VR6 Lemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VR6 Lemon

I bought a 2018 VR6 with the verado pro 200 with all options. After about 110 hours the boat has been towed 3 times. It’s not safe and dangerous. I don’t feels safe using it anymore. The has been down for almost 2 months now do to a electrical issue. The whole engine system goes out. I loose power and steering while underway. Very dangerous if your in wind and current near a bridge or rocks or other boats because you can crash into them. The dealer can’t figure out what’s wrong with it.

David, this seems like something that you need to engage Bayliner Customer service on.

From my viewpoint with the info provided you have a dealer problem.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Dealer is definitely part of the problem. Worst dealer around. Dealer only has one tec and he is to busy selling boats and prepping new boats to worry about my boat. He had it a week Looked at it for a few then was busy prepping boats for a show then next day gave me boat back and a bout 20 hours later on boat I get stranded in the ocean while fishing and had to get towed in

Comment

I can't even imagine how frustrating it is to have this problem.

I assume the behavior is intermittent...………..if so, that is the hardest type of symptom to troubleshoot.

Are there any other hiccups that happen in the minutes leading up to a failure?

What parts have they replaced so far? (just curious)

I agree that it is time to contact Bayliner.

How far way is the next dealer down the road from the first one? You are not under any obligation to use the selling dealer for service.

I live in GA, bought my boat from a MI dealer (saved thousands), took delivery in Indy, and have had many things handled under warranty by an Atlanta metro Bayliner dealer.
        Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
        Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

So far he said it was some resistor. That was only thing that was replaced. He is the only Bayliner dealer around. There are other mercury dealers but when I call them they tell me best to take it where I bought the boat. Other Bayliner dealer way out of state.

Seems to blow the fuse when I am going and back off the throttle. One time it happened when I was going and didn’t touch anything. The 5 amp clean power fuse blows.

Very dangerous. If that blows while approaching another boat or dock or a bridge in mind or current. you have no steering or power to get out of it. Boats don’t have brakes

Comment

I only used Bayliner dealer for boat issues. Engine issues I use a Mercury dealer, and he is more than happy for my business. Don't let the Mercury Dealers tell you "its best to take it where you bought it." It's under warranty and a repeat problem, time to be assertive.
            "The Profit"
            Sunny Florida
            2019 Tahoe T16 75 hp
            2018 E16 75 hp......Sold

Comment

Originally posted by The profit View Post
              I only used Bayliner dealer for boat issues. Engine issues I use a Mercury dealer, and he is more than happy for my business. Don't let the Mercury Dealers tell you "its best to take it where you bought it." It's under warranty and a repeat problem, time to be assertive.
              I agree that Mercury Marine needs to be involved.....any Mercury Marine certified dealer could look at it.

I would call Bayliner…...I would call Mercury Marine.

I think that 5 amp clean power fuse goes to the ECM (engine control module)…..that circuit is not supposed to draw very much.

If the tech is sharp, he can hook up a meter in series with that circuit (to monitor current flow) and operate the motor at various speeds/directions/modes.

He could even make a recording of the peaks and valleys of current flow as the thing is put through its paces.

Was it by chance the termination resister that was replaced?

Mercury Marine can also tell you how much current flows under various conditions through that circuit.

That "spec" could help someone determine if your baseline values are normal or if they are starting off higher than normal (but below the 5 amp threshold)

Do you have VesselView Mobile hooked up?

Comment

I do have vessel view mobile hooked up. It happens so gas it doesn’t have a code or fault before it blows.

The dealer tech is not savvy at all. They just want to sell new boats and if it’s not a quick fix and you pull them away from making money they are annoyed

Comment

I do not know what resistor he would not tell me or show me

Comment

Originally posted by David C View Post
                    I do have vessel view mobile hooked up. It happens so gas it doesn’t have a code or fault before it blows.

The dealer tech is not savvy at all. They just want to sell new boats and if it’s not a quick fix and you pull them away from making money they are annoyed
                    Sounds like you may need to sever the relationship with that dealer.

You are perfectly within your rights to contact Bayliner/Mercury Marine.

Just be prepared to tow it farther and drop it off.

Comment

Only other Bayliner dealer is out of state. Mercury places are all over. But I called a couple they basically said the customers who bought boats from them and whobdock at the marina are their priority. It could sit for a long time before the tech gets a chance to look at it cause they are busy with customers

Comment

This is a very big safety issue and just trying stuff to see if it’s fixed is not acceptable. You can get seriously injured or killed if that fuse goes at the worst time. I do not feel safe or comfortable using the boat unless I am guaranteed it’s fixed. If not I want a new boat or a new engine or give me back all the money I spent on it and I will go get another brand boat

Comment

Originally posted by David C View Post
                          This is a very big safety issue and just trying stuff to see if it’s fixed is not acceptable. You can get seriously injured or killed if that fuse goes at the worst time. I do not feel safe or comfortable using the boat unless I am guaranteed it’s fixed. If not I want a new boat or a new engine or give me back all the money I spent on it and I will go get another brand boat
                          I know you are #%&*ed off about this. I want to share my "defect/repair" experience with you and talk about strategy.

My boat had some small and large warranty issues.

I ordered it in late April and was supposed to get it in June 2017.

When my custom ordered boat arrived, it had the wrong color interior.....so I refused it and lost about 3 weeks for a new one to arrive.
                          It was built in late June 2017 and was classified as a 2018 model (for that I am thankful)
                          I took possession just after July 4th 2017.

The actual Bayliner things were relatively minor, but a little irritating.
                          - loose screw had to be tightened
                          -2 snaps pulled out of fiberglass
                          -center medallion fell off the steering wheel
                          -2 cracked and loose dash switches
                          ---- several trips to the dealer for these

The Mercury/Mercruiser issues were major...….like big time...……
                          -defective load sensor- boat could only be maxed out at about 72 percent throttle. Not discovered until after I had put my 20 hours on the boat. Ruined my first summer of water skiing.
                          -would hang up in gear around docks due to elevated idle speed. Entire throttle and cable replaced.
                          -PS pump recall performed
                          -----each of the above require towing to/from dealer and the boat not usable for many days. (weeks in total)

The trailer issues were major...….
                          -defective axle had improper camber while loaded. Wore the outside edge of both tires in about 1000 miles. Axle and tires replaced.
                          -spring recall performed.
                          -----more trips and more lost time on the water (weeks)

It seems your issue is truly a Mercury issue. Engage with them and give them a chance to fix it.

I once again will wonder out loud if maybe a wire is chaffing or pinched and under certain physical conditions it touches ground and blows the fuse.

This season may be done but you have a good chance of a happy and safe 2020.

This past summer was our first drama free summer.

I actually did not join BOC back when I first bought my boat (April 2017)

I did not want the focus of my early interactions to be full of negative stuff...…..believe me I was pretty angry about the collection of issues I had with my boat.

I hope your issue gets resolved.....you deserve it!

Comment

I appreciate your response. Actually all the boat stuff I had I fixed myself just to avoid the dealer. And there are still stuff I will fix when boat comes out of the water either for winter or spring prep I will fix the issues.

The dealer or mercury has to fix this. Dealer was like can’t you just carry extra fuses or put a 10 amp in. I said that’s not the fix for it and this is 2 months now.

If the boat needs to be re rigged then re rig it. Problem is dealer has one guy that works on boats and does everything else and he does not want to spend the time on it.

Very very fustrating.

Comment

Sounds like you have a crappy dealer. Any Mercury dealer is obligated to take care of your engine issues while under warranty. Many Verado owners on different fishing sites have a love /hate affair with them.
                              Here is a resource to help you out.....remember while your motor is under warranty do not try to do anything to the motor that would void it.
                              https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...hrome&ie=UTF-8
                              http://www.veradoclub.com/
                              I have used Mercury motors for many years with zero issues, my current 2018 75hp Mercury is a jem!

Comment

Working...
                              X