Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vr5200
    replied
    OldManV Glad you were able to get your tach working.

It's always nice when the fix is a free one.

Leave a comment:

• OldManV
    commented on 's reply
    I did just what they said in that post and sure enough it fixed my tach issue, which was great! Unfortunately, just as I suspected I'm not reaching the rpm range I should be at WOT. I'm only able to get up to about 4000, 4200 if I trim up some, and that's with a 19p ss prop. I would expect to see something closer to 4900 with the lower pitched prop, since the stock ones are 21p and WOT should be 4500 to 4800. So now onto the next project...figuring out what's holding the engine back.

• OldManV
    commented on 's reply
    I'll have to climb in there and check that this weekend. Thanks for pointing that out!

• vr5200
    replied
    Originally posted by OldManV View Post
    I've got a '98 Capri 1850 that runs this same engine. Just recently purchased it, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. The previous owner had put a SS 19p prop on it and I can get the boat to about 35 mph top speed with the the trim set to just under about 1/2 on the gauge. My wife and I both wake board and have had no problems getting the boat moving quick enough out of the hole for the rider to get up, and that's usually with one of us driving and four kids riding along in the boat. Unfortunately, my rpm gauge is a little whacky (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), so I'm not really sure what rpm's I'm actually reaching, but I've thought about trying a 21p prop just to see if I can get a little more top speed whenever I'm not pulling anyone.
    Read this and see if it helps your tach problem...............

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...r-fluctuations

Leave a comment:

• OldManV
    replied
    I've got a '98 Capri 1850 that runs this same engine. Just recently purchased it, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. The previous owner had put a SS 19p prop on it and I can get the boat to about 35 mph top speed with the the trim set to just under about 1/2 on the gauge. My wife and I both wake board and have had no problems getting the boat moving quick enough out of the hole for the rider to get up, and that's usually with one of us driving and four kids riding along in the boat. Unfortunately, my rpm gauge is a little whacky (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), so I'm not really sure what rpm's I'm actually reaching, but I've thought about trying a 21p prop just to see if I can get a little more top speed whenever I'm not pulling anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Floaty_Prime
    replied
    Something is definitely off. I have on '05 192 with the 3.0 TKS and my cruise numbers are right in at what is called out for it. I typically cruise 27 to 32 depending on my trim with 5 on board. With 2 on she jumps on step quite fast and takes just a little more throttle to get a skier out of the water. Giver her a tune up and verify the prop.

Leave a comment:

• markky
    replied
    mrowe I slalomed skied today with your boat. I am 270. Bilateral knee replacements. If you have the boat tuned it will pull whoever wants to ski assuming they are willing to do their part. That said I have an aluminum 19 pitch prop that I use, but prefer my 15 ss prop. I never exceed 4000 rpm and I can run about 32 mph with trim down. I have pulled two good slalom skiers with 19 prop and passenger. I try and ditch excessive weight and move passengers and stuff to the front of the boat when pulling skiers...at least until they are up. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Island Eddie
    replied
    Just gonna add my 2 cents worth..... I have the 3.0LX in a 96 1952CL. The boat was a one owner, and it set for a long spell after his death. It was pretty much original. It ran, as the SNL would start it up every month for years, until the wife of the deceased could finally part with her husbands, loved possession. I am pretty green about this engine, etc....and it ran, so I pretty much just ran it, as is, worked for my needs.
    That was 2 years ago. Now I was having performance issues, nothing major, just little things that bugged me, always started, never left me stranded, etc....
    Even after doing the carb rebuild, fuel pump, wires, plugs, etc....it still seemed not 100%. Now I understand a 1996 boat/motor is never going to perform like a 2020, that is fact. But I dug a little deeper, put on a new distributor cap, and did the timing, and boy, did that make a huge difference.....I can tell i am getting more power, and speed, with less throttle advanced than I did before.....last time out, me and my wife, I had 35MPH @ 3300 RPM with lots of throttle left.....I never went higher, just do not feel comfortable at those speeds. You might check your timing and cap, my was pretty corroded, and the timing retarded just a few degrees.....

Leave a comment:

• RobMick
    replied
    Our 2012 185 has the 3.0 TKS...WOT for this engine is 4400-4800 so you may be over propped a bit. How is the bottom of the hull? Clean or does it have growth from sitting in the water? Believe it or not, if the hull is dirty, those numbers that you mentioned are exactly what mine did when the bottom was dirty....once clean, I ran 42mph and was able to hit 4800 rpm. I love the set up of Smart Tabs and a 4-blade 19” prop and hit my WOT numbers exactly at 4800...boat jumps on plane almost immediately. I can pull a slalom skier up with no issues with this set up...

Leave a comment:

• freechip
    replied
    Never did much tow sports with my BR175 with 3.0 but I remember having 2 props. Other than for safety reasons I would have my 21p for most of my riding and would swap to 19P when towing 2 person tube and we would usually only be 2 in the vessel. I was fortunate enough that my local marine shop would allow me to test props and return them as long as they had no damage of course. It might be something you can do with your local shop if you have one....

Leave a comment:

• B95054
    replied
    I had a Maxum with a 3.0 and my weight fluctuates between 185lbs and 200 lbs. with a combination of repropping, hydrofoil and always paying close attention to trim I was able to get out of the hole on a slalom ski but it always was a bit of a grunt. It always bothered me until I saw how much fuel tournament boats were going through. Practice your dock and your beach starts (or start on two and drop one) and you will be fine. The substantial gas savings far outweigh the power out of the hole imo.

Leave a comment:

• vr5200
    replied
    Originally posted by njosephson View Post
    The right prop can make a big difference in a boat like that - also load etc. Might try something like a 5 blade prop (I had one on my rinker to improve the hole shot) - also its important to move weight forward. I used to ski behind my grandpa's 19 glasply with a 70 Johnson and you had to hold on for a while...
    If that 70 was a 2 stroke, it had a lot of low end grunt.

As a kid skiing, I have a fond memory of getting pulled up and getting that whiff of the 2 stroke exhaust as I went through it!

Leave a comment:

• njosephson
    replied
    The right prop can make a big difference in a boat like that - also load etc. Might try something like a 5 blade prop (I had one on my rinker to improve the hole shot) - also its important to move weight forward. I used to ski behind my grandpa's 19 glasply with a 70 Johnson and you had to hold on for a while...

Leave a comment:

• Waterdowg
    replied
    I had a boat 176 Searay 176 the same engine and I had no issue pulling a skier. I agree with vr5200 you have some sort of issue. What size and pitch is your current prop?

Leave a comment:

• vr5200
    replied
    Look at this review....your numbers indicate you might have a discrepancy of some kind......(spun prop hub???)

https://www.boats.com/reviews/sea-tr...4%2C800%20rpm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X