X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vr5200
    replied
    Originally posted by glenh2nd View Post
    I ended up ordering a Sport Marine SE Sport SE400 Hydro Foil that will also cover the old bolt holes. Thank you for all your replies.

Next project, propeller!
    I went from a 21P to a 19P prop (both 3 blade) and I was pleased with the better holeshot and stability while skiing and tubing.....this was on my 1998 3.0

3 blade 19P props are cheap and easy to find......I got mine from a prop shop that had a bunch of reconditioned ones.

I just knew that I had to watch the tach to avoid over revving the engine if I was trying to cross the lake quickly.

Since I was never a "go fast all the time" kind of person, so it was never a problem.

Leave a comment:

• glenh2nd
    replied
    I ended up ordering a Sport Marine SE Sport SE400 Hydro Foil that will also cover the old bolt holes. Thank you for all your replies.

Next project, propeller!

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    commented on 's reply
    Not sure there’d be any more stress than is already present. 😉

• glenh2nd
    commented on 's reply
    I've been reading they cause stress on the stern drive bearings. I guess I could just put the bolts back in, LOL.

• glenh2nd
    commented on 's reply
    C-ya is correct. Also it's aluminum and not easy to straighten. I'll give it a go without the hydrofoil and if I don't like it then I'll buy a new one. Thank you for the reply.

• C-ya
    commented on 's reply
    Sunbird, it looks to me like it is bent on the corner closest to the camera.

• vr5200
    replied
    You will be OK if you get some touch up paint and paint the inside of each hole to prevent the exposed raw metal from corroding.

If in salt water, it is much more important to check for any blistering several times a year and touch it up as needed.

Since those edges have already supported lifting force by the fin, we know the structure is fine.

Due to the orientation and location of the holes, there will be no real impact on slicing though the water with open holes.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Ok to test run it with the foil removed. As stated above if you decide to remove it permanently I’d fill the holes. Some guys like the foils and some guys don’t.

Leave a comment:

• Sunbird
    replied
    The hydrofoil will make a big difference- Have you considered removing the foil and straightening the bend? I think it would be okay to run with the holes exposed but if you plan to not go back to the foil I would fill the holes. The foil does not look bent in your photo. Maybe older photo?

Leave a comment:

• glenh2nd
    started a topic sterndrive hydrofoil

sterndrive hydrofoil

I recently purchased a 2002 Capri 185 3.0 and the added hyrdrofoil is bent. Is it OK to just take it off and leave the holes open on the sterndrive?
Working...
X