Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Pictures of Macerator Pump Installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Pictures of Macerator Pump Installed?

Hello! I have a 1991 Bayliner Trophy.

The bilge fills up every time something heavy is placed at the back of the boat, or if someone is standing/fishing at the stern. Water gets in from the scuppers and drains into the fish boxes. The water then drains from the fish boxes to the bilge. This is a known problem.

I've changed the scuppers to the ball-type ones. It helped a little, but I think if I install a Macerator pump, I can use the fish boxes and the bilge would be clean and dry.
    I bought the boat used and the boat didn't have a macerator pump installed.

Does anyone have any pictures of the macerator and plumbing? I would like some ideas as to how and where I should mount it.

Sounds like your looking for a bait well pump or in your case a fish well pump. A macerator pump is typically used for evacuating the waste tank.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• MisterTrophy
      MisterTrophy commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope..just replaced the bait well/washdown pump a few months ago. What a headache! I bought the boat to a shop to have the brass thru hull relocated. Now I just have to rewire everything with the proper wire and connectors.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-hncG9P5-L.jpg

Are these fish wells below deck and do the well drains connect or T into the cockpit drain lines leading to the scuppers? Could a shut off valve or similar be installed to isolate the fish wells?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    Misc. projects thread

Comment

there are some unanswered questions as to what is really going on there, but it sounds as if the easiest and safest solution may be to raise the thru-hull fittings so that doesnt happen....

keep in mind there is a difference between a scupper and a fish box drain or thru hull fitting, and a macerator and a fish box evacuation pump, so we may be getting a bit confused due to the wording???

but if I understand it correctly, it makes little sense to add more and expensive complexity just to fix a symptom when the cure for the actual problem would be so much better all the way around...

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

• MisterTrophy
        MisterTrophy commented
        Editing a comment
        Raising the thru hull/scuppers above the water line will cost way more money than installing a macerator pump and plumbing. I'm looking for a more simple fix.

I read somewhere on this site that that the fish boxes were connected to a T connector and the T connector was connected to a macerator pump, to perhaps, chop up fish scales and pump them directly outside of the boat via a thru hull.

***I think I am using the proper wording.

I'll try to take pictures of the fish boxes tomorrow and update you. The boat has a switch on the panel that says "Live Well". So I'm guessing they're called Live wells and not fish boxes.

Here's a picture of the thru hulls from inside the boat, and a picture of the cone type scuppers from outside of the boat.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-6xzHmvf-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-3T7w964-M.jpg

The fish wells are below the deck on both port and starboard sides. there are plain 1" holes in the bottom corner of both wells. No thru hulls or any other plumbing connected to the holes. The holes drain directly into the bilge area. I 'll see if I could get some pictures tomorrow.

I read that both holes could have possibly been connected via a T, and the T could have been connected to a macerator.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterTrophy View Post
        The fish wells are below the deck on both port and starboard sides. there are plain 1" holes in the bottom corner of both wells. No thru hulls or any other plumbing connected to the holes. The holes drain directly into the bilge area. I 'll see if I could get some pictures tomorrow.

I read that both holes could have possibly been connected via a T, and the T could have been connected to a macerator.
        If the fish box drains are below the static waterline you may need to connect those drains to a pump that’ll evacuate any fish box water out above the waterline.
        probably what you were inquiring about in your first post....😆😳🤔
        Sounds doable.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        Misc. projects thread

Comment

Yep. But i also just realized what Centerline said...and the actual problem is the location of the scupper holes.

Even if I install a macerator pump, and i use the fish boxes and put fish and ice in them, water will still enter the fish boxes and come into contact with fish and ice. I will also have to turn the macerator on and off like a bilge pump to pump the water out. But at least my bilge will be dry and empty!

So, anyone have any pictures of their Trophy's fish boxes connected to a macerator pump ?

Comment

"The boat has a switch on the panel that says "Live Well". So I'm guessing they're called Live wells and not fish boxes".....

my panel says live well also, but if the holding tank/well doesnt have a pump to bring water in (mine did NOT) and a provision for it to passively exit to keep an exchange of fresh water going on, there is nothing "Live" about it.... I cut the entire well out of the boat because it was not convenient for use as a holding tank for fish or crab, and the larger space is very convenient as a storage area.

NU LIBERTE'
            Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
            5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
            N2K equipped throughout..
            2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
            2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
            '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
            Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I have a 1997 2352 Trophy...its probably a bit different than yours

my boats fish holds both drained into this box in the bilge and used a simple bilge type pump and auto float to remove the water...I HATED this setup !!!

WHY would I ever want to intentionally have water drain into my bilge?

I removed that stupid setup after the 1st season

what I did was to plumb each fish box separately...I have a Rule 500 pump inline to each box and I added a thru hull to pump the water out of the boat...I have switches on the dash to drain the holds manually...

water NO longer drains into my bilge !!
              1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
              5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
              San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

• MisterTrophy
                MisterTrophy commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly! Thanks for the idea! how did you connect the drain holes to the hoses? Any pictures?

• hookemdano
                hookemdano commented
                Editing a comment
                I will take a couple pics later today for ya...

the drain hole already had a "fitting"...remember it drained into the box...I used the same "fitting"

also...in my setup...when we catch fish and put it in the hold...after it has quit floppin around...we use the wash down hose to clean the hold a bit and then put water in the hold to keep the fish cooler...the water does NOT drain until we flip the switch on the dash
              San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

Comment

• MisterTrophy
                MisterTrophy commented
                Editing a comment
                Since you use regular rule pumps to pump out the fish boxes, have they ever jammed up on you?

• hookemdano
                hookemdano commented
                Editing a comment
                nope not once...and the pumps have never been replaced...I am surprised

Comment

Any idea what this brass thru hull is for? It's capped on the inside of the boat.

Comment

my port fish box

I think that mesh thing screws on/off ...dont really remember

this is all original
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_132828811_HDR.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	547075Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_132823547_HDR.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	547076Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_132839357.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	547077
                  San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

Comment

the underside

Name:	IMG_20191101_133032717.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	547081

Name:	Optimized-DSCN3648.JPG
Size:	802.5 KB
ID:	547082

looks like I have some oil to look into...weird
                    San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

Comment

the pump....it pumps to a thru hole on the side of the boat

Name:	IMG_20191101_133032717.jpg
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	547084Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_132918741.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	547085
                      San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

Comment

Working...
                      X