New 2021 VR5 Ordered - first time boater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 2021 VR5 Ordered - first time boater

Excited to have ordered our first boat today - 2021 VR5 I/O. First time boater here planning to spend most of my time on Lake Winnisquam in NH. We will likely have many questions.

For now, I've just got a quick one... we kept the standard AM/FM stereo (and added 2 bow speakers) and I am just now noticing there is nothing stating bluetooth connectivity (only MP3). Is there bluetooth on this standard stereo?

Thanks much,

David

Originally posted by d3eaudette View Post
    Excited to have ordered our first boat today - 2021 VR5 I/O. First time boater here planning to spend most of my time on Lake Winnisquam in NH. We will likely have many questions.

For now, I've just got a quick one... we kept the standard AM/FM stereo (and added 2 bow speakers) and I am just now noticing there is nothing stating bluetooth connectivity (only MP3). Is there bluetooth on this standard stereo?

Thanks much,

David
    Welcome to BOC!

My VR5 is a little bit older, but my Jensen Stereo has bluetooth.
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Thank you. Excellent to hear. I found a couple images online that I could zoom in on and it says Bluetooth under the Jenson logo; so pretty sure I’m in good shape. Going to firm things up with my dealer tomorrow. Thanks again for the reply.

Comment

Hey David welcome to the the BOC!

I find myself in your same situation as we ordered a 2021 VR6 I/O just prior to the holidays. The excitement coupled with the waiting game makes it very difficult, though I keep reminding myself that the season will be here before we know it. We intend to do most or all our boating on Lake Winnisquam in NH as well.

Assuming that Bayliner does not make a change to the radio from 2020 then it will come equipped with a Jenson head unit that provides Bluetooth connectivity. We had rented a 2020 VR5 last summer, we had no issue connecting both iPhone and Android phones via Bluetooth and playing from our playlists.

Brian

Comment

• d3eaudette
          d3eaudette commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Brian, and welcome to you too...

Exciting times for you too! I've rented boats and vaca homes on Winnisquam on an annual basis for about 15 years now. We love the lake and hope to someday figure out how to get up there full-time. until then, we will travel an hour each way to boat; although we got really lucky and was able to snag a slip and is why we finally decided to buy... I didn't want to trailer as it doesn't seem like there are many spots to put in at Winnisquam.

Considered the VR6 myself just for the extra space but the VR5 just made more sense for my small-ish family overall; plus I think the delivery date for a VR6 was pushed out to August. Fingers are crossed that our VR5 comes in BEFORE the end of June due date that they promised...

Lots to learn and am reading through as many posts as possible trying to glean as much info as I can. I wish you all the best and hope to see you on the water.

David

My 2015 Bayliner has the standard Jenson radio and it has Bluetooth. I was looking at Jenson's website and they only offer 2 marine radios. Both of which of Bluetooth. So as long as they stick with Jenson, you should be okay.
        QuickChek over Wawa
        Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
        Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
        Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
        Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
        1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

• d3eaudette
          d3eaudette commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent news, was hoping I didn't have to make a swap.

My oem radio in my 2017 VR5 has Bluetooth and the cool thing about that is if you run a device that has for example a watch pair to it (iPhone & apple watch) then you can control your audio with your watch giving the appearance of a much more sophisticated system then it really is.

This year I'm planning on swapping the cockpit speakers to the front bow since these are bigger and installing a bigger/better pair for the cockpit. One of the fronts doesn't sound good anymore (blown)
        The addition of a powered subwoofer in my second year of ownership was a large improvement in sound quality and enjoyment.

Comment

• d3eaudette
          d3eaudette commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info Freechip, we have apple watches and never considered that feature, nice little perk when you aren't in the boat and want to change the song or volume.

Best of luck with you audio enhancements.

Originally posted by Waterdowg View Post
        My 2015 Bayliner has the standard Jenson radio and it has Bluetooth. I was looking at Jenson's website and they only offer 2 marine radios. Both of which of Bluetooth. So as long as they stick with Jenson, you should be okay.
        Ditto for our 2012 185...but we also have an input plug which seems to work flawlessly compared to using BT. Probably a combination of bad reception to begin with as well as old technology..
        Lake Hartwell, GA
        2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
        1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
        1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
        1996 SeaDoo GTX
        1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

• d3eaudette
          d3eaudette commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh good, I think mine will come with a input plug also. Hopefully the BT will work well and I won't have to tether to the radio.

Thanks,
          David

I have 1/8" headphone jack on mine as well, but have never used it. There is a USB port on the back of my stereo were I can attach my phone, not sure why they did not run that to the dash instead of the 1/8" jack. My Bluetooth seem to work fine once I got it paired.It was a pain at first, but I found a video on youtube and from there it was easy.
        QuickChek over Wawa
        Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
        Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
        Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
        Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
        1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

• d3eaudette
          d3eaudette commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, seems like marine radios are harder to connect bluetooth to for some reason. thanks for your comment.

Hi there! Congrats on your order! We ordered our VR4 about 3 weeks ago and they told us late July/early August. Ugh. How long did they tell you for delivery on your VR5?

Comment

• d3eaudette
          d3eaudette commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey J Breen, thanks... congrats to you too. I ordered mine just a couple weeks ago. The dealer had 5 or 6 VR5's on order and a couple of them did not have names on them already so I essential took one of those boats on order and had the ability to make changes like color and options in order to see it by the end of June. They did say that if I was to put a fresh new custom order in, that it would have been August before I saw it. Timing was lucky for me for sure. best of luck and wishing the months to pass by swiftly for us...

Originally posted by freechip View Post
        My oem radio in my 2017 VR5 has Bluetooth and the cool thing about that is if you run a device that has for example a watch pair to it (iPhone & apple watch) then you can control your audio with your watch giving the appearance of a much more sophisticated system then it really is.

This year I'm planning on swapping the cockpit speakers to the front bow since these are bigger and installing a bigger/better pair for the cockpit. One of the fronts doesn't sound good anymore (blown)
        The addition of a powered subwoofer in my second year of ownership was a large improvement in sound quality and enjoyment.

Can you please share more details on the subwoofer you installed and possible the revised speakers as well?
        2018 VR5
        I/O 4.5L 200HP Mercruiser
        Upstate New York - Freshwater
        Living life one boating season at a time

Comment

10" powered subwoofer is just a basic unit sold in many stores. I got mine at Walmart, it has remote volume control along with some tuning adjustments and the speaker was NOT made from cardboard so if a little water gets on it it's not a big deal. It's currently just sitting upside down under driver console at my feet. This made for quick and easy wiring since the radio is just above. The fuse block in my VR5 has empty spots so I installed 30A fuse since this is what the fuse in the sub is and simply powered it from the fuse block instead of running wires to battery. This is NOT ideal because when I turn the key to turn the engine on it cuts power to that portion of the block I guess or all of the block momentarily so I lose base for couple seconds.

Again for me this isn't a big deal since this was originally to test if it's something I wanted to add to my stereo and was also testing location. I've had this set since 2017 and it sound great and haven't even bothered to re-doing my setup (yet)

As for revised speaker setup, the issue with my VR5 is when I ordered it with the bow speakers, there was not mentioned that they would be smaller than those already installed in the cockpit but anyways after several seasons and most likely playing them too load they are done now so my thought to minimize cost until Investing and upgrading the entire system was to simply remove them and enlarge the mounting hole so I can swap and fit the ones from the cockpit and simply buy one pair of similar or better cockpit speakers.

Boat is in storage and so I can't take pics to post of the current setup.

Comment

I would think that there are replacement speakers the smaller size out there that are much better quality than the originals. Personally, I would cut into the already perfectly round speaker holes. I would find speakers to accommodate the existing holes. I know from our boating experience, it always seems that no matter where we boat, or with whom as guests, most of my time is spent either in the helm area or on the stern...frankly I think that’s where the music is most important .... hence bigger speakers located where I am most, not an occasional 1 in 10 trips for a few mins...plus while underway, I want to hear the music when others really cannot...just my thoughts...
            Lake Hartwell, GA
            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
            1996 SeaDoo GTX
            1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

I had ordered my VR5 with the bow filler cushion as well as the cushion wind blocker which serves as a forward seating position while underway and the young ones and some adult spend lots of time up front while I'm underway and they younger generation kind likes the volume at a certain level. I haven't measure them but I think they are around 5" - 5"1/2 and after 4 great yrs of use averaging 100hrs a year on the engine you can see we use our boat a lot so I'm not complaining about them.

But like you just mentioned, where I personally spend my time on my boat I rather invest a little in the cockpit speakers instead of the bow. Hence why I want to move the original cockpit speakers up in the bow and buy similar size or bigger but for sure better sounding and quality cockpit speaker and move the originals 6"1/2 to the bow which will require a little enlarging.

I've seen and heard vessel that emitted wakes from the hull from the bass rattling the entire vessel and this is NOT what I'm going for.

I'm just going for little improvement for little $$ so I can use more $$ for other things.

Comment

How much under MSRP are you guys paying for your VR5's?
                2003 Bayliner 1952 cuddy

Comment

Right now I doubt that there is much if any discounting going on. I may be wrong but it would seem to reason that you will pay a “premium” for a new boat today.
                  Lake Hartwell, GA
                  2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                  1996 SeaDoo GTX
                  1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Working...