Feedback Needed - Looking at a VR4 115 XP OB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback Needed - Looking at a VR4 115 XP OB

Hello - Looking for some advise on owners of the VR4 OB. I have been a long time Bayliner fan and I am looking to make my first new boat purchase in a long time. The boat I am looking at is a 2022 VR4 115 XP Pro. It looks like a great model for someone who is looking to cruise on a budget and have flexibility for doing multiple things. I am looking for feedback from any owners of the OB, and did anyone have any annoyance / concerns with the boat?

When I looked at the boat there were two areas that might cause some minor annoyance which is:
    1) The driver's foot well looks to be a bit small for someone 6'2". Is it uncomfortable drive or perfectly fine?
    2) The rear seat looks a bit longer than a standard bench depth, is this an annoyance for anyone sitting in the middle back bench when cruising?

Thanks everyone for your help and feel free to post any positive feedback on this specific boat.

You would really need to do an inspection of the boat for your concerns, all mine where cleared up upon viewing a VR4. We Bought one and is being built next week.
    2003 Bayliner 1952 cuddy

Comment

• TP VR4
      TP VR4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your response, we are taking a look at it this weekend to see the options on the boat. What boat/options did you go with and would recommend?

I don't know all the nooks and crannies of a VR4.....I have a VR5.

These are options I consider as the minimum for practicality over the long run...like 5 or 10 or 12 years of ownership.

My boat has some others but they were family preferences based upon how we use our boat.

Here is the minimum----
    -snap in floor covering
    -s/s package
    -bimini top
    -cockpit/bow covers
    -side wings on windshield (personal preference and looks more tradtional)
    -auto bilge pump
    -depth finder
    -galvanized trailer

These options will help you enjoy the boat and keep it protected from the elements.

You can only custom order a boat once.

My boat has more options than I listed above and I can expand the list for you, but the above options I feel are really important.

If you want to know why, speak up about one and I will provide some reasoning for it.

Also------- tell us where you will be boating.......... and your trailering/mooring/off season storage situation...........and what kind of activities you will do with the boat.
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

My goal for the boat is mainly trailering. We wanted a boat that was practical, easy to pull to different lakes (using a jeep grand cherokee) and big enough to accommodate an an additional family of 3 (we are a family of 4) on the very rare occasion. But our goal is to just explore, go boating around the waters around us and enjoy a day on the water. We are located in southern ontario, so our main waters would be the trent severn, 1000 islands and the muskoka lakes. I think the VR4 is too small for big waters like lake ontario or lake erie.

Thanks for your option list, the options i picked on the boat is:
      Mercury 115 HP Pro XS XL Outboard 115HP
      500 GPH Bilge Pump (Automatic)
      Windshield w/ Opening Center Panel & Side Wings
      Stainless Package
      Ski Tow Pylon
      Cockpit Flooring
      Bimini, 6' Top w/ Boot
      SnapOn Bow Well & Cockpit Cover
      Bow Speakers (2x) - just because it gets some extra sound in the front
      Digital Depth Indicator
      Swim Platform Mat (Gray)
      I stuck with the standard trailer because we are not using it in salt water.

Comment

Originally posted by TP VR4 View Post
        My goal for the boat is mainly trailering. We wanted a boat that was practical, easy to pull to different lakes (using a jeep grand cherokee) and big enough to accommodate an an additional family of 3 (we are a family of 4) on the very rare occasion. But our goal is to just explore, go boating around the waters around us and enjoy a day on the water. We are located in southern ontario, so our main waters would be the trent severn, 1000 islands and the muskoka lakes. I think the VR4 is too small for big waters like lake ontario or lake erie.

Thanks for your option list, the options i picked on the boat is:
        Mercury 115 HP Pro XS XL Outboard 115HP
        500 GPH Bilge Pump (Automatic)
        Windshield w/ Opening Center Panel & Side Wings
        Stainless Package
        Ski Tow Pylon
        Cockpit Flooring
        Bimini, 6' Top w/ Boot
        SnapOn Bow Well & Cockpit Cover
        Bow Speakers (2x) - just because it gets some extra sound in the front
        Digital Depth Indicator
        Swim Platform Mat (Gray)
        I stuck with the standard trailer because we are not using it in salt water.
        Regarding the trailer.....I am sorry the galvanized trailer is now an extra cost option.......it used to be an option at no additional cost.

Even though you may not dip it in salt water, it is possible some future buyer might........ and want the galvanized one.

Also be aware that each rock chip in the paint will lead to rust that then will have a rust trail that will run straight down. The galvanized coating is very resistant to damage by rock chips.

I also do not know if the inside of the painted trailer tubing is coated or just raw metal.......a galvanized tube has the coating inside and out.

I also got the extra speakers because I did not want to regret skipping it..............and then having to cut my own holes in the gelcoat/fiberglass.

I am glad you have a lot of boating locations to choose from.

One more thought--- be sure to buy a spare trailer tire and mount so you will always have a spare.

I hope your boat is built quickly and you can use it during your next boating season.
        Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
        Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

the options we got are,
          Blue/ white sides
          graffic package
          115 hp pro xs
          chestnut interior
          stainless upgrade
          Xtreme tower with bimini
          bow and cockpit covers
          teak mat in cockpit and swim platform
          bow filler
          windshield side wings and opening center
          bow speakers
          7" Simrad
          interior lighting
          Exterior lighting
          auto bilge pump
          galv trailer
          2003 Bayliner 1952 cuddy

Comment

• TP VR4
            TP VR4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Quick question for you, how do you find using the boat with the cutout for the feet on the driver's seat?

Does anyone know which plant makes the VR4?
          2003 Bayliner 1952 cuddy

Comment

Thanks everyone for your feedback, went to the dealer yesterday and checked out the boat.

The foot cut out is actually not that bad at all. I preferred the full opening like the VR4 inboard but the outboard version is works well. I am 6'2" and aslong as I pull the seat back then I fit comfortably. The back bench depth is also not a problem, while it is deeper than typical, it creates a nice large area to sit comfortably.

Any recommendations on gps or is the navionics app perfectly fine?

Also, any recommendations for trailer security?

Comment

Originally posted by TP VR4 View Post
              Any recommendations on gps or is the navionics app perfectly fine?

Also, any recommendations for trailer security?
              As for GPS v Navionics....kind of depends on where you are boating and why type of boating you plan to do. I prefer my Garmin 8612 to any phone app, but that is on our 24 footer that we take out to the middle of the chesapeake and don't want to rely upon a cell signal, phone battery, or tiny screen. For our Bayliner E18 on the other hand we have a small lowrance Hook Fishfinder and rarely use Navionics or a GPS because we are always close in. I also have an old Garmin Foretrex wrist GPS with a few waypoints programmed in, but haven't used it on the boat in years.

As for trailer security, that again depends on your local situation. If you keep the boat in South Florida, you need two Dobermans and two armed guards to protect your boat. Anything short of that, no matter where you are, is just a deterrent. If a professional thief wants your boat and trailer, they are gonna get it. I use a simple coupler lock. If someone wants to come with new coupler and unbolt and replace the locked coupler, good for them. I will call my insurance company. 95% of thieves are opportunists, and a coupler lock will be enough trouble to have them look elsewhere. There are also various ways to immobilize your trailer, boot your wheels, motion sensors, etc....but some of these things are more trouble to use than they are worth.

That's my $0.02, anyway.....

Comment

On my VR5 I have installed a Humminbird Helix GPS with Navionics and I also run their App on my phone. On a recent long trip (long for me) I found myself using BOTH as the App provided fuel info/calculation the Helix didn't. But for my everyday use I just use my Helix as this is also used for fishing. The App can't help me with that.

Comment

Does anyone have a pic of the tables that comes as an option on the VR4 ?
                  2003 Bayliner 1952 cuddy

Comment

Working...
                  X