Bayliner Quality Control on new VR6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner Quality Control on new VR6

Hello All, We just picked up our new VR6 today and we were quite surprised at the cosmetic defects we found. We purchased a left over 2019 VR6 new this year from a local Bayliner dealer and we had final inspection and pick up today. We found 15 to 20 small defects from scratches in the gel coat, rips and scuffs int eh seats to missing snaps on the cover and carpeting. The sticker had a crease in it that is on the dash. We found three significant cracks/small holes in the gel coat that were not repaired. We had some small scuffs and rips in the seat leather on three of the cushions.

We have a 20 year old Bayliner Capri 1750 that has fewer blemishes. Is this normal for 2018 -2020 Bayliner quality control or has this boat been mishandled in the local marina for the last year? The dealership has promised to fix all of the issue we found at the end of this boating season and we have photo documented it all. I am just surprised that a new boat has this many small imperfections. Many were buried under seats so not clearly visible until a thorough inspection.

The dealership was very nice and has filed claims for the seats and offered to fix the gel coats but my wife and I are having a little buyer remorse with what we are finding. The boat was still shrink wrapped as new so we did not expect any of this.

let me know your thoughts.

Regards, Carter

Hello, Carter. You got a great boat. Shoddy work and lack of detail on finishes for sure but easy fixes on snap repair and cushion replacement. And the dealer will repair the gel coat. Yes, quite disconcerting for a new boat to have so many issues but Bayliner and the dealer seem to have resolved all your issues. Go enjoy your new boat and don't look back.
    2017 Bayliner VR6
    Mercury Verado L4 200hp

Comment

I also just purchased a 20 VR6 that I’m having issues with the fit and finish. I haven’t gone over it with a fine tooth comb like you have but saw some questionable spots where seams come together. I even got a fiberglass splinter from the bottom of the walkway door the day received it. You would think that a $40k plus boat would look better.

Comment

Somewhere else here on these boards, this topic has been discussed.

There are several angles to examine......one of which, is that these are not machine produced cars made on an assembly line

They are made by hand and sometimes there are certainly some issues they could handle better.

First I will go over some cosmetic issues with my boat...…………..and the dealer was very helpful...…...but some things are "just the way they are"

Keep in mind.....I am a "hand wash your car/boat" kind of guy and I used to detail cars as a kid for a local dealer.

I do think that some of your damage was caused by all the people that did a "boat tour" as they considered whether they wanted to buy it. (Broken snaps come to mind)

Here is my cosmetic list-----
        1- the "B" emblem popped off the center of the steering wheel and the adhesive was weak. I wound up getting an entire new steering wheel and all is well.

2- I also have misc scratches/nicks in the area of the transom walkthrough that really can't be fixed. Still a presentable area but annoying.

3- the under hood insulation started to droop within 30 days of ownership--the dealer applied adhesive and all is well.

4- there was obviously a gelcoat issue where the blue meets the white on my 2 color hull and the factory had to massage it. It almost looks like a bit of blue gelcoat may have stuck to the mold and they had to go back and smear in some blue to cosmetically improve the appearance.

5- the gray dash and the blue hull had significant swirls in it. If it was a car, you would think it had been run through an automatic car wash for 5 years. I corrected the condition myself.

6- the last 18 inches of the boot stripe on one side was not put on completely straight.

7- the divider on the port side of the engine compartment was in constant contact with a through bolt.....it would have rubbed and chewed things up for years. The dealer provided a correction.

I had other issues, as well, that I will not go into on this post...…………...... but I was not a thrilled owner during my first 90 days of ownership.

I had just paid a lot of money for a brand new boat and it had many issues that needed attention.

Having posted all this, we love our boat now that all the bugs have been worked out.

It has a deep V for stability in rough water.......we love the walk through transom......the full width swim platform...all the storage....the wide bow......great towability…..

Once our Mercruiser issues got sorted out (worthy of another post), I can say we are pleased with our I/O.

I also had issues with the Karavan trailer...………...one was part of a recall...……….the other required replacement of the entire axle.

So in a sense...………...I had a trifecta of issues...……………... boat/motor/trailer.

My Camry and F150 had basically none...….and they never have to be winterized!
        Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
        Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Not a show stopper but just very disappointed we have to deal with all of this on a new boat. I attached some pics to show the items.

Here are some Pics of our new boat and the defect we see:

2019 Bayliner VR6:

Gel Coat Defects:

Passenger seat area:

Swim Deck:

Port side Knick:

Grab handle on port side has a circular hairline crack all the way around it.

Hairline crack neat the head door stop in the bow.

Hole and cracks under the rear seat by the engine

In the compartment under the rear seat:

On the Stern by the eye loop for trailer hook:

Regards, Carter
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Carter54; 05-17-2020, 08:11 AM. Reason: Adding attachements

Comment

Carter54

I can not see your pictures.

I am not sure if the problem is on your end..............or if, for example, a fresh face has to accumulate a certain number of posts for the pics to be properly displayed.

Comment

vr5200, They show up on mine so I am guessing that it is a newbie thing. I can try again later I need to go get this boat ready for the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter54 View Post
                vr5200, They show up on mine so I am guessing that it is a newbie thing. I can try again later I need to go get this boat ready for the water.
                Attachments worked...………..we can see them now.

Yay!

Comment

I have looked at the pics and it does look like some carelessness occurred.

Hopefully the dealer can improve the appearance of some of those areas.

By the way...………...your boat is a 2019 but could have actually been built as early as summer of 2018

Yes, the longer a boat is in stock, the greater chance that a few bumps and bruises occur.

Sorry it is not "sparkly fresh" but I am sure you enjoy using it this summer!

Comment

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post
                    I have looked at the pics and it does look like some carelessness occurred.

Hopefully the dealer can improve the appearance of some of those areas.

By the way...………...your boat is a 2019 but could have actually been built as early as summer of 2018

Yes, the longer a boat is in stock, the greater chance that a few bumps and bruises occur.

Sorry it is not "sparkly fresh" but I am sure you enjoy using it this summer!
                    Absolutely some of these are man made. Its definitely shipped in 2018 I have the paperwork and its a small boat yard so moved around the yard a bunch in the last year I bet. As long as they make good on their promise we will be happy. Just frustrated a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the post & pics. Buyers remorse can be brutal. You said the "dealer will fix the issues at end of the boating season". Look at the bright side, maybe the dealer will accidentally fix issues caused by your summer of fun on the water.
                      "The Profit"
                      Sunny Florida
                      2019 Tahoe T16 75 hp
                      2018 E16 75 hp......Sold

Comment

Working...
                      X