2019 VR5 Speaker size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 VR5 Speaker size?

Looking to upgrade my OEM speakers in my VR5. I don’t have the boat with me, it’s 9hrs away at our cabin. Can someone tell me what size the speakers are? 6.5”?

Our VR5 didn’t come with the 2x bow speaker option. Has anyone custom installed speakers in the bow on a VR5?

I could only find information on older 185’s saying the speaker wire was already wired to the bow even with boats that didn’t come with that option. This would be too good to be true.

In addition is there any tips on adding tower speakers to the OEM VR5 tower. I’m thinking I’ll need an amp for these high power speakers.

Welcome to BOC.

I will be on my boat on Thursday and can take pics and measure them.

I don't know about the size, but I do know that my factory bow speakers are different than the two amidships.
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

Comment

• calkirko
      calkirko commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the welcome and bow and mid measurements would be much appreciated

You are correct on the need for an amp on tower speakers.... extra battery and heavy gauge wire lead from battery to the amp..I'm not a stereo guy but just researched that before opting for cheaper route after buying new battery and fuel pump system.

reached my boat budget for the year
    2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
    Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

• calkirko
      calkirko commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to tell my boat that it has a budget

I'm still researching too not sure if I want to get into too much audio work but bow speakers will be a must this year. Wish that they had them installed from the factory it was only a $90 add-on.

bump....so I can find this easily on my phone in the next hour or two.

Comment

Amidship speakers......look to be 6.5.

Comment

Bow.......maybe 5.25??

Comment

• calkirko
          calkirko commented
          Editing a comment
          Appreciate you grabbing this photo and measurements. Hope you had great weather!

• vr5200
          vr5200 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yesterday, 8/29 was a 10 out of 10.
          Low humidity. Temps in the upper 70's (a.m.) to lower 80's (afternoon). Bright blue sky. Little or no breeze which meant smooth water.
          A great day for watersports behind the boat. One of the best days of 2019 so far for boating.

The grill is part of the speaker, more screws in the back side with a little bit of glue hold the grill to the actual speaker. I took them apart last year and painted the grills black for a little contrast inside the boat...
        I'll post pics when ever I get a chance to get inside the boat, rain, rain and more rain. clear weather now and hoping it holds up

Comment

Originally posted by freechip View Post
          The grill is part of the speaker, more screws in the back side with a little bit of glue hold the grill to the actual speaker. I took them apart last year and painted the grills black for a little contrast inside the boat...
          I'll post pics when ever I get a chance to get inside the boat, rain, rain and more rain. clear weather now and hoping it holds up
          That is good information. I have never pulled mine out.

Did the speaker cone look to be synthetic and therefore somewhat water resistant?

Comment

Here’s what it looks like with a little time and plastic paint. I can’t recall the actual cone material but can confirm that it is water resistant based on its location and the constant exposure to rain water from the large gap in the cover for the tower. Had a few heated exchange with the dealer about this and finally I gave up.

Comment

Painting them black makes the added powered sub almost look like it came with the boat.

Comment

• calkirko
                calkirko commented
                Editing a comment
                What make/model is that sub? Fits nicely there.

Has you can see in these pics the location of the speaker in relation to the gap in the cover for the tower is perfect to test the water resistance of them. The extra material in the cover was the dealer’s solution to my complaints of the size of the original gap in the factory covers.

Comment

• calkirko
                calkirko commented
                Editing a comment
                A great tip I will get this done as well!

calkirko - the powered sub is nothing fancy, just one found at my local Walmart. Hi/low inputs, couple other adjustable options and a remote level controller aka volume knob. Despite being Walmart special it greatly changed the sound for the better.

Comment

For the sub, where did you mount the amp?

Comment

Working...
                X