boat is paid off why get into debt over a larger boat when I can make this one just as nice for not too much? He will be sending me some pictures of the work as he goes along should get the first set of pictures tomorrow and will post them. He said its going to take 3-4 weeks to complete. Cant wait till I get to use my boat again. Also looking for some input from all of you on the pattern I should use for the interior. I'm getting rid of the late 90's flower pattern on my upholstery. Once im back home I plan on some new counter tops as well. This isn't a completed project yet, but wanted to share the progress with all of you as it goes along. After all this work think my boat will like new, I cant wait.

Work being done:

New Long block

Carb rebuild on motor and genset

Kohler 4K

Mermaid 9K A/C

3 new Batteries

Outdrive Serviced

Bilge cleaned and rewired

New Carpet

Re-cover interior seats

Battery charger

Bilge heater

Pics of work coming in the next day or two!

That's a nice list of work - looking forward to see the pics!! And thanks for your service :worth

Comment

Be very careful andf thank you for your service!

Comment

A little longer than I thought, but the motor comes out tomorrow, and will be getting pictures on here ASAP.

Comment

Here are a few pics of the genset. Looks like the boat guy wont be pulling the motor till Monday, another boat he is working on is taking longer than he though.

My boat at the guys shop, had my dad put the boot on it, guess its harder to steal.

Comment

I like the duty guard! Good loooking boat!

Comment

Speakrdude wrote:
              I like the duty guard! Good loooking boat!
              Thanks! the work is about to start!

Comment

He has started on the interior. He told me the seats are complicated to recover. Here is the new color im using inside, I like it a lot, what do you think about the pattern? The boat is too tall to fit in his shop so he has to work on it outside, they are about to pull the motor here soon.

Old pattern

New pattern

Comment

Looks good! My list is so long, there's no room for new upholstery. It's in great shape though...
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "GetAway"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

erichz71 wrote:
                    Here are a few pics of the genset. Looks like the boat guy wont be pulling the motor till Monday, another boat he is working on is taking longer than he though.

My boat at the guys shop, had my dad put the boot on it, guess its harder to steal.

That is the same genset we had on our 1998 2655. Don't know what you are thinking about on placement, but on ours we moved the holding tank back almost to the transom and put the genset in front of it.

Be sure to check the zinc anode about every 3 months. We had an issue with ours when a piece of it came off and ended up in the outlet of the heat exchanger. Blind luck let me get it out of there. The exchangers are hard to come by.

What you are doing makes me miss ours

Comment

First, heart felt thanks to you for service to our country and welcome to the world of boating projects. The repair list seems endless but the feeling of a completed task is exhilerating. Best of luck to you!

Comment

gulfcoasters wrote:
                        That is the same genset we had on our 1998 2655. Don't know what you are thinking about on placement, but on ours we moved the holding tank back almost to the transom and put the genset in front of it.

Be sure to check the zinc anode about every 3 months. We had an issue with ours when a piece of it came off and ended up in the outlet of the heat exchanger. Blind luck let me get it out of there. The exchangers are hard to come by.

What you are doing makes me miss ours
                        I should be getting pictures daily from now on. My boat doesn't have a water heater anymore and that side is total empty, thought that would be a good spot for it. And then use three batteries on the other side to try and counter the added weight. May have to add more weight not sure. But the generator isnt very heavy. The guy has to modify his cherry picker to use on my boat, he is used to smaller boats, so the motor comes out here soon. Since you had the same boat what advice do you have? The list of work to be done is in the first post. What you think about the new color pattern for the cabin?

Comment

Here are some pictures of when we had to repower in 2006---long story---almost the "3 Hour Cruise" in the middle of Penacola Bay--The first pic is the starbard side looking aft and I am standing where the genset was placed. The holding tank is aft of where the genset was placed. The next three are of the old engine before it was pulled and you can see the fit of the genset to the engine and holding tank. The last one is the port side with the batteries and hot water tank. Be sure to add a 110 battery charger.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/668276=25820-IMG_5219.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/668276=25817-IMG_5214.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/668276=25818-IMG_5215.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/668276=25819-IMG_5216.jpg[/img]Fabric looks great. What they came with was a bit drab and showed dirt too easily. Scotch Guard the hound out of it.The factory installed AC goes in the dead space under the head and the only place to access it is in the cave through the return air vent. Always thought there has to be a better place for it than that.I'll send on some of the little things we did.God speed for a safe return home. Our oldest son was at Bagram in 2005 with VMAQ3...

Comment

Well looks like we have almost the same project lol congrats on the boat and project.

Post a lot of pics so I can steal a few ideas lol

Take it easy

Comment

gulfcoasters wrote:
                              Here are some pictures of when we had to repower in 2006---long story---almost the "3 Hour Cruise" in the middle of Penacola Bay--The first pic is the starbard side looking aft and I am standing where the genset was placed. The holding tank is aft of where the genset was placed. The next three are of the old engine before it was pulled and you can see the fit of the genset to the engine and holding tank. The last one is the port side with the batteries and hot water tank. Be sure to add a 110 battery charger.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]Fabric looks great. What they came with was a bit drab and showed dirt too easily. Scotch Guard the hound out of it.The factory installed AC goes in the dead space under the head and the only place to access it is in the cave through the return air vent. Always thought there has to be a better place for it than that.I'll send on some of the little things we did.God speed for a safe return home. Our oldest son was at Bagram in 2005 with VMAQ3...
                              The old fabric is in good shape but the colors bother me. My carpet is pretty worn out too. I will find out what the plan is on the genset here soon. I think my gray water tank is bigger than the one you had in your boat, mine just looks bigger. From what I remember. Did your boat lean to one side after the genset install? Thats what im most worried about.

Comment

Working...
                              X