2016 VR6 transom leak- Warranty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 VR6 transom leak- Warranty?

Good evening everyone. Well my first summer of boat ownership with this boat I would say was generally a success. I came on here a couple times with some issues that I’m still trying to work out but unfortunately I woke up to a call from my marina a couple weeks back saying a fellow docker noticed my bilge pump is coming on every seven or eight minutes so I pulled the boat and did a visual and didn’t find any hull damage. I’ve worked the past 14 overnights so the boat just sat in my driveway. we ended up having some heavy rain last night and when I woke up this morning I found a puddle in my driveway and found that I had water leaking out the bottom of where the bravo iii mounts to the boat.

obviously it’s a seal and shouldn’t be that terrible of a job but is this something that should be covered under factory warranty? i’m the second owner so it’s my understanding the warranty is no longer lifetime but it’s down to 10 years for the hull warranty. Do you believe this would be a covered defect? Boat has never had the outdrive removed previously.

Any assistance or recommendation would be appreciated.
    I’m in Toms River NJ and don’t have a Bayliner dealer that close and I’m assuming a dealer would be the one that has to do the repair if in fact it is warranty related correct?

-Dylan

Ensure it’s actually the transom seal, that’ll be a fairly big job. Maybe it’s a connector block gasket or mercathode seal. Those are both at the very bottom of the gimbal housing.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Without removing the drive this is what I see. I’m doubting anything but the main seal. My biggest concern if this is covered under the limited 10-year second owner warranty. If not I’m going to have a heart attack.

Comment

Originally posted by NJVR6 View Post
        Good evening everyone. Well my first summer of boat ownership with this boat I would say was generally a success. I came on here a couple times with some issues that I’m still trying to work out but unfortunately I woke up to a call from my marina a couple weeks back saying a fellow docker noticed my bilge pump is coming on every seven or eight minutes so I pulled the boat and did a visual and didn’t find any hull damage. I’ve worked the past 14 overnights so the boat just sat in my driveway. we ended up having some heavy rain last night and when I woke up this morning I found a puddle in my driveway and found that I had water leaking out the bottom of where the bravo iii mounts to the boat.

obviously it’s a seal and shouldn’t be that terrible of a job but is this something that should be covered under factory warranty? i’m the second owner so it’s my understanding the warranty is no longer lifetime but it’s down to 10 years for the hull warranty. Do you believe this would be a covered defect? Boat has never had the outdrive removed previously.

Any assistance or recommendation would be appreciated.
        I’m in Toms River NJ and don’t have a Bayliner dealer that close and I’m assuming a dealer would be the one that has to do the repair if in fact it is warranty related correct?

-Dylan
        Harbour Yacht Club And Marina is in Mantoloking "501 Route 35 South, Mantoloking, NJ 08738" (732-793-7975) which is a only a few minutes from Toms River. Otherwise it Lake Hopatcong Marine (973-663-3977) which is long ride from Tom River. Either one should be able to help determine if your under warranty. Lake Hopatcong Marine are very friendly and may be bale to help you out. I can can't speak for Harbour Yacht, I have only stopped by to look will on vacation at OB1.

QuickChek over Wawa
        Taylor Ham not Pork Roll

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
        Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
        Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
        Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
        1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

Originally posted by NJVR6 View Post
          Without removing the drive this is what I see. I’m doubting anything but the main seal. My biggest concern if this is covered under the limited 10-year second owner warranty. If not I’m going to have a heart attack.
          Judging from your pic that does look like a failing transom seal. Seems odd on 4 year old boat.
          🤔
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
          X