Coolant in Hull-gctid468886

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant in Hull-gctid468886

I just picked my boat up from storage and towed it home. When I pulled the covers and went to put the battries in I noticed a large amount of coolant in the bottom of the boat. Before I parked it I had taken it in and had it winterized at a shop and cleaned it top to bottom. The hull was empty no water, coolant, oil ect.

I called the shop that did the winterization and they said it is normal from towing it works its way out inside the boat. I asked where it would come from and the response was " it would work its way out from all over".

Does anyone have any experiene with this type of thing.

Thanks

Lucky_twin wrote:
    I just picked my boat up from storage and towed it home. When I pulled the covers and went to put the battries in I noticed a large amount of coolant in the bottom of the boat. Before I parked it I had taken it in and had it winterized at a shop and cleaned it top to bottom. The hull was empty no water, coolant, oil ect.

I called the shop that did the winterization and they said it is normal from towing it works its way out inside the boat. I asked where it would come from and the response was " it would work its way out from all over".

Does anyone have any experiene with this type of thing.

Thanks
    Closed cooling?

If it wasn't completely drained after the winterizing process, there are 4 holes or the large hose from the bottom of the water pump that is usually disconnected.

Some fluid can be left in the block and find it's way out when moving her. I used to have some -100 left in the bilge after moving the boat home, but not much.

Comment

Ya sorry I should have specified it is a 3.0 in board open system

Comment

Maybe they poured some anti-freeze in the block and manifold left the drains open.

Close up the drains put water to the drive and start her up look for leaks around the block and manifold.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I had the same thing happen the other day with my 19' Renken. Started the motor for the first time to check everything out and after I shut it off, after about 10-15 minutes the bilge pump was pumping water and it was draining out the back. The man I bought it from said there must have been some water in the bow or somewhere and when we moved it and started it, it found the bilge area. The water was cold also which leads me to believe he's right. Just thought I'd share it with you.

Comment

Lucky_twin wrote:
            Ya sorry I should have specified it is a 3.0 in board open system
            Chief Alen wrote:
            • 1 wrote:
            • Maybe they poured some anti-freeze in the block and manifold left the drains open.
            • Close up the drains put water to the drive and start her up look for leaks around the block and manifold.

Fist I have a question!

Was this the pink RV type anti-freeze, or the cooling system Ethylene Glycol anti-freeze that you were seeing?
            • 1 wrote:
            • If this shop is using the "antifreeze up through the drive" method, you'd better dang well make sure that they are completely draining this again afterwards! We've discussed this method many times here. Be careful, if that's what they're doing.

Or..... make sure that this shop has been in business for years, is fully insured, and that you walk away with a receipt that defines the work scope.
            • Ditto!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It was the pink type of antifreeze. I've decided that my plan is to tow the boat back to them to un-winterize that way if there are any leaks they will be responsible for it as I have not touched anything.

Comment

Lucky_twin wrote:
                It was the pink type of antifreeze. I've decided that my plan is to tow the boat back to them to un-winterize that way if there are any leaks they will be responsible for it as I have not touched anything.
                Good move.

While at it, and for your own peace of mind....... ask them to explain their winterizing procedure to you.

If you're not comfortable in asking....., tell them that your insurance company needs this information.

I'd ask how the fuel is stabilized, if they oil enrich the fuel in the filter cartridge (prior to the last running), if they "fog" the cylinders, how the pink antifreeze is introduced into the engine/exhaust, and if they drain this again afterwards!

I'd also ask if they install a new sea water pump impeller at this time (this should be done during re-commissioning..... not during lay-up).

Do this, and you'll be better informed as to how thorough they are, and as to how fair their price is for this work.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X