Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 VR5 200hp prop

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2020 VR5 200hp prop

    Hi. Trading in my 2007 BR185 4.3TKS for a 2020 VR5 4.5litre 200hp. What is the standard equipment prop for the VR5? I have a couple of 14” by 19 four blade props I’m thinking of keeping for the new boat.

    Thanks in advance!

    #2
    Welcome to BOC.

    My boat came with a 3 blade 19P Black Max. I think it is 14.5 so your 14 should work.

    Just do a test fit to ensure all the hub hardware works well. You may need to keep the old hardware/hub pieces with your old prop in your toolbox for emergencies.
    Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
    Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks!

      Comment


        #4
        My 2017 VR5 200hp came with BlackMax 19p 14.5" prop which for me is perfect when just us 4 (2 adults, 2kids and full loaded with personal and safety equipment). I also purchased Spitfire 4blade 17P 14" prop which gives me great holeshot (torque) when more people are on board as well as towing (watersports / towable) However I think in the future season (2020) I will try to get something in the middle of those two current props.

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks Freechip. If you do another change, please let me know

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Zog View Post
            Thanks Freechip. If you do another change, please let me know
            Btw...…….I am presently running a Spitfire 4 blade 19P prop and it did provide less bow rise and a better holeshot. The improvements were not dramatic but they helped.

            I did not want to sacrifice much in the way of fuel economy. I presently burn between 3 and 4.5 gallons per hour depending on our activities.(most often about 3.5 gph with mixed use)

            Vesselview indicates that my best mpg is about 4.5mpg at 3000rpm with the trim bumped up just a bit.

            I wanted to try a 4 blade aluminum 18P prop, but nothing came from Mercury Marine in that configuration.
            Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
            Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

            Comment


              #7
              Being Canadian I'm dealing with liters and kilometers and I had seen on Boat Test that there numbers were 22L an hour @ 3,000rpm or something close to that and I can get those numbers when I'm empty of passengers on the stock 3blade 19p 14.5d prop. I find my numbers to be closer to 24L an hour @ 3,000rpm

              I'm lucky enough to have a Mercury auth. dealer that lets me try props before I buy as long as it's not an odd ball size and of course I don't damage the prop I'm returning.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by freechip View Post
                Being Canadian I'm dealing with liters and kilometers and I had seen on Boat Test that there numbers were 22L an hour @ 3,000rpm or something close to that and I can get those numbers when I'm empty of passengers on the stock 3blade 19p 14.5d prop. I find my numbers to be closer to 24L an hour @ 3,000rpm

                I'm lucky enough to have a Mercury auth. dealer that lets me try props before I buy as long as it's not an odd ball size and of course I don't damage the prop I'm returning.
                I used an online calculator that says my 3.5gph becomes 13.25 L per hour--remember, my gph is an average and includes idling time in coves and around docks and ramps,.

                4.5 mpg (my best) corresponds to 1.91 km/ltr
                Present Boat- 2018 VR5 4.5/200hp Mercruiser
                Last Boat- 1998 Capri 1950CL 3.0 Mercruiser

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by vr5200 View Post

                  I used an online calculator that says my 3.5gph becomes 13.25 L per hour--remember, my gph is an average and includes idling time in coves and around docks and ramps,.

                  4.5 mpg (my best) corresponds to 1.91 km/ltr
                  That seems extremely good, actually too good considering the reviews say around 22L per hour @3,000 and I'm getting slightly higher but I know I'm topping the heavy/loaded end of things.

                  Edit: now re-reading you do mentioned AVERAGE including idling, my numbers I'm talking about are current fuel flow. I never looked at the averages, maybe I should

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X