accessing live well pumps on walkaround cuddy-gctid464292

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accessing live well pumps on walkaround cuddy-gctid464292

Hello all. I have a 97 23' Trophy walkaround cuddy. I love the boat but have a couple things I need to fix. One thing is the live well pumps. They fill up with rain and debris and it's difficult to them clean and empty. Neither works and I have checked the switches. I have also tried to access what little wiring I could get to. Basically, it looks like I would have to somehow stand on my head in the access areas of the transom or somehow, if I am lucky, access them through the round removeable panel that allows me to get to the fuel tank. Then, even IF I were able to get to them, I'm not sure what I am doing to remove them. While I like to do my own work, I like to have a pretty decent idea of what I am supposed to be looking for before proceeding.

Can anyone lend some advice or point me to a link?

Thank you.

Long story short...they built the boat around this pump.

Vic

Ft Myers
    Vic Stewart SN
    Past Commander
    Cape Fear Power Squadron
    Ft Myers Power Squadron
    1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
    Raw water cooled

Comment

Vic Stewart wrote:
      Long story short...they built the boat around this pump.

Vic

Ft Myers
      I was afraid someone was going to say that. This is worse than trying to r&r the heater core in my Corvette.

Comment

I'm not sure if you're referring to the live bait well or the fish storage lockers. If it's the latter, I believe that by removing the scuppers, and the attached drain hoses, you should be able to access the pumps. Tight, but possible.

The switches for these two pumps should be the top switches on either side of your dash. It might be worthwhile popping off the dash and ensuring that you've got power to both pumps. Strange that they'd both go out. On my 2052 the fuses are also behind the dash. A real PITA, but this just may be your problem. I try that before trying to access the pumps.
        Bob Hawes.
        Kelowna, B.C.
        1998 Trophy 2052 WA
        4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

bhawes wrote:
          I'm not sure if you're referring to the live bait well or the fish storage lockers. If it's the latter, I believe that by removing the scuppers, and the attached drain hoses, you should be able to access the pumps. Tight, but possible.

The switches for these two pumps should be the top switches on either side of your dash. It might be worthwhile popping off the dash and ensuring that you've got power to both pumps. Strange that they'd both go out. On my 2052 the fuses are also behind the dash. A real PITA, but this just may be your problem. I try that before trying to access the pumps.
          It is the storage lockers. I bought the boat used from someone more knowledgeable than I. But he said they both went up. He used a bilge pump that he modified and made portable by connecting a hose and an alligator clip to the power wires and clipped it to the battery terminals so he could pump out each well. That works "okay" but it's still a pain. I don't think I can get to the pumps by removing the scuppers and I'm not sure if the extra work is worth it to try and r&r the pumps.

I saw another post where someone actually cut holes the wells to access the pumps and then used a replaceable cover to fill the hole. Maybe similar to the cover over top of the fuel tank? The thought of cutting up the well scares me, too.

Comment

I would hesitate cutting access holes in the storage lockers. If, and when, they fill up with water, and they will if you take on water, or during winter storage (if you're not totally covered), that water will drain into your bilge. You do not want it there. Take a flashlight and look down into the area behind the locker, and you should see the pump. You'll have to remove the batteries to see them (I added a second battery on the starboard side). Did you check to make sure that there's power to the switches? Unless they were ran dry for a long period, it's unusual for them both to fail.
            Bob Hawes.
            Kelowna, B.C.
            1998 Trophy 2052 WA
            4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Working...
            X