2021 Bayliner VR5 Weight and Towing Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Bayliner VR5 Weight and Towing Concerns

Hey guys. I currently have a 2019 RAM 1500. Tow capacity 9,000 lbs. Payload 1,200 lbs. We typically carry with us 200 lbs worth of equipment/belongings. We ourselves weigh 420. Payload is always the limiting factor, but I feel these numbers are OK.

However, we are seriously considering a 2022 Kia Telluride as our next vehicle to take with us for vacations with the boat. Tow capacity is 5,000 lbs. Payload close to 1,200 lbs.

One question I figured the dealer could answer for me, they could not. How heavy is the VR5 (equipped with 250 horsepower) plus the galvanized tandem trailer? Does anyone have a similar setup and know their exact weights? Thank you in advance!

I just need to know if the Telluride is a viable option for us.

Originally posted by thabiiighomie View Post
    Hey guys. I currently have a 2019 RAM 1500. Tow capacity 9,000 lbs. Payload 1,200 lbs. We typically carry with us 200 lbs worth of equipment/belongings. We ourselves weigh 420. Payload is always the limiting factor, but I feel these numbers are OK.

However, we are seriously considering a 2022 Kia Telluride as our next vehicle to take with us for vacations with the boat. Tow capacity is 5,000 lbs. Payload close to 1,200 lbs.

One question I figured the dealer could answer for me, they could not. How heavy is the VR5 (equipped with 250 horsepower) plus the galvanized tandem trailer? Does anyone have a similar setup and know their exact weights? Thank you in advance!

I just need to know if the Telluride is a viable option for us.
    The website says the boat and trailer are 4095 lbs.......I would assume that is for a single axle trailer...and no gas and no gear stashed inside.

You have to add a couple of hundred pounds for the extra axle/wheel/tire assembly on a tandem trailer.

Do you have to get a tandem trailer?

I am perfectly content with my single axle trailer.
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

I already placed my order a few months ago. I thought better safe than sorry with the tandem.

Comment

• Centerline2
        Centerline2 commented
        Editing a comment
        regardless of the tow vehicle, a tandem tows better.

I dont see a problem if the engine is powerful enough... but i would say that if you are towing long distances (over 300miles) very often, a larger tow vehicle would be more comfortable to tow with at higher speeds, especially in wet weather... but still, there is a safety margin built in to the weight rating of the vehicle, so with that boat and vehicle combination, its really more a matter of the towing power.

I already placed my order a few months ago. I thought better safe than sorry with the tandem.
      I think you could have them put a single axle trailer under it pretty easily.

The dealer has to contact the rep and ask if it can be done.

They have a whole yard full of trailers and they just pick one out and place a boat on top of it.

I would think that just changing the trailer and getting a small refund would be easy to do.

Comment

I tow my 2017 VR5 with my 2015 ram 1500 without zero issue and in fact it's awesome. Prior to my truck purchase I tow my VR5 with my SUV and the issue I encountered is the tongue weight being way too much for the rating on the SUV and caused massive squat. Towing at night people would constantly flash high beams because I was pointing upwards and eventually cost me end links, bushing and bent rods on the independent rear suspension.

People forget about tongue weight

Comment

Originally posted by freechip View Post
          I tow my 2017 VR5 with my 2015 ram 1500 without zero issue and in fact it's awesome. Prior to my truck purchase I tow my VR5 with my SUV and the issue I encountered is the tongue weight being way too much for the rating on the SUV and caused massive squat. Towing at night people would constantly flash high beams because I was pointing upwards and eventually cost me end links, bushing and bent rods on the independent rear suspension.

People forget about tongue weight
          What SUV and year? I want to compare. If it’s 5,000 lbs tow capacity I am screwed for getting a Kia Telluride

Comment

Looking at the the numbers you may be okay. The Telluride has GVWR of 5,578 to 5,917 lbs and towing weight of 5000 lbs with 500 lbs tongue weight.
            Boat & Trailer - 4095 lbs
            Fuel 33 gallons - 208 lbs
            Total 4503 lbs
            This puts you under the 5000 lbs towing weight but it's close.

Now for weight in vehicle.

Passengers - 420lbs
            Equipment - 200 lbs
            Total 620 lbs

So your Gross weight is 5103 lbs. So if the GVWR of 5,578 to 5,917 lbs in the Telluride you are close to max.

It seems to be doable but I would be more worried about stopping.....
            QuickChek over Wawa
            Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
            Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
            Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
            Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
            1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

You could white-knuckle it with a mediocre tow vehicle that is maxed out, or you could get a proper tow vehicle where your load is right in the middle of the range which gives you a bit of a safety cushion.

Which you choose depends on how far and how often you are going to tow, and what level of risk you are willing to accept.

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
                You could white-knuckle it with a mediocre tow vehicle that is maxed out, or you could get a proper tow vehicle where your load is right in the middle of the range which gives you a bit of a safety cushion.

Which you choose depends on how far and how often you are going to tow, and what level of risk you are willing to accept.
                The distance will always be the same. 300 miles on a straight, flat section of I-75.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterdowg View Post
                  Looking at the the numbers you may be okay. The Telluride has GVWR of 5,578 to 5,917 lbs and towing weight of 5000 lbs with 500 lbs tongue weight.
                  Boat & Trailer - 4095 lbs
                  Fuel 33 gallons - 208 lbs
                  Total 4503 lbs
                  This puts you under the 5000 lbs towing weight but it's close.

Now for weight in vehicle.

Passengers - 420lbs
                  Equipment - 200 lbs
                  Total 620 lbs

So your Gross weight is 5103 lbs. So if the GVWR of 5,578 to 5,917 lbs in the Telluride you are close to max.

It seems to be doable but I would be more worried about stopping.....
                  So I believe that weight is in reference to a single axle trailer and smaller engine. Mine is 250 horsepower and tandem axle trailer. Not sure if the larger trailer makes life easier, but I know it adds weight.

Comment

So I believe that weight is in reference to a single axle trailer and smaller engine. Mine is 250 horsepower and tandem axle trailer. Not sure if the larger trailer makes life easier, but I know it adds weight.
                    250/200 I/O weigh the same

The specs are different for an OB vs an IO but now Bayliner lists them differently as they should................4095 is for the I/O.

Yes, the tandem axle trailer will weigh more due to a different set of springs.....the axle....2 rims.......2 tires.........(assume no extra calipers but I could be wrong to assume that)

Comment

The distance will always be the same. 300 miles on a straight, flat section of I-75. We have the truck but want a new SUV for trips.

Comment

The distance will always be the same. 300 miles on a straight, flat section of I-75. We have the truck but want a new SUV for trips.
                        If you have not committed cash/contract to a Telluride you may want to research a bit more and see if another SUV with superior tow ability is out there.

When moved to Michigan (before our present home) we actually made it a requirement that the boat and trailer had to fit in garage---loaded straight, not sideways.

We would walk up to a house for sale, go straight to the garage and pace out it's depth.......if it was too short, we walked away without entering a single bedroom or bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post

If you have not committed cash/contract to a Telluride you may want to research a bit more and see if another SUV with superior tow ability is out there.

When moved to Michigan (before our present home) we actually made it a requirement that the boat and trailer had to fit in garage---loaded straight, not sideways.

We would walk up to a house for sale, go straight to the garage and pace out it's depth.......if it was too short, we walked away without entering a single bedroom or bathroom.
                          Where in Michigan? I live in Cincinnati but will be traveling with the boat to areas in Warren and Oakland county. Lotta nice smaller lakes. My drive up there is hassle free. We love the telluride for the money, but might try to fall in “like” with a second option.

Comment

The lowliest V6 dodge durango has a 6200lb towing capacity, and the V8 versions go up to 8700. Granted, it is a Dodge (formerly FCA, now owned by Stellantis). However, with even lame negotiating skills you can get them very deeply discounted since it is based on a 10 year old design.

Gimme a second while I zip up my flame suit.......OK, ready.

Comment

• vr5200
                              vr5200 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep.........of the Big Three, Chrysler was number 3 for a reason...............and I can say that as I have owned a Chrysler product before!
                          Working...
                          X