Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailering 2007 Bayliner 175, motor up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailering 2007 Bayliner 175, motor up or down?

Hi
    New member here with a new for me 2007 Bayliner 175 Alpha 1 stern drive 3.0, in really good shape. Am going to tow for storage and a quick question. Can boat be trailered with the trim in any position? (i understand up will limit hitting objects). How about when parked for the winter storage, should it be down for the year?

thanks

Up in trailer position while trailering to limit potential contact then as far down as possible during storage.
    The down position offers less stress on the bellows during long term storage.
    Welcome to the club.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Yup... all the way up... and I do mean ALLL the way up. You'll drive it in down position once!

I usually put a 2x4 under the out drive and then lowered the front end of the boat as low as I could while maintaining the proper down angle on the cover for rain... and then lowered the outdrive onto the 2x4 until it was almost touching it... then I would manually lift the trailer tongue up until the outdrive was on the 2x4... never had to replace the bellows in 11 years I had the boat.
      Ships n Giggles
      1993 Bayliner 4388
      MMSI# 367412710
      Day Island Yacht Club
      Commodore

Comment

• Skybird
        Skybird commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like a trailering forum, so I will ask a question that is somewhat related. I took my 2017 VR5 with 115hp Merc to the river yesterday. When I pulled it out of the water it came right up on the bunks (no rollers) pretty easily. I cranked it all the way to the rubber bow roller so that it was right up against the bow. But after a 68 mile trip home, I noticed that the bow was now a few inches back from the rubber bow roller. I don't think it is a good idea to trailer with the boat not firmly against the roller. I tried to crank it on the trailer to pull it closer, but it did not budge. I don't know when I will be in the water again. I think there is a space there to squeeze in some sort of rubber bumper so the the roller and the bow are at least touching. Any suggestions? I don't think there is any way to lift the boat to allow me to crank it while on the trailer. This never happened before. The crank seems to be okay. Maybe the strap just stretched a bit?

• Shipsngiggles
        Shipsngiggles commented
        Editing a comment
        Skybird did you secure the back of the boat with transom straps? If not, that is a must!
    Working...
    X