Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR5 2021. Maintenance/care you wish you knew about SOONER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VR5 2021. Maintenance/care you wish you knew about SOONER?

What are things to look out for upon delivery of the new boat? What types of maintenance or care should I expect to do weekly, monthly, or each season?

Boat will be stored in my pole barn (insulated roof, concrete floor). No heat. Mostly going on fresh water lake 10 min down the road.

UPON DELIVERY - I had several issues with mine but many of them were due to shipping and the dealer where I bought it just not being too professional. It had clearly been ship on transport with the boat itself not properly seated on the trailer and had massive rash near the front roller next to which. I have since ADDED stainless steel BOW PLATE.

BEFORE SIGNING OFF on DELIVERY - inspect and inspect and take your time. I literally was rubbing my hands everywhere on the hull and I could tell sales person was getting antsy and I finally spotted the transport rash ( ) which of course they fixed. Their inspection sheet had bilge pump checked off but yet when I opened engine bay the bracket holding it down was broken and the pump was just floating and held on by tubing and wires.

To look out for - My 2017 VR5 gel coat very thin according to professional who buffed out a scratch I got from dock incident. My hull is black, it's what I wanted due to running is less then clear/clean water and hated to see my white hull on previous boat constantly turn yellowish. So I pretty wash my VR5 every other weekend kinda like when washing my truck. Also apply quick was stuff just to provide that extra protection and easy of cleaning next time. ALL WORTH IT FOR ME.

After 4 summers and over 300hrs on engine the only thing other then regular schedule required maintenance that came up and I'll find out for sure when I have it winterized this year is WIDEBAND O2 sensor engine code popped up late in this season. I have mine winterized by authorized Merc Dealer that charges me barely more than what it would cost me in OEM products so I've never bothered doing it myself on my VR5. (peace of mind it's done right)

IMO - investing in Mobile VesselView if you haven't already is well worth the $$$ of purchase in just knowing all the extra info you get from it and also the ability to know what the engine codes that come up. I've had two alarms trigger since owning my VR5 and apart from this one (O2 Sensor) the other was something about unburnt fuel in exhaust which according to merc dealer's description of what could have cause this made perfect sense at the time and what I had done with the vessel. Just like for my vehicles, I just love having the ability to read codes prior to going to mechanic, I'm not going in blind.

As for storage I used navigloo shelter for mine and it is parked in the back yard outside exposed to my Canadian winters and NO issues of course winterizing done by professionals.

Comment

Was there a typo here?
      ”So I pretty wash my VR5 every other weekend kinda like when washing my truck. Also apply quick was stuff just to provide that extra protection and easy of cleaning next time. ALL WORTH IT FOR ME.”

What does your scheduled maintenance cost? Only go in once a year? I am want to compare once I learn from my local dealer about pricing.

Thank you for all the input.

Comment

I have the 4.5 200hp I/O

If you are mechanically inclined I suggest you do the compromise arrangement that I do to get the 100 hour/winterization done.....it will save you lots of money

I do the engine oil change, lower unit lube change, pull the prop and lube the spline, and some other minor things (and I have used OEM materials and I have receipts)

I have them do the balance of the 100 hour list and they winterize the engine.

By doing some of the stuff myself I save a few hundred dollars but yet I still have proof of proper maintenance and if there is damage caused by freezing...............I am off the hook since they do that.

Once my 5 year warranty (2+3) expires, I will do it all myself.
        Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
        Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

New boat ownership tips- immediately buy specialized cleaning supplies to maintain the boat in pristine condition....All mine came from Amazon

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201016_125954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	602658

Comment

My other post lost some material as I was editing it so I will add more comments here----

My tires are filled to 65 psi so make sure you can check and top them off.

Keep rags in the boat for clean up and blemish removal.

I use a spray bottle of water to spritz the waterline and clean up the outside as needed as soon as I leave the ramp (I do a wipe down in the parking lot)

I do a complete boat wash on the trailer each fall and spring.

I use a 3 foot long "grab-it/reach it" tool to move around soapy rags in the bilge from time to time.

Comment

Another trick/tip-

I bought a 3 amp Battery Tender and wired up up a cigarette lighter plug on the end of a cord.

I do not remove/disconnect the battery each year.

I turn the master switch off while in storage.

Every 45 days, I turn the switch on, and insert the plug into the power outlet in the dash.

I charge the battery using this method for the 15-20 minutes required until the charger light turns green.

I winterize in late October .............charge it in mid December................charge it in late Jan or early Feb.

I usually fire it up by mid March.

Comment

What motor do you recommend for a VR5? 115hp four stroke or 115hp four stroke XS?

Comment

Originally posted by thabiiighomie View Post
                  Was there a typo here?
                  ”So I pretty wash my VR5 every other weekend kinda like when washing my truck. Also apply quick was stuff just to provide that extra protection and easy of cleaning next time. ALL WORTH IT FOR ME.”

What does your scheduled maintenance cost? Only go in once a year? I am want to compare once I learn from my local dealer about pricing.

Thank you for all the input.
                  Yes several typos and or auto/prediction were made in my previous post.

i pretty MUCH wash my boat and also apply quick WAX products every other weekend.

The first year cost me most since it had to have the break-in service done and end of year service aka oils changed aka winterizing done.

Then certain things need regular inspections or changes x amount of hours and these of course will differ for every one based on how many hours they put on engine every year.

As for cost let’s just say with my previous boat it would cost almost 300$ in OEM merc products to service and winterized and the dealer charges me 350$ and does it in fraction of time it takes me to do it.

This year being my fourth season and amount of hours I have. VesselView mobile is showing belts, spark plugs and impeller need replacing. These are things I’ll mention to merc dealer when I drop it off for winterizing to see if in fact they need to be replaced and if so to do so.

Comment

As for engine recommendations, I got mine with the 4.5L 200hp I/O and don’t regret it at all. It suits my needs perfectly. Didn’t go with outboard power for two important reasons / needs when making my purchase decision.

#1 - was having full length and unobstructed swim platform for entire family to enjoy max square footage of it.

#2 - OAL was extremely important during purchase as there was a possibility I would be storing it indoors and also I trailer my vessel out of water every time and park in my drive way so I needed the over all length of the vessel on trailer to be at its shortest compare to added length the outboard option adds. The outboard option is a great weight saving option but it definitely adds several feet to OAL of the vessel. Something to consider if parking space is something to consider.

Comment

As far as options of the VR5, I took at the time every single option available except those for fishing related and the front and exterior lighting. I didn’t want to light up my chocolat color water i normally run it, you wouldn’t see 1foot deep anyways and at the time I didn’t like the look of the front docking lights and I rarely run at night.

The optional bow filler cushion along with back rest wind block are imo a must have if you have family that like to sit up front all the time. The added seating it provides and that extra place is now forward facing makes it so 3 people can comfortably sit up front and enjoy the ride and views while underway.

For 2021 season, I’ll be replacing the front bow speakers with the ones from the cockpit and replacing the cockpit speakers with a little bigger and better speakers.

I may also change my self powered added subwoofer to a possibly permanent setup.

Comment

Originally posted by freechip View Post
                        As far as options of the VR5, I took at the time every single option available except those for fishing related and the front and exterior lighting. I didn’t want to light up my chocolat color water i normally run it, you wouldn’t see 1foot deep anyways and at the time I didn’t like the look of the front docking lights and I rarely run at night.

The optional bow filler cushion along with back rest wind block are imo a must have if you have family that like to sit up front all the time. The added seating it provides and that extra place is now forward facing makes it so 3 people can comfortably sit up front and enjoy the ride and views while underway.

For 2021 season, I’ll be replacing the front bow speakers with the ones from the cockpit and replacing the cockpit speakers with a little bigger and better speakers.

I may also change my self powered added subwoofer to a possibly permanent setup.
                        Let me know what you replace the speakers with. I put kickers in my last low-fidelity vehicle because I need good sound. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post
                          New boat ownership tips- immediately buy specialized cleaning supplies to maintain the boat in pristine condition....All mine came from Amazon

Click image for larger version Name:	20201016_125954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	602658
                          Hey what type of applicator do you use? Type of buffer? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by thabiiighomie View Post

Hey what type of applicator do you use? Type of buffer? Thank you.
                            I bought a Ryobi cordless random orbital buffer/polisher (tool only) and separately got 2 batteries and a battery charger.

I bought some bonnets from Walmart -----copy/paste below ------prices may have changed since this 2018 purchase
                            Item[/FONT] Qty[/FONT] Total[/FONT]
                            WEN 6" Terry Cloth Applicator Bonnets, 2-Pack[/FONT]
                            $4.26[/FONT]
                            $4.26[/FONT]
                            Detailer's Choice 6-356 5" to 6" Microfiber Bonnets, 2-Pack
                            $3.27[/FONT]
                            $3.27[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                            X