Starter Motor 2003 Bayliner 175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Motor 2003 Bayliner 175

I have had the starter motor replaced on my boat twice and am still having the same issue. Each time I take the boat out on the water, I turn the key and hear a clicking sound. I usually have to turn the key 4 or 5 times until the starter engages. It has been like this since I bought the boat new in 2003. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Welcome! What power package do you have? I/O or outboard. If it’s a Mercruiser, there’s a slave solenoid that could be the issue. I suggest you have a friend help you with one of you at the exposed engine and the other at the key. Listen for the click and follow the sound to its source. It may be that the solenoid on the starter is fine but the slave solenoid is not passing through.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Welcome to BOC!

Sorry your boat is acting up.

Since it has been going on since 2003 I have a couple of thoughts.

Sometimes the engine block and the starter have paint on the contact surfaces and that makes for unreliable cranking.

I would also loosen and clean the negative cable connection to the block.

These 2 issues are some that can plague even a brand new boat.

I mention them especially since you have said the issue has been present for about 17 years.

edit 1-- as I was typing this I saw that another post popped up.....as Pcpete mentioned, the slave solenoid could also be involved.

I assumed you had a 3.0 Mercruiser.

I wonder why the dealer could not correct this issue back in 2003...…………..but that is now behind us and we will work with what we have today.

edit 2-- How old is the battery and when was it last tested?

edit 3-- loosening, cleaning, and tightening the large connections on the slave solenoid might also help.
      Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
      Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

I have a 2003 205BR, and had exactly the same issue. New slave solenoid next to the cutoff relay, fixed it right away.
        2003 Runabout 205BR (bowrider) Merc 5.0, Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Originally posted by raspeitia View Post
          I have a 2003 205BR, and had exactly the same issue. New slave solenoid next to the cutoff relay, fixed it right away.
          Agree the slave soleniod is the most likely cause. Good news it’s only around $25.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Dakota1998

As with all these scenarios, we really want to hear about your progress (good or bad) as you try to fix your boat.

Luckily all the things mentioned here are fairly straightforward and cheap to deal with.

Good Luck!
            Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
            Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Working...
            X