2012 - 4.3 TKS oil filter change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 - 4.3 TKS oil filter change

Oil filter is located under the engine, port, aft. Not able to physically touch it. How in the heck do you change it? I have read on other sites how they were able to put an extension of some sort on a filter wrench to get it off. But how would you then install a new filter if you cannot spin it on by hand?
    1973 Rinker Trihull 115hp Mercury OB
    1974 Caravelle Trihull 165 hp I/O
    1986 Baja 180 170HP Mercruiser
    2012 Bayliner 195 BR 4.3 TKS

Buy this socket style oil filter wrench (if you have OEM filter) and stand on your head. It will take some maneuvering to get it down there. Remember its screwed in upside down so turn the opposite direction to loosen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Huntsville, Alabama
    2009 Bayliner 195 Sport 4.3 TKS
    1979 Basstracker 50hp Mercury "Duck Slayer"

Comment

• TX H210 SS
      TX H210 SS commented
      Editing a comment
      ??? Filter isnt mounted upside down in this model is it???? Opened end up into bottom of block....opened end up means turn counterclockwise

The cap wrenches work but I recommend you buy a new filter and take it to the parts store with you and make sure it fits the filters you will be using exactly. I have a drawer full of these in my tool box!
    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

BTW shame on Bayliner for designing it that way and then NOT making a remote mount standard! On the old boats with the wide open engine compartment (after you remove the rear seat and bulkheads) you can easily get at it. The new boats really should have that remote mount standard.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Marine oil filter 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	544770

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

After fighting that issue on prior boats...a remote oil filter was required on current boat or it was a deal killer. It made routine service a miserable chore.

if your gonna keep boat for a while I would see what dealer would charge to install a remote. It has made it a simple beer sipping process and spared me years off my life in stress. On my prior boat I could barely get fingertips to touch filter and couldn't see it.....I used a short handle filter wrench to spin it off and just stuffed old towels in there to catch oil because it will spill or drop in bilge.

it was a one hand only operation as your other hand is shooting the bird to boat designers as you are cussing to yourself and speaking complete sentences of disbelief out loud....getting the new filter started is worse as you have no feel....I used a flat rubber strap I could pinch around filter to hold it level and get started....make damn sure new filter exterior is dry dry dry and hand isnt oily because you need friction on those finger tips to finger walk it on...then back out and get wrench and climb back into the spider monkey position to tighten.

2008 H210SS Four Winns
        Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
        Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
        Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

• TX H210 SS
          TX H210 SS commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked at bayliners again at boat show before I bought current boat....those had no remote and salesman had nerve to tell me the maintenance was designed to be simple and easy! In front of a group of other shoppers I had to ask to show me how to access oil filter....he smirkishly pointed and said it's right there, while pointing to fuel separator filter.

I told him that's fuel buddy...show me the oil filter. After awkward silence and others peering into boat from elevated walkway....I told him the oil filter is under engine and there's NO WAY IN HELL you can even see it or touch it without mirrors and a slingshot.

Price of remote and install divided by number of years you have boat make it the best buy since beer was bottled.

• vr5200
          vr5200 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sometimes I wish we had a "like" button for comments...…..especially for the comment made at 7:31pm

Originally posted by vr5200 View Post
        Sometimes I wish we had a "like" button for comments...…..especially for the comment made at 7:31pm
        Lower right hand corner
        1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
        1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
        1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
        10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
        1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
        "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
          Nauti_Mike commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s true for a post but not for comments.

OOOPS
        1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
        1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
        1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
        10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
        1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
        "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

This is one big reason I kept my old boat; when I re did the interior years ago I made it maintenance friendly. That and the lack of having to deal with electric fuel pumps, fuel injection and cat converter exhaust. I’m happy to have simple old stuff that is accessible for service and repair. Oh and don’t forget if the oil filter is bad to get at I bet the starter on the other side is just as bad. Just say NO to molded in jump seats right up against the engine. Look for bench seats that can be removed easily. I used a pair of pontoon benches each 36” wide that can be removed one at a time as needed and are lighter than the full width bench.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
          X