Green Lever In Rear of Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Lever In Rear of Boat

I was installing a water/separator today in my 2017 Bayliner VR5 boat. I had to cut the fuel line to install the filter, but saw (for the first time) a lever under the cowl that I don't recall seeing anymore. It looked like it might be the fuel cutoff lever. Is that what it is? The green tipped lever can be fully vertical or fully horizontal. Is this a fuel shutoff switch or something else? In the Bayliner manual I see some mention of a "seacock" that looks like this lever, but it is for the livewell. If this is not the fuel shutoff, is there one? I normally like to starve the engine of fuel to prepare for winter, but I saw somewhere that I should not do this with an electric fuel pump. Is this right? I have a matched 115 Mercury 4 stroke EFI engine. Is there a fuel shutoff there? Or should I not worry about starving the engine for winter shutdown?

The green lever you describe is the drain to the cooler under main bench seat. I keep mine closed all the time except of course to drain the water after use of the cooler. if you follow the piping you will see it's from the bottom center of the cooler down and through the bottom of the hull.

As for preparing for winter, for my Canadian winters I top off the fuel tank and but a bit of fuel stabilizer and go for one last run of the season ensuring the stabiliser is run through the engine. Then I top off fuel tank and then winterizing is done to it.

My winterizing preparations are based on my 2017 VR5 with 4.5L 200HP I/O setup

Comment

Here is a picture.....it shows the green handled valve (circled in red) that is used to allow the cooler......or optional live well......to either be filled with water.....or allow continuous draining if filled with ice or wet accessories like wetsuits and ski ropes.

My valve handle is vertical in this picture to allow for continuous draining.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Inked20201009_083637_LI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	604900

Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

I am still having an issue with the "green lever" seacock that i believe is the livewell drain lever. Can someone tell me what position is "off" and what position is "on?" Is straight up vertical off and horizontal parallel to the hose "on? I am going out tomorrow and forgot what i was told about on and off. I don't think I have a livewll pump, I will not use it and just want to be sure it is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybird View Post
          I am still having an issue with the "green lever" seacock that i believe is the livewell drain lever. Can someone tell me what position is "off" and what position is "on?" Is straight up vertical off and horizontal parallel to the hose "on? I am going out tomorrow and forgot what i was told about on and off. I don't think I have a livewll pump, I will not use it and just want to be sure it is off.
          Put a gallon or two into it and see what position it drains at. Or look to see where the position of the handle to the drain lines are. Normally, if the handle is inline with the hoses, that’s on, or drain.
          1982 3270
          Volvo BB 140 A's
          Killbear Marina, Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada

Comment

In-line with hose is opened, either way you won't get any water back filling into the cooler/livewell. Anytime I ever had water coming into the vessel was when fully loaded and most passengers with in the back of the vessel and swim platform I got water coming in the cockpit for cockpit drain and NOT the cooler/livewell.

Comment

I vote for a surprise ejection lever. When you have it in the up position and hit the right combination of buttons on the dash the front port seat ejects its passenger...
              Current: 1998 Bayliner 4085 - Cummins 6BTA 370's
              Past: 2004 Monterey 322 - Volvo 5.7 GXi's
              Past: 1987 Silverton 34X - Crusader 454's

Comment

Working...
              X