Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello new boat owner.

Hello folks,
    I'm new to boating. Just joined this forum haven't had a chance to take the boat out yet. Bought at Houston boat show,, Bayliner VR4.
    Looking forward to take her out!

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy and make the most of your new boat!
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]

Comment

• Timothy B.
      Timothy B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Welcome to the club!
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• Timothy B.
      Timothy B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

Welcome. Before you take your new boat out, take some classes starting with safety. If you have a regular crew, they should take it too. The first time you take it out, have someone knowledgeable go with you and another boat in case there’s a problem. It happens. A friend of mine had the vertical drive shaft on his 280 Volvo snap during the delivery. Luckily they were at the dock when it happened.
    Explain how you intend to untie and depart from the dock or beach and instruct your crew on what they are supposed to do. Same thing returning. Some of the things are going to be “like, duh...” but it beats putting a nice big gash in your, or someone else’s boat. Oh, and, a designated skipper. A capable designated skipper.
    Your sales person should be able to point you in the direction of some classes. Don’t let him or her downplay it. Check out some boat ramp fails on YouTube.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

• Timothy B.
      Timothy B. commented
      Editing a comment
      You bet. I've already been checking out YouTube.
      Wife and I will take a safety course

Welcome and congrats on the new boat !
    It's all a dream
    '03 245 5.7/BIII & '07 Sedona pontoon

Comment

• Timothy B.
      Timothy B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks pretty pumped about it

Welcome to BOC.
    It is very exciting that you bought a boat at the boat show.
    As a new boater, I want to encourage you to do a bit of shopping (price wise) when you are collecting all the safety and "fun" gear that you need.
    You also want to get a spare tire and bracket for the trailer.

Are you a do it yourself person or will you be having others do things like oil changes?
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

• Timothy B.
      Timothy B. commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure there are I will do myself, although I'm not a mechanic. I see you have a VR5 , does it have those positive and negative post on the otherside of the red/kill switch?
      Hate to be bugging you right off the bat.

Welcome to the forum.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

• Timothy B.
      Timothy B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Awesome and congrats on the purchase.....did ya get the outboard or I/O model?

What lake do you expect to be frequenting? If new to boating and going to lake conroe... be mindful of all the cigarette boats out there. I've been there a few times and was afraid to have kids in water with those morons racing mach 10 all over the place.
    2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
    Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

• Timothy B.
      Timothy B. commented
      Editing a comment
      We're down on the coast, Going to hit San Bernard river first

Congrats and welcome😎🕺 you are in the right spot to ask ANYTHING! Regardless of what size, type or make boat we all have here, the one thing in common is that everyone be was a First Time Boat Owner once in their lives. There is not a topic or question that is “silly” or “stupid” in the eyes of members here......I know by experience. As mentioned, a course would be a benefit, definitely read up on your owner’s manual both for the boat as well as the engine, typically separate manuals. I am sure Youtube has plenty of videos as well these days. Welcome aboard...be sure to fill out your profile/signature and post pics when she arrives!
    Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
    1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

• Timothy B.
      Timothy B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Timothy B. - I can honestly say I have never looked closely at the back side to tell precisely what mine has, but here is the general layout............….

The back of the switch has 2 large posts and (I assume) the positive cable only is connected on the back side. The switch connects/disconnects the 12 volt positive lead to everything in the boat.

Important- (assuming your VR4 is like many of our boats with a radio)- whenever you leave your boat unattended for more than a few hours, open the kill switch. The radio places a small draw on the battery 24/7 unless the switch is turned off. If you were to leave the switch on in between 2 weekends of boating, you may return to the boat and find a dead battery.

Extra tip- it is nice to have an extra key. Do a search for this. Amazon presently sells them...…….HELLA 706729011 Replacement Key for Battery Master Switch

Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

If your boat doesn’t already have a second battery with a switch allowing you to select battery 1. 2, both or off, that’s the very first project I’d complete.
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]

Comment

I agree on the dual battery cutoff switch...even of you do not add a 2nd bttry right away, I suggest getting a 2 battery switch and install it.

that way you can shut down all electrical when not in use. I can say that was first thing i did....I also installed a charger system so I simply turn bttry switch off and run extension cord to boat and plug in the 3 stage charger.

I changed my original battery this past year and my boat is a 2008. Unusually long service from a battery, but I'm sure the charger and shut off had a big roll in keeping bttry strong. The replacement bttry was 200 dollars which is much more than the switch and charger.

Anxious to see pics....so post em when ya get em.
        2008 H210SS Four Winns
        Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
        Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Fyi....below is a link to boatus website boater safety course. It's free on this site and once completed you pay around 10 or 15 dollars for safety certificate from texas parks and wildlife.

Course is required for younger folks in texas....I've been boating for 30 years and im taking it now online just to learn what I never new.....takes a little while and you have to pay attention or you will get embarrassed taking exams. Should have taken a long time ago.

As suggested, enter your boat detail info such as motor type, size etc in signature line. You found what I feel is best support forum out there and many on here can guide ya and happy to do it....but they need to know what setup you have.
          2008 H210SS Four Winns
          Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
          Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

All good suggestions to which I’ll add:
            get insurance even if not required in your state; this can cover you for liability, property damage and in case a fuel or oil spill occurs. Also advisable is towing insurance because on the water towing is very expensive. There are a lot of new skills to learn so take your time!
            88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
            X